OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

He would’ve gotten killed by the other coaches on the recruiting trail in he did that. He wasn’t doing him a solid, he understands how bad of a look that would be especially when opposing coaches would come into a black players home and mention he replaced a black quarterback who went 16-2 with a white quarterback. Dude is a racist pos but he ain’t stupid.

What are you talking about? The best player in the history of their program is a black QB. Also, Deshaun took the job from a white QB. Stop being stupid

Dabo played himself. Sunshine is legit but he's frail

Jake gonna start next year, but Fields will takeover in the playoffs pushing Fromm to leave early for NFL.

I've seen several mock drafts that have Jake as a first round pick, I don't see him staying for his senior year.

I mean... Dabo could’ve strung Kelly along another week to kill the transfer.

He did him a solid doing it now and saving the year of eligibility.

I do believe he wanted to see how Trevor fared in live action, but there's an offense that Dabo wants to run that he feels Trevor operates better, so the writing's been on the wall since the spring. We can't blame Dabo for Kelly not transferring earlier but I wouldn't go so far as to say "he did him a solid."

Kelly got benched after taking them to a playoff last year, for a freshman who's done nothing, and after he made Dabo and the school lot richer. In a college sports landscape where a constant narrative is how players are used by adults and coaches and then discarded once they are no longer profitable, the outrage over that doesn't have to be fake.

And yes, I - and I'm sure the players and their families - understand that as a general rule, "it be's like that sometimes."

I mean... Dabo could’ve strung Kelly along another week to kill the transfer.

He did him a solid doing it now and saving the year of eligibility.

Also, how much do you REALLY believe this was a decision made by Dabo on his timeline and not one pushed by Kelly and his people? Come on :lol:

I swear, I hate when I see fans get on college kids for doing what's best for them. Kelly did all the right things, wasn't a distraction and yet fans are still calling him a quitter. If these fans are being honest with themselves, they know that they would tell their son to do the exact same thing. As lame as a think Dabo Luther King is, I do respect him for being honest and upfront with Kelly in allowing him to save his final year of eligibility. This is the route that Jalen Hurts should have taken, as intimidating as Saban can be, he should have just been straight up with Jalen.

I do believe he wanted to see how Trevor fared in live action, but there's an offense that Dabo wants to run that he feels Trevor operates better, so the writing's been on the wall since the spring. We can't blame Dabo for Kelly not transferring earlier but I wouldn't go so far as to say "he did him a solid."

Kelly got benched after taking them to a playoff last year, for a freshman who's done nothing, and after he made Dabo and the school lot richer. In a college sports landscape where a constant narrative is how players are used by adults and coaches and then discarded once they are no longer profitable, the outrage over that doesn't have to be fake.

And yes, I - and I'm sure the players and their families - understand that as a general rule, "it be's like that sometimes."

Did he really “take” them, or was he a part of the team?

Honest question, we would be having this discussion if a senior LT got displaced by a talented freshmen?

Lawrence has done nothing in games but we’re not privy to the practices. If he has consistently been outplaying Bryant, I don’t really see what the problem is.

Kelly got his chance in these first four games and he didn’t do enough to keep his job.

Also, how much do you REALLY believe this was a decision made by Dabo on his timeline and not one pushed by Kelly and his people? Come on :lol:

Stuff like that usually leaks out pretty quickly. I doubt any of the parties involved would have done that well of a job keeping a lid on this.

Did he really “take” them, or was he a part of the team?

Honest question, we would be having this discussion if a senior LT got displaced by a talented freshmen?

Lawrence has done nothing in games but we’re not privy to the practices. If he has consistently been outplaying Bryant, I don’t really see what the problem is.

Kelly got his chance in these first four games and he didn’t do enough to keep his job.

No we wouldn't because no positions are as publicized as the QB -- largely because there's typically only one who can play per team, and because they're the face of the team. But if we learned there was an incredible left tackle who was the anchor of the offense and who had never given up a sack and then he was suddenly replaced by a freshman who had yet to really play, we may not be talking about it, but I don't think those who knew the story would be any less justified in feeling he my have been wronged?

We do talk about non-qb transfers all the time, they're just not as publicized, but we also discuss the morality of college sports and foul coach behavior in here all the time too. We didn't talk about Mike MacIntyre as much as we did Urban for instance but it doesn't change that both examples are foul. We're not privy to the practices, true, but Kelly also didn't appear to do anything in-season so far to cost him his job. Would we be discussing this the same way if we had the exact same information except Trevor Lawrence was a 3 star? No. I think people would be a lot more empathetic of Kelly's position. By all accounts Kelly is a CFP QB being dropped for the new hot thing that we can't even be sure is as good as he is.

It's why people aren't making the same argument about Tua and Jalen.

Stuff like that usually leaks out pretty quickly. I doubt any of the parties involved would have done that well of a job keeping a lid on this.

Maybe, but the narrative I keep seeing is "Dabo called a meeting and told Kelly he was going with Trevor." At what point did he decide he was going to make his decision at the end of week 4. Would Kelly have even gone out there in week 5?

It's being painted as "Dabo the beneficent" but I doubt he had a choice. Kelly isn't Jalen Hurts. His eligibility ends if he takes a snap next week. I doubt he was giving Dabo 100% of the power in that decision.

Would have to be a spread option team. Auburn? Arkansas? Oregon maybe... except they want to go more under center and Pistol?

No we wouldn't because no positions are as publicized as the QB -- largely because there's typically only one who can play per team, and because they're the face of the team. But if we learned there was an incredible left tackle who was the anchor of the offense and who had never given up a sack and then he was suddenly replaced by a freshman who had yet to really play, we may not be talking about it, but I don't think those who knew the story would be any less justified in feeling he my have been wronged?

We do talk about non-qb transfers all the time, they're just not as publicized, but we also discuss the morality of college sports and foul coach behavior in here all the time too. We didn't talk about Mike MacIntyre as much as we did Urban for instance but it doesn't change that both examples are foul. We're not privy to the practices, true, but Kelly also didn't appear to do anything in-season so far to cost him his job. Would we be discussing this the same way if we had the exact same information except Trevor Lawrence was a 3 star? No. I think people would be a lot more empathetic of Kelly's position. By all accounts Kelly is a CFP QB being dropped for the new hot thing that we can't even be sure is as good as he is.

It's why people aren't making the same argument about Tua and Jalen.

Maybe, but the narrative I keep seeing is "Dabo called a meeting and told Kelly he was going with Trevor." At what point did he decide he was going to make his decision at the end of week 4. Would Kelly have even gone out there in week 5?

It's being painted as "Dabo the beneficent" but I doubt he had a choice. Kelly isn't Jalen Hurts. His eligibility ends if he takes a snap next week. I doubt he was giving Dabo 100% of the power in that decision.

Kelly was never that good to be making that comparison. Clemson was 45th in offensive S&P+ last season, compared to 6th in 2016. No one is asking this kid to be Watson, and Bryant wasn't the only different piece on that offense, but still a nearly 40 place drop is staggering for all the talent Clemson has on offense. Bryant was a CFP QB the same way Blake Sims, Jake Coker, and Jake Browning were CFP QB's.

And if anything Jalen has more of a grievance than Bryant, because despite his limitations he still made plays when Alabama needed him in big games (last year against MSST and the NCG in 2017 come to mind), and he had that offense playing at a top 25 level both seasons he was a starter.

Is it wrong that people would be more emphatic to Kelly if Lawrence was a 3*? Lawrence has been talked about as a phenom since he was a freshman in HS, and the kid dominated GA HS football, he's not a camp superstar. Even by normal 5* standards the kid is considered a phenom, I think it's more than fair to take that into account from purely a discussion standpoint.

All of this isn't to say that I'm not empathetic to Bryant's position right now because I'am. But I can't see how he's been done wrong in this situation. He got beat out by a younger, and more likely talented player. That's sports at almost any level.

Last edited:
Would have to be a spread option team. Auburn? Arkansas? Oregon maybe... except they want to go more under center and Pistol?

Pistol is just a formation it's not an offense. You can do just about all the stuff from the pistol that you can from the standard gun. All it does is give you a different angle in the run game.

All these spread teams tell kids they are going to run more under center looks to prepare them for the NFL and never do it. I wouldn't read much in to that.

I swear, I hate when I see fans get on college kids for doing what's best for them. Kelly did all the right things, wasn't a distraction and yet fans are still calling him a quitter. If these fans are being honest with themselves, they know that they would tell their son to do the exact same thing. As lame as a think Dabo Luther King is, I do respect him for being honest and upfront with Kelly in allowing him to save his final year of eligibility. This is the route that Jalen Hurts should have taken, as intimidating as Saban can be, he should have just been straight up with Jalen.

It b funny if Hurts actually went to Clemson and beat Alabama..........He aint a bad QB, just sometimes his throws are off from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom