Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

How though, how can a group of professional NBA players not follow through on proper defensive coaching?
Unlike missing a bunch of jumpers in consecutive games with defense they can simply just not do what they have to do with the right gusto to the point it's blatantly noticeable.

There's no intensity on doubles, no proper rotations when they do double, close outs on open shots are halfhearted. I lost count on how many to es they got burned in high pick and rolls with the 1 and 5 or 4. I mean when a certain offensive player just beats you atheletically team defense needs to be played, clog the paint, force the pass, make them panic, apply pressure.

Coach or not, I don't know how you can be on the court just consistently getting outplayed when defending. How many times has this team given up a fast break after making the shot cuz they don't get back on D?

I'm not sure Rambis or Horny yelling at them constantly would help or benching the poorer defensive players.

Only thing I can think of is a punishing 4 hour practice focusing on nothing but defense all month. No days off. But Phil aint gonna hijack the team like that from Horny and Pat Riley is not walking through those doors.

Last edited:
At this point I don't think it's just an effort thing. Some of them are just incompetent defenders overall :lol:

all comes down to defense

i dont know if its the coaching but rose defense has been bad..... in chicago, the system was good, surrounded by defenders deng/gibson/ bogans/ butler/ noah so his avg defense at the time was protected

melo plays no defense

brandon jennings aside from full court press , plays no defense.... the whole team get lost on screens.... its just horrible to watch.......they would be a 500 team if the damn team would play proper defense

Since the lineup shakeup, I'm seeing that the Knicks can defend better now. They're just not doing it for 48 minutes. They are only doing it in spurts.

Knicks need better much better urgency in the beginning of games and at the beginning of halves.

Rambis has got to go. He's not inspiring the team to play defense at all. The only thing that inspires the team to play defense is the score. But that has to stop. The Knicks has to stop playing from behind.

Last edited:
Why is Ron Baker starting over Courtney Lee? No offense to Baker, but from what little I've seen of him, he should be 10th man. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Knicks said they only gonna play one side of the ball if they win cool if they don't cool, they just don't play defense and won't ever do so. This is easily one of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen in my life and it's sad cause the talent level is really high. They just could care less about putting in that effort on the defensive end

watching the replays hurts even more.

from the horrible defense in the third, to melo going cold, to forcing that last shot, to the wall double dribble, to the coach on the court...

this team stinks. have a good rest of the reason guys. a group of dysfunctional, slow, low IQ roosters. not just the players, the front office and coaching staff as well. ill be checking in from time to time but I've invested alot of time watching these bums find new ways to lose the game. a game i love a lot. i deserve better. we deserve better. so im stepping away.

take it easy yall. and remember, health is wealth.

coachwtf.0.gif

:smh:

We can beat Washington, Boston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee....we've shown this.

The only teams in the East, that are hands down better than us are Cleveland and Toronto.

But we don't close out, we can't defend the PnR, leave shooters open on the perimeter and insist on giving Noah paint protection detail.

Such a weird and frustrating team.

watching the replays hurts even more.

from the horrible defense in the third, to melo going cold, to forcing that last shot, to the wall double dribble, to the coach on the court...

this team stinks. have a good rest of the reason guys. a group of dysfunctional, slow, low IQ roosters. not just the players, the front office and coaching staff as well. ill be checking in from time to time but I've invested alot of time watching these bums find new ways to lose the game. a game i love a lot. i deserve better. we deserve better. so im stepping away.

take it easy yall. and remember, health is wealth.

I feel you man.

The city deserves better, Knicks fans worldwide deserve better.

i hope Washington gets fined for that ****. obviously, Lee should've taken the shot anyway, but these things happen bc the league hates the Knicks :smh:

Defense is a skill, don't get how people don't realize this. Defense is half of the game of basketball.

"If we could play defense, we would be the third best team in the East."

Yes, but unfortunately we do not have skilled defensive players. We have some of the worst defenders in the league on our team (looking at you D.Rose).

This team sucks, so might as well join me in evaluating prospects for next year's squad and watching the rest of the NBA which is glorious.

Defense is a mix of skill & effort. If you've played basketball your whole life, defense is apart your instincts when you apply effort to it.

Defense is a mix of skill & effort. If you've played basketball your whole life, defense is apart your instincts when you apply effort to it.

Yup

These cats are not even trying not even communicating.

They just don't give a ****

If they put it Max effort defensively we could be a average defensive team.

Not the worst

Last edited:
team defense trumps and individual player's defensive ability. all you have to do is communicate and you won't end up doubling necessarily, leaving a man open in the corner, or getting beat on the PnR. "corner", "switch", "i got back side", "go over top", "i got help"...its so easy

Back
Top Bottom