OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My dawgs continue to impress. Really glad we handled a bad Florida team like that. Defense and running game played well for the most part. Fromm only attempted 7 passes but did enough to get the easy win. I see us going undefeated in the regular season and playing Bama in the SECCG.

I don’t know that Chip wants to go back to Eugene. He was pretty eager to get out of there and to the NFL. Phil isn’t the easiest boss.

Some mid major/low P5 Coach is gonna get horribly overpaid this offseason.

What you talking about? :lol: he stayed for an extra year and him and Phil are still seen together
Willie ain't leaving though and Chip was pretty much offered the job before Willie

What you talking about? :lol: he stayed for an extra year and him and Phil are still seen together
Willie ain't leaving though and Chip was pretty much offered the job before Willie

Maybe I’m mistaken but didn’t he announce he was staying at Oregon and then bolt a week later anyway?

Was the “Phil Knight in the coaching booth wearing a coaches headset” incident under him or Helfrich?

C79F1446-93C7-4281-8289-53D88F40C7CB.jpeg

And wasn’t it that last year that reports of Chip not really recruiting or meeting with boosters started to drop?

My bad if #FakeNews.

Maybe I’m mistaken but didn’t he announce he was staying at Oregon and then bolt a week later anyway?

Was the “Phil Knight in the coaching booth wearing a coaches headset” incident under him or Helfrich?

C79F1446-93C7-4281-8289-53D88F40C7CB.jpeg

And wasn’t it that last year that reports of Chip not really recruiting or meeting with boosters started to drop?

My bad if #FakeNews.

Chip didn’t like hobnobbing with lower nobles but he’s tight with the king.

You make the Phil with a headset meme a bigger thing than it actually is.

Speaking of DeVos and her ****ed up family, I found out prominent Texas booster Red McCombs is the chairman of Blackwater’s BOD a couple of months ago.

The college football coaching carousel (specifically SEC) is crazy and I don't see it getting any better. You have 7 programs (UGA, FL, Tenn, TAMU, Bama, Auburn, LSU) all saying that 8-4 is unacceptable. I get that you're not paying a coach $4 million to go 8-4 but once you do the math there there's no possible way for all those programs to meet expectations. The fact that McElwain was fired and Sumlin is on the hot seat is crazy. McElwain had 2.5 seasons and won his division his first two years and, lets be honest, no one was beating Bama in the SECCG the last two years. What more do you want from the guy. He didn't even get to go through a complete recruiting cycle!

You have 7 programs with unrealistically high expectations and all that's gonna lead to is more firings. Teams are so quick to fire a coach that they don't even consider if better coaching candidates are out there. Let's say that TAMU, Tenn, Aub and Florida all fire their coaches this season, are there 4 coaches out there that would take those programs happy?

The college football coaching carousel (specifically SEC) is crazy and I don't see it getting any better. You have 7 programs (UGA, FL, Tenn, TAMU, Bama, Auburn, LSU) all saying that 8-4 is unacceptable. I get that you're not paying a coach $4 million to go 8-4 but once you do the math there there's no possible way for all those programs to meet expectations. The fact that McElwain was fired and Sumlin is on the hot seat is crazy. McElwain had 2.5 seasons and won his division his first two years and, lets be honest, no one was beating Bama in the SECCG the last two years. What more do you want from the guy. He didn't even get to go through a complete recruiting cycle!

You have 7 programs with unrealistically high expectations and all that's gonna lead to is more firings. Teams are so quick to fire a coach that they don't even consider if better coaching candidates are out there. Let's say that TAMU, Tenn, Aub and Florida all fire their coaches this season, are there 4 coaches out there that would take those programs happy?

He wasn't fired cause he was going 8-4.

I think McElwain is a good coach.

I also think there is a culture clash between UF and him and he was not a dynamic enough coach to be able to overcome that.

And all his offenses sucked, for one reason or another. That's not really gonna fly there

Last edited:
He wasn't fired cause he was going 8-4.

The whole death threat fiasco gave them out to fire him for cause. He was fired because his offense sucked and he didn't fit in personality wise. That being said, if he was rolling up 40 ppg do you really think the UF administration would have fired him?

The whole death threat fiasco gave them out to fire him for cause. He was fired because his offense sucked and he didn't fit in personality wise. That being said, if he was rolling up 40 ppg do you really think the UF administration would have fired him?

Let's see. If they were putting up 40 ppg, that means he would have actually been doing the job he was initially brought here to do, which would lead to wins, which would alleviate the need for Mac to make up bogus death threats cause he's feeling the heat from the fanbase. So most likely yea he'd still be the coach.

Let's say that TAMU, Tenn, Aub and Florida all fire their coaches this season, are there 4 coaches out there that would take those programs happy?
Justin Fuente
Scott Frost
Matt Campbell (But he's got like a $13m buyout -- gonna be a tough one to overcome)
Dan Mullen
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris (probably candidate for A&M only, and even that's probably a stretch)
Venables
Schiano

It gets REALLY thin from there, unless someone's able to pull a coach from a bigger fish...

Do Patterson and Gundy look around if the BigXii gets locked outta the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years?

Justin Fuente
Scott Frost
Matt Campbell (But he's got like a $13m buyout -- gonna be a tough one to overcome)
Dan Mullen
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris (probably candidate for A&M only, and even that's probably a stretch)
Venables
Schiano

It gets REALLY thin from there, unless someone's able to pull a coach from a bigger fish...

Do Patterson and Gundy look around if the BigXii gets locked outta the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years?

Everybody thinks they deserve the top coaching candidate each season. I think that some of these programs will be left disappointed with the guy they hired and will likely be in the same situation in a 3 years.

IMO new coaches deserve 4 years unless they do something egregious. Let them get their guys in and then evaluate them.

No chance that Sumlin sneaks out to an open SEC gig right?
Who's gonna hire him? Ole Miss or Florida? Just can't see it with how bad he's been in conference play, especially at home. It's brutal.

Arizona State or Arizona would've made a TON of sense, but it doesn't look like either will open.

Back
Top Bottom