**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the belief that player development is on the player. Sure a good coach/environment/system helps but does Josh Jackson not look lost in Boston? Is Frank Ntilikina an aggressive offensive player in Toronto?

Maybe. The circumstances or so drastically different...nobody can speak to how their player development would unfold in both cases.

Frank NEVER had "it" in terms of being an aggressive offensive player. At least from what I remember, I don't think that part of his game was a surprise coming into the NBA. I never watched any film of him and thought he had an aggressive offensive game. Of course a team can't GIVE a player a specific skill or attribute that they don't have.

But...what if he's on a different team with better talent, better coaching, and a role carved out that highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses? Maybe Frank Ntlikina could have a Marcus Smart-like impact where he's an asset on a good team because he's allowed to lockdown and explore his offense in controlled doses that doesn't hurt the team. Rather than trying to develop into something he's not on a really bad team? Who knows?

Maybe Josh Jackson isn't Jayson Tatum...but maybe he isn't THIS bad and we're talking about him as a potential bust on that Boston squad. Who knows?

Again...yes you either have "it" or you don't...but variables exist.

Maybe. The circumstances or so drastically different...nobody can speak to how their player development would unfold in both cases.

Frank NEVER had "it" in terms of being an aggressive offensive player. At least from what I remember, I don't think that part of his game was a surprise coming into the NBA. I never watched any film of him and thought he had an aggressive offensive game. Of course a team can't GIVE a player a specific skill or attribute that they don't have.

But...what if he's on a different team with better talent, better coaching, and a role carved out that highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses? Maybe Frank Ntlikina could have a Marcus Smart-like impact where he's an asset on a good team because he's allowed to lockdown and explore his offense in controlled doses that doesn't hurt the team. Rather than trying to develop into something he's not on a really bad team? Who knows?

Maybe Josh Jackson isn't Jayson Tatum...but maybe he isn't THIS bad and we're talking about him as a potential bust on that Boston squad. Who knows?

Again...yes you either have "it" or you don't...but variables exist.

That's fair.

I do eventually thank that Frank will have a Marcus Smart/Andre Roberson impact on a winning team. He really sticks out on a bad team because guys like Allonzo Trier or Trey Burke are gunning & he's passing the ball as soon as he crosses half court. Playing him with good, capable scorers & just letting him lock up the other team's best guard is the best path for him.

Fun article on Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura. He'll be 21 in June but he's blossomed into an intriguing big guy. Reminds me of the piece ESPN did on Luka before he came to the states

During one practice, Few criticized Hachimura and his teammates for a "dumbass" play. Hachimura grinned as he jogged to the sideline. He thought Few had complimented him by comparing him to Domantas Sabonis, the former Gonzaga star nicknamed "Domas."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25288415/the-education-gonzaga-rui-hachimura

I agree but Myrie had to go down for the Kobe talk to begin with. I could be wrong but his buzz wasn’t what it was when he was averaging 13 in the regular season before Myrie got hurt. It was about Simmons and Mitchell. Add to it he was traded for Fultz.

Fox and Giannis are proof that a player can succeed almost anywhere if they have it.

That's my point. He was a top 3 pick on a contender. That doesn't typically happen. His unique set of circumstances undoubtedly plays a role in how we see him.

The buzz wasn't what it was in May..but it was there. He was playing at an EXTREMELY high level in a very specific role that he had the smarts and discipline to thrive in. Even while putting up 13...more people were high on Jayson Tatum than they were on him at Duke. (I actually do remember a pretty loud "Tatum is as good as Mitchell/Simmons" crowd before Myrie went down FWIW). We were calling him the "bad long 2's guy" and suddenly he's launching and hitting 3's in a role that asked him to do that, when alot of people thought that wasn't an elite part of his game. Maybe it helps that he wasn't expected to be Kobe from day one on a **** team. Isn't he getting better playing with that team as opposed to playing on a really bad one?

The guys that come into the league and IMMEDIATELY change **** franchises while being "stars" are usually in a rare tier. There aren't alot of those. **** we may can count them on one hand in the past 25 years. That's a different type of "it".

Can we STAMP that Kawhi becomes Kawhi if he swaps places with Kyrie and he's in Cleveland? Maybe there's an argument for it...but I'm hesitant to stamp that.

Last edited:
I'm of the belief that player development is on the player. Sure a good coach/environment/system helps but does Josh Jackson not look lost in Boston? Is Frank Ntilikina an aggressive offensive player in Toronto?

Some guys have it, some don't.

I agree with this, but part of the development is also the strategy the staff takes towards a player. Like using players to their strengths vs trying to minimize their weaknesses.

That was a weak call. Hate when they reward the shooter for jumping INTO the defender especially when they’re straight up

kyle o'quinn racking up dnp's in indiana :smh:
he try to ish on the knicks..... and not even getting playing time in indy.... i rather get playing time ,,,,, wonder whats his thoughts now

beasely had a decent season with the knicks,,, he go to lakers and cant play a minute......lol

I expected Orlando to be much worse than they've been so far this season
Even as a fan I’m pleasantly surprised so far...didn’t expect much as usual ...but they started off ok last year too, difference is I know Clifford ain’t come in to lead a tank

Also bout time John Collins came back :pimp:

Magic unis

IdealOblongDuckbillcat-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom