Official 2018 NBA Preseason Thread - Jimmy Butler Does Things

Where will LeBron end up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousins best bet right now would be to work on his jumper. Be a more talented Marreese Speights.

Last edited:
somebody pull up that list of big men after tearing their achilles.

anyone who thinks boogie will ever look like boogie again is delusional

Peep the excerpt from an article below.

Notable players who have suffered Achilles injuries

There are several examples of articles that have compared player statistics before and after an Achilles — see these good stories on Deadspin and CBS Sports. That said, there’s always an issue with comparing those numbers. The injury may be the biggest factor, but there’s also minute limitations, natural aging, and smaller roles to consider.

It might be best to go through the most notable players who have suffered torn Achilles tendons, and how they recovered. For this exercise, it makes more sense to focus on established NBA players, rather than bench players, though we make a few exceptions.

Other NBA players who have suffered Achilles injuries since 2000 that aren’t spotlighted here include: Darrell Arthur, Jonas Jerebko, Dan Dickau, Jeff Taylor, and Christian Laettner.

Here are the most notable players who suffered torn Achilles tendons in the past two decades, and how they recovered from it.

Rudy Gay
When the injury happened: A January 2017 game at age 30

Before the injury: Gay was averaged 34 minutes while scoring 19 points on career-high efficiency figures with the Kings.

After the injury: Gay’s efficiency remained about the same as his previous season, but his minutes were greatly reduced in San Antonio. His relatively quick recovery process, along with players like Wesley Matthews, would seem to show that Achilles rehab has quickened slightly from the 2000s.

Wes Matthews
When the injury happened: A March 2015 game at age 28

Before the injury: Matthews averaged more than 15 points on 57.5 True Shooting Percentage in Portland.

After the injury: Matthews incredibly started for the Mavericks season opener in 2015, but he has never been the same player. His 2017-18 campaign is the best since the injury, but Matthews never recovered his full mobility and his two-point shooting remained well below his career numbers.

Brandon Jennings
When the injury happened: A January 2015 game at age 26

Before the injury: Jennings had played for Detroit and Milwaukee as a backup point guard and may have been headed out of the league anyway.

After the injury: Jennings had two stints with teams equalling 81 games. Neither was particularly effective.

Kobe Bryant
When the injury happened: A March 2013 game at age 34

Before the injury: Bryant was past his prime, but he was still a dominant force, averaging 27.3 points on 46 percent shooting that season.

After the injury: Bryant played six, 35, and 66 games in the next three seasons before retiring. He averaged 19 points on just 37 percent shooting from the field.

Anderson Varejao
When the injury happened: A December 2014 game at age 32

Before the injury: After dealing with major injuries for three straight seasons, Varejao’s 2013-14 effort was his healthiest yet, playing 65 games. He made it through 26 games in 2014 before the torn Achilles.

After the injury: Varejao played 67 games and just 588 minutes in the next two seasons, combined. The injury effectively ended his career.

Chauncey Billups
When the injury happened: A February 2012 game at age 35

Before the injury: Billups was still averaging 15 points that season before his Achilles injury, though he was only shooting 36 percent from the field.

After the injury: Billups played just 41 more games over the next two seasons before retiring.

Mehmet Okur
When the injury happened: An April 2010 playoff game at age 30

Before the injury: Okur averaged 13.5 points and 7.1 rebounds during the 2009-10 regular season, starting all 73 games for Utah.

After the injury: Okur played just 30 more games across two seasons for the Jazz and Nets. Neither were particularly effective.

Elton Brand
When the injury happened: An August 2007 offseason workout at age 28

Before the injury: Through his first nine seasons, Brand averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds as an athletic force known for his leaping abilities. It wasn’t ridiculous to think that Brand could have been a Hall of Fame candidate if he had been allowed to continue his prime uninterrupted.

After the injury: Brand averaged 15 points and eight rebounds during the 2010-11 season, but never eclipsed those numbers in any other one.

In an interview with InsideSocal.com, Brand said this:

I didn’t have the same explosiveness that I had. I regained and then I relost it. I didn’t have it. I had to change my game a little bit where I jumped off two feet and I was a little bit slower.
Voshon Lenard
When the injury happened: A December 2004 game at age 30

Before the injury: Lenard was one of the league’s best shooters, and finished his career just shy of 1,000 made threes. In the 2003-04 season, he averaged 14 points while playing 73 games for the Denver Nuggets.

After the injury: Lenard only played 29 more games across two seasons following his torn Achilles tendon.

Maurice Taylor
When the injury happened: A September 2001 offseason workout at age 24

Before the injury: Taylor was a promising young player for the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers, averaging 14 points and five rebounds in his first four seasons.

After the injury: Taylor never even reached his rookie season numbers again, averaging just eight points, although he did play 286 more games.

LaPhonso Ellis
When the injury happened: An April 1997 game at age 26

Before the injury: Ellis was a high-flier in the 90s in the midst of a career year, averaging 22 points and seven rebounds before the torn Achilles.

After the injury: Ellis played six more seasons, but he never even hit 15 points per game again and averaged just 9.3 during 357 more games.

Dominique Wilkins
When the injury happened: A January 1992 game at age 32

Before the injury: Wilkins is a strange case, and perhaps not perfectly comparable, given his injury happened nearly 25 years ago with few similar examples since.

After the injury: No player has ever recovered to the same level that Wilkins did after a torn Achilles. Across Wilkins’ next two seasons, he averaged 28 points and nearly seven rebounds per game on 45 percent shooting. His numbers declined the next year, but Wilkins also turned 35 — it was going to happen eventually.

DlKOts_W4AUksp1.jpg

Cedi and the second, third, and fourth best SFs in the league

- animal thug (or whatever cavs fan said he was gonna be a star), probably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom