OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

It's kind of meaningless to discuss the death penalty today because the NCAA is never going to levy it again in the age of TV contracts, but the death penalty would have hurt PSU a lot more. Their whole roster would have been raided, every single one of those kids would have been immediately eligible anywhere they wanted, and the year after their team would have been made up of walkons, freshmen, JC guys, and the few stragglers who decided to stay.

The death penalty is the reason SMU is what it is today, had they not got caught, there's a decent chance they might be in the Big XII right now instead of TCU.

Oh yeah I didn’t even think about the current roster being raised and able to leave. I just always thought it would be hard to recruit a kid and say “in your 4 years here you will never have the chance to play in a bowl game”. Then again it’d be hard to recruit a kid and tell them you essentially won’t have a team the first year.

They couldn’t hold practices or anything during that death penalty right?

Oh yeah I didn’t even think about the current roster being raised and able to leave. I just always thought it would be hard to recruit a kid and say “in your 4 years here you will never have the chance to play in a bowl game”. Then again it’d be hard to recruit a kid and tell them you essentially won’t have a team the first year.

No just conditioning drills. In 88 they also weren't allowed any home games so it essentially was a 1.5 year death penalty.

Please god, I hope Swann hires an outsider. I’m tired of the coaching hires trying to chase the glory of Pete Carroll. Del Rio is another boring Helton type hire. USC is a blue blood. Hire a blue blood type coach.

I've never understood those insular, "Michigan Man", "he's one of us" type hires. At the end of the day, you need to go with the guy that can win you games. Who cares if he's an alum?

SC got hit short of the death penalty but the bowl ban, scholarship reduction, and immediate transfer eligibility destroyed the program. Kiffin did an amazing job of limiting the immediate and obvious impact, and that 10-2 season he had in 2011 made things look a lot better than they were but the program was dead. They were field a team of 43 players at some point and lost games to ASU and Arizona just off there being no one to sub in and the players being absolutely gassed. Then you factor in that you're practicing against walk ons and joe schmoes and it's a program killer.

The program had enough history that it would eventually bounce back (PSU would have been similar if they'd been hit as hard I imagine) but imagine if a school like Baylor got anything close to a death penalty. It'd set them back 10 years.

I've never understood those insular, "Michigan Man", "he's one of us" type hires. At the end of the day, you need to go with the guy that can win you games. Who cares if he's an alum?

People overate fit, and coaching searches are very political.

My dumb a** thought those AJ3s were going on sale lol. I would have copped if so. Should have known they were PEs.

Last edited:
Del Rio thing is true. He hasn't spoken to the school but he's lobbying boosters to force a move.

Working hard on this kid nako xl nako xl
ED10D7F5-C470-4520-B11A-6EB2DEF0D128.jpeg

OSU better get a running game before the face michigan or its big time trouble and the weather now starting to get cooler and texas text offense not going to work in windy and cold weathers

Back
Top Bottom