OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He was also the DC for some quality Bronco teams, but yes the point is he's an average NFL HC, which should roughly translate to about a top 25 coach in CFB. From an X&O standpoint week to week the game is significantly easier than it is in the pros.

Sark didn't get fired until 10/12, Helton was 5-4 that season as a HC. Am I supposed to be impressed that Helton beat Utah and a Jim Mora led UCLA that season?

I think we disagree in that I think Del Rio is an elite DC and a terrible head coach who mismanaged talent and who has had two decades of evidence to show that. I don’t know why that would change at the college level. In 2 full seasons as a HC I don’t know what Clay is but I know with enough talent he’ll win 9-11 games and will always compete for the conference championship. I’d take that over Del Rio’s “should be top 25” every day, even with the accusations of Clay’s teams being “soft”.

Clay’s outperformed most of his peers like Herman in similar positions (yes Darnold, but also death penalty sanctions.) I can see letting go of Clay following an 11-3 conference championship year and 10-3 rose bowl year for Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or even a really really good coach like Gary Patterson, but for Jack Del Rio? For what? He’s a rich man’s Jim Mora. Should Clay be better? Absolutely. Do I think he’s fools gold? Probably. There are glaring and awful issues in his coaching style and results obtained from it. But I think there’s a lot of dissonance in the way people think about and grade Clay against other coaches.

Last edited:
Post I saw on another site with the top 2018 recruits in 2014 that I saw. (Yes it has J.T. Daniels before he reclassified) DTR listed as the top CB on the west coast, and a few other kids in different positions.
8015421.jpg

Last edited:
5 years from now who do y'all think will be better off between AM and FSU?

That depends. Personally I think aTm and FSU will be in a good space with both hires. I think both can get their respective schools to their peak, whatever that peak may be.

I could be wrong ( N41D N41D & tmay407 tmay407 could probably answer better) but I think w/ that contract anything short of 1 NC over the next 5 years (and 2 if not 3 over the next 10) will be viewed as a disappointment from the A&M perspective.

5 years from now who do y'all think will be better off between AM and FSU?

FSU, easily. They're a traditional power and Willie is a good coach who'll right the ship. They'll be back in the top 5 sooner rather than later.

When has TAMU ever been good? Not talking trash or anything but they're more in that "sleeping giant whose never woken up." The potential is there (fertile recruiting grounds, great facilities, lots of money/support) but they've never put it all together. They were a middling Big 12 team and, outside of those two years with Johnny Manziel, they've been a middling SEC team. I don't understand why they have championship expectations when they've never been on that level before.

FSU IMO. aTm is going to have some tough sledding getting through the below coaches year in and year out.

Saban
Smart
Gus
Mullen

Top 4 teams are going to be difficult to get through for an entire season, especially after Mullen gets established. Who knows what Pruitt will be able to do UTk. And if LSU gets the right coach ... watch out. They pretty much get pick of the litter in LA. If they expand the playoffs, who knows, maybe get their foot in the door. Current playoff configuration doesn’t look too promising for the Aggies IMO. Jimbo is one hell of a coach though. Just feel it was the wrong time to jump ship. If he were at LSU, i think his chances would have been much better. I’m sure there are many with stark contrasts from my opinion and I also could be horribly wrong as well.

He won't even play Smart and Mullen yearly. Biggest worry is playing Saban yearly, which is the biggest problem.

Scheduling alone gives FSU the advantage.

Jimbo will be able to recruit. He's proven that. The SEC seems to have finally hired good coaches at basically every traditional power aside from LSU. Going to be grueling if everyone gets it together (wishful thinking).

Greg Roman staying with the Ravens ends the Michigan talk with him... Jim needs to find somebody that is different in philosophy than he is... Was hoping Dickey from Memphis would get a look before Jimbo grabbed him... Would not hate the idea of paying a large sum to get Yurich out of Stillwater

FSU, easily. They're a traditional power and Willie is a good coach who'll right the ship. They'll be back in the top 5 sooner rather than later.

When has TAMU ever been good? Not talking trash or anything but they're more in that "sleeping giant whose never woken up." The potential is there (fertile recruiting grounds, great facilities, lots of money/support) but they've never put it all together. They were a middling Big 12 team and, outside of those two years with Johnny Manziel, they've been a middling SEC team. I don't understand why they have championship expectations when they've never been on that level before.
What was Clemson before Dabo though? Pre-Dabo is pretty damn similar to A&M. All it takes is the right coach with a strong vision and plan to turn around a program with good resources. I don't think we're getting to that level at all, but it's possible to attain.

Next few years are gonna be so rough for A&M though. Jimbo has a lot of work to rebuild the roster and bring in depth. Then Clemson and @Bama the first month of 2018, @Clemson and @Georgia in 2019. Gonna be ugly.

I don't understand why they have championship expectations when they've never been on that level before.
They've also never had the resources they have now and they've legit never run their athletic department as a legitimate department.

It's ALWAYS been a good ol' boy network run by a small handful of boosters who hired guys they'd developed relationships with through previous stays at A&M as assistants.

That ****'s dead.

The biggest determining factor in what happens at A&M is whether or not they can start keeping the Marvin Wilsons, Tony Browns, and Jeff Okudah's from leaving the state.

Offensive players don't leave. But neither A&M or Texas have done very well keeping the best defensive prospects home. Texas doesn't produce a ton of LBs and top-end DBs. You gotta keep those guys here.

I could be wrong ( N41D N41D & tmay407 tmay407 could probably answer better) but I think w/ that contract anything short of 1 NC over the next 5 years (and 2 if not 3 over the next 10) will be viewed as a disappointment from the A&M perspective.
Natty in 5? Ehhhhh. That's a tall order and I think everyone knows that.

Sumlin's not exactly leaving that roster in a good place.

SEC title in the next 5 and in position to legitimately compete moving forward? Absolutely.

What was Clemson before Dabo though? Pre-Dabo is pretty damn similar to A&M. All it takes is the right coach with a strong vision and plan to turn around a program with good resources. I don't think we're getting to that level at all, but it's possible to attain.

Next few years are gonna be so rough for A&M though. Jimbo has a lot of work to rebuild the roster and bring in depth. Then Clemson and @Bama the first month of 2018, @Clemson and @Georgia in 2019. Gonna be ugly.
Agree with that for the most part but the road in the SEC is a bit tougher than what Clemson had.

Back
Top Bottom