OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

The NCAA is to it's members, what Roger Goodell is to the NFL owners.

It's a cute threat, but the NCAA knows if they ever went through with it they would accelerate the eventual breakaway of the P5.

Initial conversations this week among league officials and representatives from member schools indicate the American Athletic Conference is unlikely to replace UConn, a source with close ties to the league told The Enquirer.

While the Huskies leaving for the Big East Conference diminishes the AAC's basketball brand, the conference will likely remain at 11 football-member schools because, despite speculation among national media outlets about potential additions on the gridiron, there doesn’t appear to be a school that would agree to join and add value to the league.

Air Force, Army, BYU, Georgia State, UAB and others have been mentioned as potential targets. But while a number of programs could realistically perform at a higher level than UConn on the football field, it's hard to find a match that could provide enough prestige, ticket sales, marketing and, most importantly, ESPN viewers and subscribers to make sense.

Boise State, another school floated in the mix, shouldn’t be seriously considered as a target either because, according to the source, there would likely be no benefits for the Broncos to leave the Mountain West Conference for any conference not among the Power Five.

And that’s OK, according to the source who said the AAC doesn’t need 12 teams in football due to overall numbers not carrying as much importance as it did when the league added East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa in 2014 (Wichita State joined as a non-football member in 2017) in response to losing former member schools Louisville and Rutgers.

Though Tulane had a winning record last season, the newest members haven’t helped the league much in football, but in that regard, UConn leaving does the conference a favor. The Huskies went 18-55 since joining the AAC in 2013, including 3-9 in 2017 and 1-11 last season and, according to the source, frustrated representatives from member schools due to a perceived lack of commitment to success on the football field.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...nference-uconn-football-expansion/1553756001/

I know the NCAA is trying to make the state of California back down but what if they just let the bill pass? players who choose to play at California schools can't compete for national championships, but they get the opportunity to profit from their likeness. It would just be a choice the players have to make.

Because their 3 winningest schools are in California.

There’s no chance they’re kicking Stanford, USC, and UCLA out of the NCAA or deeming them ineligible for pointing out the bs in the NCAA’s amateurism rules. They ran scared from Donna Shalala; they want zero part of a drawn out litigation with a the state of California. They’re bluffing because they don’t want to lose their nonprofit designation and having to talk math with the IRS.

NCAA changed their waiver rules :lol:

NCAA to tighten transfer guidelines, limit players gaining immediate eligibility
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lines-limit-immediate-eligibility/1569260001/

The key part from another board:
The updated language of that same guideline is less broad, requiring “documented extenuating, extraordinary and mitigating circumstances outside of the student-athlete’s control that directly impacts the health, safety or well-being of the student-athlete.”

This could start some battles between players and their former schools. I can see coaches/schools not wanting to admit they ran a player off:
In cases where an athlete was run off by a coach or essentially had their scholarship pulled for non-disciplinary reasons, the NCAA will require a written statement from the athletics director at the previous school stating whether the athlete would not have had an opportunity to return to the team. The committee is being instructed to deny cases where the athlete can’t document that they’ve been run off.

Last edited:
nako xl nako xl Greg Biggins out west saying that Miami is #1 for Jake Garcia and he doesn't know who 2 or 3 even would be. Sounds like he may pop after his season this fall.

nako xl nako xl Greg Biggins out west saying that Miami is #1 for Jake Garcia and he doesn't know who 2 or 3 even would be. Sounds like he may pop after his season this fall.

He has SC and Nebraska ties because I think he's a legacy to both schools, but SC kinda stopped recruiting him for a while after Bryan Ellis left and Nebrasksa has to win. I'd say SC is probably his number 2 if just going off him visiting 4 times in 3 weeks, but they're also going hard after Miller Moss and some other guys. If they're dropping off Garcia again it may be because of Moss.

casper90403 casper90403 Jonah T's mom is telling people she wouldn't allow him to sign with SC because Johnny Nansen "tried to pressure him and take advantage of his naivety" whatever that means and now there's stuff coming out about USC behind closed doors accusing Oregon of dropping bags the morning of signing day :lol:

NCAA prez lobbies to delay vote on 'Fair Pay' act

NCAA president Mark Emmert recently lobbied two California State Assembly committees to postpone a bill that would allow college athletes to profit off of their names, images and likenesses (NIL). The bill, voted out of the committee Tuesday with five in favor, one not voting and one absent, would be implemented in 2023 if passed.

"I recognize that there is a stakeholder group that the NCAA has put together to come up with findings and recommendations," committee chair Kansen Chu said. "The bill that was passed out of my committee today, which I supported with recent amendments, acknowledges the current NCAA efforts while setting the expectation that the process will be fruitful with meaningful outcomes."

Emmert sent a letter to the chairs of the arts, entertainment, sports, tourism and internet media committee and the committee on higher education asking that they postpone their vote while the NCAA reviews its own rules.

"When contrasted with current NCAA rules," Emmert said in the letter, "as drafted the bill threatens to alter materially the principles of intercollegiate athletics and create local differences that would make it impossible to host fair national championships."

Senate Bill 206, named the Fair Pay to Play Act, would allow California collegiate athletes to earn compensation from their own likenesses. It will now move on to the higher education committee, which would need to pass it by July 11 for the bill to continue on.

"We humbly ask that the California legislature provide NCAA member schools the time and opportunity to thoroughly assess issues surrounding student-athlete name, image, and likeness, including potential unintended consequences that might arise if SB 206 is passed as written," Emmert wrote.

Emmert noted that the NCAA announced a working group earlier in 2019 that will assess the potential of allowing players to profit off of their likeness throughout the NCAA, but believes one state changing the rules before the entire association and its members follow suit could create chaos and an unfair playing field for schools outside the state of California.

"Like you, the NCAA is committed to providing a fair, inclusive and fulfilling environment for our student-athletes and we recognize that reforms often are necessary to improve the student-athlete experience," Emmert wrote. "We have recently enhanced medical and mental health care, addressed gaps in student-athlete financial aid and addressed the time demands of our student-athletes. However, addressing NIL must be developed and implemented in a manner that maintains the clear demarcation between professional and college sports and ensures that education remains the cornerstone of college sports and the student-athlete experience."

casper90403 casper90403 Jonah T's mom is telling people she wouldn't allow him to sign with SC because Johnny Nansen "tried to pressure him and take advantage of his naivety" whatever that means and now there's stuff coming out about USC behind closed doors accusing Oregon of dropping bags the morning of signing day :lol:
its time we stay clear of JT. There's too much going on with his Mom. I'm over him. Not touching anyone from Narbonne.

Is all the Oregon hype because of Herbert?

Outside of him I don’t really think that team is all that special and I’d argue he’s a better “NFL prospect” than he is an actual college player at this point.

How does Stanford have the 3rd best NC odds with them having a O/U of 6 wins and 7th best chance to win the conference? :lol:

How does Stanford have the 3rd best NC odds with them having a O/U of 6 wins and 7th best chance to win the conference? :lol:
Because people are dumb. And because people don't actually follow the Pac 12? Stanford returns something like 5 regular starters, only 1 of which is a receiver, from a team that was forced to abandon the run and go air raid last season. Any NC projection would have to be based entirely on KJ Costello and Paulson Adebo carrying them and the assumption that David Shaw is due for a bounce back, and because people who have no idea what .

Is all the Oregon hype because of Herbert?

Outside of him I don’t really think that team is all that special and I’d argue he’s a better “NFL prospect” than he is an actual college player at this point.
Oregon has had two loaded recruiting classes and Nike and Cristobal sell hype better than anyone. Herbert is good, but the rest of the offense is suspect and they lost all their key receivers from last season primarily Dillon Mitchel. Their defense is also a little sus, despite the influx of young talent, and they lost Jim Leavitt which isn't being made a big enough deal. Cristobal has definitely made them tougher than they were under Chip and Helfrich but at the end of the day, he's still Mario Cristobal and they're still the Ducks:

:rofl:

Last edited:

Offsides
Still got beat off the line
Pass Interference
Mossed

I don’t know why they let these players get away w/ these kinds of reps at these camps

Me neither. The worst ones to me are the drills where they let the receiver/running back do 15 juke moves in open space.

It's like bruh, you know in real football you have the opportunity to make maybe one juke move before a help defender comes, I don't really see the benefit in simulating one on one football like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom