OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Momma has a stroke late last year and he’s the man of the house, I think. Getting that far away weighed on him and kept him home.

Re: Ehlinger... I love him. Think he’s great. Wish the circumstances around him were better. They still don’t have a very good offensive line and the defense lost a ton.

UT might "fall off" record wise, but I think they are more or less going to be the same team as last year. All the hype is because people only remember the OU and UGA W's, and don't remember the UMD, Tulsa, KSU, Baylor, and KU games.

I could see them being top 15ish good if Ehlinger takes the next step, but idk if I see that happening. I kind of in the middle opinion wise on him, he's better than the "throwing FB" label, but I don't know if I ever see him becoming the next Tebow.

Is Baldwin going to get his waiver at TCU?

They dominated UGA and the scoreboard doesn't reflect how one sided as that game was, but UT lost something like 16 starters from last years team and will be relying on that punch-drunk RB they've got playing QB to carry the offense even more.

People REALLY need to chill with these Texas playoff projections.

They had a bunch of games where the bounces went their way. That record could easily have been a lot more like 8-4. Sheeeeit (final score aside) the refs and Clay don't screw us, and they should have been down 23-3 to SC at the half.

“Spoke to the Second Wiseman today and he chimed in with this report...

"The incoming freshmen who didn't enroll early all made it to campus at the beginning of the month.....

Everyone is talking about Craig Young and his athleticism. Absolute freak of nature to be able to run like he can at his size. He has been the talk of the summer arrivals so far because of his size and speed. With the linebackers right now but might get a look at the bullet position during fall camp because he can run so well. This is a kid who desperately wanted to be a wide receiver at one time and Ohio State was able to convince him to commit as a defensive player after working him out at camp last summer, has a chance to be the hidden gem of this class.

Linebacker Cade Stover arrived in amazing shape at a chiseled 238 pounds. SAM linebacker right now and wants to stay that way. Mick and the defensive staff will be watching closely to make sure he doesn't balloon into a defensive end but he is one of those guys who would be first off the bus. Relentless worker. The coaches are very excited about his future. Paired with Young, Al Washington has no shortage of shiny new toys.

Harry Miller already emerging as a leader. Big-time work ethic. No nonsense kid that never complains and simply puts his head down and powers through the tough workouts. Never want to expect too much out of a true freshman offensive lineman but this won't be a three-year project to get him on the field.

Jameson Williams can fly. Will remind some of Ted Ginn Jr. because of his build and long strides. Not as game ready as Garrett Wilson but once he gets fully invested into the strength and conditioning program he has a chance to be pretty special. Has game-breaking ability that you just can't teach.

Staff loves the make up of this freshman class as a whole. Would have liked a few more bodies in it but the quality is undeniable. Some freak athletes but just as important is that it is one of the most mature groups that has been brought into the program in recent years."

more to come....”

giphy.gif

Lie szn will be here shortly!

NCAA considers postseason ban for California schools if state proceeds with amateurism reform

The ongoing national debate about paying college athletes has led to California setting the pace for progressiveness.

Earlier this year, state legislators voted -- by an overwhelming 31-4 margin in California's Senate -- to allow student-athletes to be able to profit off their name, image and likeness (NIL). This won't mean anything to most current college athletes, because the statute wouldn't kick into effect in 2023. There are still a few more policy-making hoops to jump through, but California appears set to be a game-changing agent in the world of amateurism.

Unless the NCAA can convince it otherwise.

There's a fascinating issue coming to a head here. USA Today reports that NCAA President Mark Emmert recently made an overture via written letter to two chairpersons, imploring California's State Assembly leaders to reconsidering the timeline on its forthcoming regulations.

Emmert's reasoning is that California's lawmakers could wind up inadvertently triggering ineligibility for in-state California student-athletes. The reason is simple and obvious: NCAA rules currently don't allow for players to profit off their own achievements, abilities, personalities, marketing -- anything -- while in school. Specifically, players and/or programs could be eliminated from NCAA-championship participation. That goes for both conference tournaments and national playoffs.

This applies to essentially every NCAA sanctioned-sport with the exception of high-level FBS football, which for nearly four decades has run its bowls and national-championship configuration outside the NCAA's purview.

(cont'd)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ols-if-state-proceeds-with-amateurism-reform/

“If there was an obvious choice to be our 12th team, that would probably be the way to go,” a source said. “But when the Big 12 was reportedly going to expand the last time (by taking some AAC members), our thought was we wouldn’t go to 12 just to have that number.”

FBS independents Army and BYU are the most likely candidates for the American’s 12th team, multiple sources said. “Both have many caveats,” a source said. It’s quite possible neither school wants to join, but as attractive as they are to the American, there are some concerns.

For Army, the Black Knights have been one of college football’s best stories the past couple of years. Back-to-back Commander in Chief trophies, a 21-5 record the last two seasons and three consecutive bowl victories.

However, prior to 2016, Army had losing records in 18 of its last 19 seasons. The Black Knights have benefitted from playing two FCS opponents each season – this year they face Morgan State and VMI. Would they be allowed to schedule two FCS teams a year in the AAC?

Also, their last go-around in a conference did not turn out well. From 1998-2004, Army was in Conference USA and never finished better than 3-8 overall in those seven seasons. Army left the league, in part, because it couldn’t be competitive. And remember: Six of those C-USA schools are now in the American.

“What happens if Army reverts back to the 20-year stretch before its current three-year success?” a source said.

A different and more significant concern would be how the Army-Navy game (if it was a conference game), played annually on the third Saturday in December, would impact the conference. Not only is the AAC league title game played a week before the Army-Navy game, but the College Football Playoff rankings are released six days before the game is even played.

That could be a major hurdle with no easy solution.

As far as BYU, the Cougars were nearly AAC members several years ago but the sides couldn’t reach an agreement.

“We were very close with BYU years before the last television deal, but they had too many demands and wanted to be treated differently on TV rights than other members,” a source said.

In other words: BYU wanted more TV revenue than the other league members.

“BYU does provide a potential late-night (TV) window and weeknight games and a (national) brand,” a source said.

But BYU might want to stay where it is: as an independent that has a television deal with ESPN that is expected to be renewed, a source said.

So the American has to make a decision in the next several months: stay at 11 or get back to 12?

“Is 11 better? With fewer pieces of the pie there is more revenue for the 11 schools to split than 12. Plus there’s no perfect or obvious choice as our 12th member.”

Another source admitted that “other than the service academies and perhaps BYU, I can’t see anyone rising up that makes it better to add than to stay pat at 11.

“I guess,” he said laughing, “we sound like the Big 12 when it decided not to expand a few years ago.”

https://watchstadium.com/news/how-u...ts-the-college-football-landscape-06-24-2019/

Bijan Robinson going into mid July commitment:

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Texas (though their mods keep telling them they lead)
4. UCLA

Bijan Robinson going into mid July commitment:

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Texas (though their mods keep telling them they lead)
4. UCLA

I'm all for players doing what's best for them but this is getting ridiculous. Martin just got to Miami, went through about a week of practice before getting injured and now he's transferring again. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but it sounds crazy.

Its fine, you gotta do what's best for yourself

I totally agree, at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you because nobody else will. my primary concern is the optics of the transfer portal. I think overall, the transfer portal is great for college football and college football players. Just a couple of years ago, coaching staff could tell you where you could and could not transfer to, now players have more control of their destiny.

I know a lot of old school fans aren't proponents of the transfer portal and I think they'll look at situations like a Asa Martin's or Chris Steele and say "see look, you giving these kids too much power and they don't know what to do."

Back
Top Bottom