OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sony is my dude but he's no Saquon. Saquon is a better receiver out of the backfield and he's deadly in the punt return game. Part of that is by design though. If the entire Georgia offense was centered around Sony the way the entire PSU offense was centered around Saquon, Sony would've had a 2000 total yard season for sure. Sony had over 1300 total yards on 8 yds per touch (and this doesn't include any punt or kick returns) and didn't even lead his team in total touches.

You're right to say the gap isn't as big as people would think and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sony becomes a better pro. There's a reason that Sony is the #2 ranked running back on Mel Kiper's big board. If you're talking about draft value, I'd much rather have Sony in the early second round than use a top 5 pick on Saquon.

Last edited:
Devon Williams (who was a UCLA lean) and a couple of other west coast kids that Mora had been in on.

Because they’d just outscore people. UCLA is still going to have defensive issues and his offense isn’t a revelation anymore. The entire conference runs it. Only difference is he doesn’t have Helfrich or Frost there with him anymore.

The offense wasn't a revelation during those prime years :lol:. I have a lot of respect for Frost but that's been Chip's O for almost twenty years, and he calls his own plays.

The D's also were not bad.

#29 S&P+ in 2010
#33 in 2011
#23 in 2012

The offense wasn't a revelation during those prime years :lol:. I have a lot of respect for Frost but that's been Chip's O for almost twenty years, and he calls his own plays.

The D's also were not bad.

#29 S&P+ in 2010
#33 in 2011
#23 in 2012

Wasn't a big part of Chip's success though speed and gassing the opposing defenses and just running more plays per game and having more opportunities to score against what was a primarily slow pro style Pac 10 in 2007? Every team in the conference faces spread offenses 8 or 9 games now. Oregon's "blur offense" isn't unique anymore. We also have to be honest and admit that a big part of their defense was putting opposing offenses in positions where they had to try to score fast to keep up and they'd make mistakes.

I think Chip is a good coach. I also think he got exposed in the NFL when he tried to adapt his offense and that should be part of the calculus when predicting what he'll do 6 years later back in college. I also wonder what he'll look like without Nike and Oregon's facilities and flare behind him. I don't think it's crazy to question these things?

Peak homer Cardo back all offseason.

I'm going to give Chip a chance before I write him off. I know USC guys have a more vested interest in his failure than ever. :lol:

I just think it's crazy how coaches are discussed in here is all. I know there are biases in all directions but it's still interesting to me.

Cardo can't have nice things.

That new money attitude. Its funny. I remember what it was like when USC started to be great in the PC days.

Devon Williams isnt a UCLA guy as much because of grades, I thought

His grades aren't great but the schools that really want him put together educational plans and are working with him to get his grades up. UCLA could probably have him if they wanted and aren't even calling back. He came to SC during the Bruins vs. Trojans game and spent the whole time after trying to hang out with the UCLA side.

Side note, you finally buy that Rivals/247 subscription plan? :nerd:

Cardo can't have nice things.

That new money attitude. Its funny. I remember what it was like when USC started to be great in the PC days.

I'd just really gotten into college football a few years prior and was more of a Miami fan than anything. I rooted for SC casually bc my cousin did but didn't even fully understand what was happening until that 2003 Wazzu game.

^ relevant to USC rumors.

Wasn't a big part of Chip's success though speed and gassing the opposing defenses and just running more plays per game and having more opportunities to score against what was a primarily slow pro style Pac 10 in 2007? Every team in the conference faces spread offenses 8 or 9 games now. Oregon's "blur offense" isn't unique anymore. We also have to be honest and admit that a big part of their defense was putting opposing offenses in positions where they had to try to score fast to keep up and they'd make mistakes.

I think Chip is a good coach. I also think he got exposed in the NFL when he tried to adapt his offense and that should be part of the calculus when predicting what he'll do 6 years later back in college. I also wonder what he'll look like without Nike and Oregon's facilities and flare behind him. I don't think it's crazy to question these things?

So I should stop basing my expectations on what Harbaugh did in SF, but we should hold Chip's lack of NFL success against him?

camron.gif

I feel like we've had this discussion like 10 times already but Chip's O is more than just tempo, he was putting up numbers in the FCS even before he adopted that after reading Gus's book. The lack of further evolution of his O in the league is a bit alarming, but in his defense the lack of a mobile QB and the rule changes are not going to hamstring him in CFB like they did in the NFL.

Yes, the D is built to play with leads and compliment the O. They might run into some problems against a team like Stanford if the O isn't clicking, but against everyone else they should be fine. He's going to have access to much better athletes in Westwood than he did in Eugene.

Unlike on O, you need athletes to be good on D, unless your going to run something ultra exotic.

So I should stop basing my expectations on what Harbaugh did in SF, but we should hold Chip's lack of NFL success against him?

camron.gif

I feel like we've had this discussion like 10 times already but Chip's O is more than just tempo, he was putting up numbers in the FCS even before he adopted that after reading Gus's book. The lack of further evolution of his O in the league is a bit alarming, but in his defense the lack of a mobile QB and the rule changes are not going to hamstring him in CFB like they did in the NFL.

Yes, the D is built to play with leads and compliment the O. They might run into some problems against a team like Stanford if the O isn't clicking, but against everyone else they should be fine. He's going to have access to much better athletes in Westwood than he did in Eugene.

Unlike on O, you need athletes to be good on D, unless your going to run something ultra exotic.

Lol I was waiting for this to circle around to Harbaugh.

Sirmon is trash. Bobby is a fool for getting rid of Grantham.

Simeon does suck. Awesome recruiter and good linebackers coach though.

Last edited:
I just think it's crazy how coaches are discussed in here is all. I know there are biases in all directions but it's still interesting to me.
In here? Fans in general are pretty stupid when it comes to discussing coaching.

In here? Fans in general are pretty stupid when it comes to discussing coaching.

Oh I agree. I just find the discussions of coaches/coaching in here to be funny: "That coach sucks!" why? "Because! Moral victories are for minor league coaches!" "This coach will definitely turn things around and win a championship in 1-3 seasons!" why? "For the exact same reason!"

I know we're all guilty of it to an extent. It's still amusing to me.

Last edited:
Oh I agree. I just find the discussions of coaches/coaching in here to be funny: "That coach sucks!" why? "Because! Moral victories are for minor league coaches!" "This coach will definitely turn things around and win a championship in 1-3 seasons!" why? "For the exact same reason!"

I know we're all guilty of it to an extent. It's still amusing to me.

Is this a subliminal at me? :lol:

I always try to provide valid reasons why I think coach a or b are good or why coach a or b trash, beyond the myopic hottake **** you see on a lot of boards.

Damn, wanted him back. He's homies with Wilcox though, so makes sense.

Sark to Cal next year? When's the last time a former HC coached under his coordinator.

UCLA football facilities have gotten 1000x's better than just a few years back.

Always felt UCLA was a diamond in the rough. But i've been saying that for 30 years now. Great school, location, but to me, only real negative is football stadium is so damn far.

Wish them zero luck though

Chip Kelly defense were always underrated as hell.

It's because people are lazy and just look a traditional stats that don't take in account the amount of plays and possessions those defenses have to go up against.

Venables used to get this **** too when he was at OU despite having a top 10 D in S&P+ in 09, 10, and 11 before getting forced out by Stoops for Mike who is absolute trash.

Sony is my dude but he's no Saquon. Saquon is a better receiver out of the backfield and he's deadly in the punt return game. Part of that is by design though. If the entire Georgia offense was centered around Sony the way the entire PSU offense was centered around Saquon, Sony would've had a 2000 total yard season for sure. Sony had over 1300 total yards on 8 yds per touch (and this doesn't include any punt or kick returns) and didn't even lead his team in total touches.

You're right to say the gap isn't as big as people would think and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sony becomes a better pro. There's a reason that Sony is the #2 ranked running back on Mel Kiper's big board. If you're talking about draft value, I'd much rather have Sony in the early second round than use a top 5 pick on Saquon.

Your opening statement was 'Sony is no Saquon' then you went on rambling about how Sony >?< Saquon is AT LEAST debatable. Is it oochie wally or is it one mic?

Back
Top Bottom