Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to look at an even more polarizing stat line of a future HOFer?

Peep my man Ben Wallace.

These new timeout rules upon first glance heavily favour the team that is winning. I gotta really think about it some more to be sure but yeah.

Expectations are a silly way to evaluate one's HoF resume, they change based on who's evaluating.

Strictly on the court, what he's done on the court,

There's no way that a 10x all star, 4x all nba player, 3x olympic gold medalist, nba scoring champ, is close to not being a HoF'er. It's not even a discussion. Same for Dwight. It's not even a discussion if they're first ballot.

Any metric, any standard, any era, that resume puts you in there EASILY

Last edited:

Depends on what your expectations of him as a player are/were.

Obviously he's not a disappointment in life.   On the court I'd say it's been pretty disappointing.

It's not about rings either.  It's about his total failure to elevate his game like his peers did, or ever become a leader.
On the court? He's a 10x All Star 3x Gold medalist and a 4x all NBA guy for what he's done On the court
laugh.gif

Future 1st ballot HOFer. Sad disappointing career. ****** want it to be one way but... 

Well Melo had trash teammates because he gutted the team in his trade to NY.

Made is own bed.
People say this forgetting that the Knicks got 5 players along with Melo in that trade.

True with the exception of Chauncey they were trash but it wasnt like we gave up a bunch of all stars.

Who was the best person traded away? Felton? The world never got see Eddy Curry and Melo link up. Oh noooooo
grin.gif

And the trade was one season. He's been in NY for 7. The trade didnt prevent the Knicks from signing people for 7 seasons. 

Imo the worst thing we gave away was the first rounder 
mean.gif

Incredible that people in here don't think Melo and Dwight are HOF worthy :lol:

**** pisses me off.

Im starting to come to the idea.....that people are that stupid that Dwight won't actually be first ballot HOF. Like the perception of Dwight Howard's career is soooooo warped by the average NBA fan that they truly think he's a bust, and not HOF material.

Dwight from 06-15 had success and numbers that rival with the bottom 5 of the best centers of all time.

This.

No Dwight has had a better career IMO, but I think Dwight span of being elite from 2008-2012 is kinda short..... but that's just me
It's really short, but Dwight has had a weird career.  Includes 3 consecutive DPOY, a finals appearance, and what should have been an MVP award though.

For the record I think both Dwight and Melo are HOFers.  For all my problems with Melo he does deserve to be in based on current basketball HOF standards, plus his college title.
I agree. I just think on the basis of any other sports HOF, they wouldn't make it. Example CJ81 has been probably the most dominate receiver in the NFL, but he's not a shoe in.

That isn't the "scheme of life". 

I'm speaking within the schematics of professional athletes period.

What the **** are "early expectations"? Do guys get drafted with a pre-determined set of expectations or something? Don't we judge them based on what they've done?

You cannot point to Carmelo's resume and say that the guy ISN'T one of the best players of his generation. The only people that do are the ones that have some sort of personal vendettas against these guys. 
He was expected to be a superstar on the level of LeBron, Wade, Durant, Dirk, Chris Paul, etc.  He probably should have been ROTY over LeBron.

He was never able to reach that level and his peers left him in the dust.  Then a new generation came in and left him in the dust too.

He was never able to expand his game beyond somewhat inefficient scoring.  He never learned how to run an offense.  He never learned how to be a leader.  He never won anything.  Never was in contention for an MVP.  

For someone who came into the league with his level of technical talent, I consider that disappointing.

Last edited:
The one thing I worry about with Dwight, is that his perception is really ****** up.

And that'll matter because if he plays another 5, 6 years, it'll only get worse.

Dwight and Melo are HOFers ANYWAY you slice it. Strictly from an NBA perspective...they're easily first ballot.

He was expected to be a superstar on the level of LeBron, Wade, Durant, Dirk, Chris Paul, etc.  He probably should have been ROTY over LeBron.

He was never able to reach that level and his peers left him in the dust.  Then a new generation came in and left him in the dust too.

He was never able to expand his game beyond somewhat inefficient scoring.  He never learned how to run an offense.  He never learned how to be a leader.

For someone who came into the league with his level of technical talent, I consider that disappointing.
Let's toss ALL opinion out of this discussion.

Based on Carmelo's resume as a professional basketball player...has he had a decorated career. Yes or No?

Expectations are a silly way to evaluate one's HoF resume, they change based on who's evaluating.

Strictly on the court, what he's done on the court,

There's no way that a 10x all star, 4x all nba player, 3x olympic gold medalist, nba scoring champ, is close to not being a HoF'er. It's not even a discussion. Same for Dwight. It's not even a discussion if they're first ballot.

Any metric, any standard, any era, that resume puts you in there EASILY
Averaged 22 and 10 and won a national championship in his one year at Cuse too.

Let's toss ALL opinion out of this discussion.

Based on Carmelo's resume as a professional basketball player...has he had a decorated career. Yes or No?
He's made a lot of All-Star teams.  He's decorated in that sense.

You seem to be missing my point that he was expected to be an A-level star like his peers and he settled at B-level.  That's what's disappointing.

And yes, "disappointing" is always going to be an opinion homie.

Took a picture of your decorations below:

Last edited:
I don't have my own special measuring stick that quantifies what decorated is.

Based on the same METRICS that all athletes get judged on indivually...personal accolades and accomplishments...has he had a decorated career?

This really isn't rocket science here. 

what do you mean by decorated? you seen the poverty patches b

Those patches inconsistent as hell.

Kyrie got a patch for 3 point CONTEST champion.....But Melo don't got one for Scoring Title. Or Harden don't got one for 6MOTY. And there's no patch for all defensive team or all NBA. Weird as hell.

That ROY patch should be Melos too....but that's another story:smh:

Melo isn't the generational talent Lebron, Dirk, or Durant are. His NBA comparison was Big Dog coming in.

Hmmm idk...is melo not a generational talent? size and speed? footwork? shooting ability. dude was unguardable in 09-10. I'd say that's pretty rare.

This is what I mean by narratives circumventing common sense and logic.

"All star patches" is what we'll go on... 

what do you mean by decorated? you seen the poverty patches b

Those patches inconsistent as hell.

Kyrie got a patch for 3 point CONTEST champion.....But Melo don't got one for Scoring Title. Or Harden don't got one for 6MOTY. And there's no patch for all defensive team or all NBA. Weird as hell.

That ROY patch should be Melos too....but that's another story:smh:

good *** point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom