Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...azz-discussing-last-minute-contract-extension

Therefore, the best offer Utah could make Hill was for $88.3 million to be committed to the Jazz through the 2019-20 season, which computes to a three-year, $74.7 million extension plus the $13.6 million of available cap space this season.

He turned it down cause he was looking for a max contract ala Mike Conley

He could get a 1 year, 18-20 million dollar deal this year, ball out and get a 3 year deal for big money around 55-60 mil (basically what Teague got) and not have lost anything.

He could get a 1 year, 18-20 million dollar deal this year, ball out and get a 3 year deal for big money around 55-60 mil (basically what Teague got) and not have lost anything.

there's risk though. I know you understand that. What if he gets hurt again? 31 year old pg injured two seasons in a row? You're quick to jump on the clippers for having injured players.

He's not filthy rich like LBJ or KD, taking 1+1 with the risk of them getting injured. They can afford that.

You gotta take all you can get now.

I don't think you would be making a case for him if he wasn't considering the Lakers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...azz-discussing-last-minute-contract-extension

Therefore, the best offer Utah could make Hill was for $88.3 million to be committed to the Jazz through the 2019-20 season, which computes to a three-year, $74.7 million extension plus the $13.6 million of available cap space this season.

He turned it down cause he was looking for a max contract ala Mike Conley

YIKES.

But he's not taking a risk by signing a 1 year deal. I just don't understand that. He's not a star, nowhere near that. Those guys need to take everything immediately, guaranteed. What, Hill is going to average 20 and 8 all of a sudden? If anything, his performance declines. You don't get better as a 31 year old pg.

Rondo considering the Lakers? Oh, he aint a cancer.

Hill considering the Lakers? Oh he aint taking a risk signing a 1 year deal when he could have had a 3 year $70+M deal.

Come on man.

YIKES.

But he's not taking a risk by signing a 1 year deal. I just don't understand that. He's not a star, nowhere near that. Those guys need to take everything immediately, guaranteed. What, Hill is going to average 20 and 8 all of a sudden? If anything, his performance declines. You don't get better as a 31 year old pg.

Rondo considering the Lakers? Oh, he aint a cancer.

Hill considering the Lakers? Oh he aint taking a risk signing a 1 year deal when he could have had a 3 year $70+M deal.

Come on man.

What about JJ Redick? Is he taking one or being a loser by his deal?

And when did I say he wasn't taking a risk? Just that he’s a loser is a bit much.

George Hill has made 45 million in 9 years and could get half almost half that in one season, how is that losing?

Last edited:

And when did I say he wasn't taking a risk? Just that he’s a loser is a bit much.

George Hill has made 45 million in 9 years and could get half almost half that in one season, how is that losing?

Yes, JJ lost big time. He cost himself by being awful at the end of the season. He was looking at a min 3/$60 deal.

Saying he's a loser is a bit harsh. Nobody is saying loser as in loser in everyday life. None of these guys are losers. They play ball for checks,

And you nailed it on the head with the 9 year comment. That's exactly why he needed to get a longer deal. When you've played 5 years, taking a one year deal isn't as risky. But you're a 9 year vet. One year deals should make you panick unless you've made $100m in your career or have huge endorsements.

Both hill and JJ lost and took risks this off season, plain and simple. Only you and his agent would try and spin that as a positive. His agent don't even feel good about a 1 year deal. And next years class is way bigger than this year with the cap being unchanged? Even riskier.

JJ Re_ick isn't going to magically forget how to shoot in a year. He'll still get paid next year. He probably took this one year deal to make up for the money he'll likely leave on the table in order to go ring chasing

You really can't call any of these guys losers until the next deal they sign. What happens if the cap goes up next year and their is more money? 20+ million plus the contract next summer. That's not losing. But if they don't get that deal because of play or a flat cap again, then they lose.

George Hill had a big offer on the table and as of recently, was expecting a contract close to the max. TOTALLY different situation than JJ Redick who wasn't expecting anything crazy and didn't turn down deals that he might regret.

You really can't call any of these guys losers until the next deal they sign. What happens if the cap goes up next year and their is more money? 20+ million plus the contract next summer. That's not losing. But if they don't get that deal because of play or a flat cap again, then they lose.

The cap isn't going up though. And have you looked at the list of free agents next year? And throw in the fact that teams are showing more restraint this year (GSW affect) there is no guarantee.

Just look at FA list next year.

Can't believe we are discussing 30+ old players on the decline taking 1 year deals as not risky

George Hill had a big offer on the table and as of recently, was expecting a contract close to the max. TOTALLY different situation than JJ Redick who wasn't expecting anything crazy and didn't turn down deals that he might regret.

JJ was expecting bigger long term money though.

The cap is going up next year. How much exactly will depend on the playoff revenue from games played which is why it went down slightly from the projections in April. West alone looks to be a lot more competitive so their may be a bigger bump than is projected right now.

@daldridgetnt While waiting for inevitable Gordon Hayward Players’ Tribune story…another team making strong push for Nick Young, per sources: Minnesota.

If George Hill signs a 1 year deal with the Lakers, he by far the biggest FA loser.

JJ signed a 1 year deal And is older than George Hill
Leaving LA to live in philly, ugh
How is he not a FA loser
I'd consider it an L from George Hill..Didn't he turn down a pretty big extension by Utah at the beginning of the season? In the end only getting a 1 year deal rip.

Good pickup by LA tho

Last edited:
Bean might be the only person who actually learned something from Hakeem and he's not even a big man 
laugh.gif

Yes, JJ lost big time. He cost himself by being awful at the end of the season. He was looking at a min 3/$60 deal.

Saying he's a loser is a bit harsh. Nobody is saying loser as in loser in everyday life. None of these guys are losers. They play ball for checks,

And you nailed it on the head with the 9 year comment. That's exactly why he needed to get a longer deal. When you've played 5 years, taking a one year deal isn't as risky. But you're a 9 year vet. One year deals should make you panick unless you've made $100m in your career or have huge endorsements.

Both hill and JJ lost and took risks this off season, plain and simple. Only you and his agent would try and spin that as a positive. His agent don't even feel good about a 1 year deal. And next years class is way bigger than this year with the cap being unchanged? Even riskier.
60/3 is 20 per .JJ signed a 1 year 23 mil. I call that a win.Plus hes playing alongside young talent in Simmons Fultz who are great ball distributors. He'll have plenty more of big checks to come

Last edited:
Bean might be the only person who actually learned something from Hakeem and he's not even a big man :lol:

Ain't Hakeem's fault most of the dudes that tried to learn from him had none of the natural and general skills he had :lol: most were rigged stiff athletes

Last edited:
60/3 is 20 per .JJ signed a 1 year 23 mil. I call that a win.Plus hes playing alongside young talent in Simmons Fultz who are great ball distributors. He'll have plenty more of big checks to come

Are you that dense? It's not about per year. $60 guarantee vs $23 guaranteed all day long. He's not guaranteed to get a 2/$37 after this season. He would need that to break even. That's a risk

I bet you would take 1/$23m over 3/$60m as a 33 year old. I would expect that from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom