Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

At this point, the only trade I would entertain if I was in the FO would be Beal.

DSJr
Frank
1 Dallas pick

But I know that's not going to move the needle.

Probably have to add Knox.

Y'all might as well stop wasting time adding Frank in trade scenarios when he has little to no value :lol:

Sorry to be the hater, but DSJ needs a lot more than a jumper. He's a bad decisionmaker and if he learns to shoot he's just going to be a more efficient chucker. But it would certainly help. Most likely scenario is he's going to take a ton of shots and put up a lot of empty stats on low FG% while not playing defense.
Dude what makes u think DSJ cant/wont improve :lol: u so down on him for whatever reason he's only 21 in his 3rd year. And idk where this notion that he's a chucker comes from he recognizes he's not a jump shooter yet so ive never seen him really just throwing bad shots up. His low FG% pretty much comes from his inability to finish at the rim at a high rate as of yet, which im sure will change due to his speed/athleticism + his handles. I feel like some of yall just like to categorize him with all the other "athletic shoot-first" PG's in the league w/o really having watched him play full games.

Dude what makes u think DSJ cant/wont improve :lol: u so down on him for whatever reason he's only 21 in his 3rd year. And idk where this notion that he's a chucker comes from he recognizes he's not a jump shooter yet so ive never seen him really just throwing bad shots up. His low FG% pretty much comes from his inability to finish at the rim at a high rate as of yet, which im sure will change due to his speed/athleticism + his handles. I feel like some of yall just like to categorize him with all the other "athletic shoot-first" PG's in the league w/o really having watched him play full games.
I never said he can't change. However:

"I feel like some of yall just like to categorize him with all the other "athletic shoot-first" PG's in the league w/o really having watched him play full games"

This is literally what he has been since college, so the change is going to have to be a major one.

I never said he can't change. However:

"I feel like some of yall just like to categorize him with all the other "athletic shoot-first" PG's in the league w/o really having watched him play full games"

This is literally what he has been since college, so the change is going to have to be a major one.
He played one year at NC State with bad coaching and bad teammates so I think it's unfair to label him all that based on his college YEAR. Plus he lead that team to some impressive wins in games they had no business being in. The Duke game in Cameron comes to mind. And he definitely played unselfishly when traded here when he really didnt have to considering our record & lack of system in place so i think thats something positive to take away.

I just feel some are extra hard on him for some reason when he only played 21 games here and was hobbled during his whole tenure. He's been had the tools to be one of the best out of his draft class. Just feel like he should be afforded the same patience as our other prospects & other prospects his age.

He played one year at NC State with bad coaching and bad teammates so I think it's unfair to label him all that based on his college YEAR. Plus he lead that team to some impressive wins in games they had no business being in. The Duke game in Cameron comes to mind. And he definitely played unselfishly when traded here when he really didnt have to considering our record & lack of system in place so i think thats something positive to take away.

I just feel some are extra hard on him for some reason when he only played 21 games here and was hobbled during his whole tenure. He's been had the tools to be one of the best out of his draft class. Just feel like he should be afforded the same patience as our other prospects & other prospects his age.
So you're saying there are reasons he has looked like a limited player so far and can get better. I'm saying he has always shown certain limitations and expectations should be low. It's two sides of the same coin.

Maybe I am more pessimistic than you. You say he has the tools to be a top player in the draft class but I don't see those tools—he's not an efficient scorer or good shooter, he's not a good playmaker and often plays selfishly, he's not a good defender and he doesn't have good size. In the NBA that combination of traits is very easy to find, guys like that are a dime a dozen and wash out all the time. I understand he was able to play the hero at times in college, but that's college. Lots of guys can put up numbers when you let them run wild and don't ask them to be complete, efficient players. NBA is a whole different game especially for guards that are on the smaller side.

Dallas clearly did not think highly of DSJ and was trying to get rid of him before the KP trade, and having a hard time finding buyers. That's obviously a warning sign, same as us shopping Frank around.

All that said I could be wrong, and you could be right and he could take a big leap. He needs to first become a great shooter and second make huge strides in the mental part of the game.

To many people are quick to call players bust ...
Yet I have said it many times ....

These kids are thrown in NBA situations without properly learning the game.

Jordan
Duncan
Dream
Shaq
Etc
Etc

Wouldn't have been who they were without great coaching in college and/or time to work on their game and fundamentals.

Obviously if these kids stay in bad situation they will eventually be bust, but if they go to a right situation ie Spurs they can and will.become great.

Mudaiy came here and had a breakout year after being a bust and that was without proper coaching and just shooting the ball.

DSJr has the tools to be good. Frank has potential to be a Rondo but better defensively and Knox has a stroke so ...

We will see.

Last edited:
He set up a lot of open shots in the few games he played for us, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Mitch and DJ alone had more lobs than we had the whole season prior to his arrival. He’s the only PG that actually could drive and dish.

I think it was actually Trier that assisted on close to 70% of Mitch Robinsons lobs.

Elfrid Payton is our best passer and most likely will be our starter.

He set up a lot of open shots in the few games he played for us, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Mitch and DJ alone had more lobs than we had the whole season prior to his arrival. He’s the only PG that actually could drive and dish.
Dot also had great chemistry w/ him on the court

Dallas clearly did not think highly of DSJ and was trying to get rid of him before the KP trade, and having a hard time finding buyers. That's obviously a warning sign, same as us shopping Frank around.
We were also having trouble finding finders for KP, yet dudes still crying that we lost him for "nothing" and should've kept him because he's a "superstar." :lol: Some of this **** is completely circumstantial on top of the fact he was pretty much useless w/ Luka there. Im just saying give it a year and revisit all of the "Trade DSJ" talk

We were also having trouble finding finders for KP, yet dudes still crying that we lost him for "nothing" and should've kept him because he's a "superstar." :lol: Some of this **** is completely circumstantial on top of the fact he was pretty much useless w/ Luka there. Im just saying give it a year and revisit all of the "Trade DSJ" talk

he requested a trade and was gone an hour later lol

he requested a trade and was gone an hour later lol
Well that deal was in place prior to the day it happened. Perry came out and said they were fielding offers for months and pretty much didn't get many favorable deals. The framework for the Dallas trade was in place for a little while. Also Cuban stated how he would've loved to draft KP (and they weren't even in the lottery that year i think) so he's been hot after KP for minute. Other teams just weren't willing to give up/take on much for him. I think that shouldn't be completely ignored. Not trying to say Kp isn't talented or comparing him to DSJ, just saying :rolleyes

Now ima be confused when someone call me for a KD...

Gonna have to bring a 8th and a Qtr. smfh. This dude messing with the whole culture man...

As much as I love this thread, it’s apparent who just believes whatever the media says and can’t fathom that conversations happen without being reported.

Back
Top Bottom