Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

Sooooo if we don’t cancel on Kawhi, is there a chance he meets with us and says he wants to come here if we get PG?

No he wouldn’t have come here. There’s nothing favorable about the Knicks organization right now that’ll convince big talents to sign here.

The Clippers got Jerry West and managed to put up a fight against the Warriors in the first round and have only gotten better. We just lost 17 games.

I know everyone says why wouldn’t you want to win here but it’s easy to see...why be a hero here when you can be a hero somewhere else with less pressure and better resources to help you? No point in risking your brand for nonsense.

They wanted LA but Kawhi said he would have stayed in Toronto if they got PG. I still think it was foolish for the Knicks not to meet with him.

Foolish isn’t the right word. Think about the position the Knicks are currently in. If they meet w/ Kawhi, & wait on him, then they wouldn’t have been able to make any moves to sign anyone. Now what if Kawhi would’ve took the meeting and went to LA anyway? Then they have no plan b b/c all those other signings sign somewhere else. Then they’re left w/ absolutely nothing at the end of the off-season which would’ve been pretty bad.

Foolish isn’t the right word. Think about the position the Knicks are currently in. If they meet w/ Kawhi, & wait on him, then they wouldn’t have been able to make any moves to sign anyone. Now what if Kawhi would’ve took the meeting and went to LA anyway? Then they have no plan b b/c all those other signings sign somewhere else. Then they’re left w/ absolutely nothing at the end of the off-season which would’ve been pretty bad.
All the Knicks had to do was not sign one extra forward or two.

Just enough to keep a max slot open for Kiwi. If after meeting they were down to trade for PG then we would've already had the assets to do that.

I'm good on that scenario cuz I'm not fond of the idea of PG on the Knicks or really pairing him with Kiwi anyway.

Last edited:

What if he said I'll play here with PG, then we get PG and we good.

We weren't holding out for big names. We would have still offered bums one year deals at a higher price than anyone else.

I'm not saying I think it would have happened either.

They wanted LA but Kawhi said he would have stayed in Toronto if they got PG. I still think it was foolish for the Knicks not to meet with him.
But then why would he want to come here? Toronto with PG is just a better situation all around. I’m not understanding the logic, I don’t see what we had to offer Kawhi. He never really expressed any special interest in being in NY.

Reading that it is likely that Westbrook headed to the Pistons.

East looking like (in no order)...

Bucks
76ers
Pacers
Heat
Pistons
Celtics
Raptors
Nets
Magic

Only see 6 teams being a lock... leaving two spots open. Gonna need at least 40 wins for that 7 or 8 seed. Honestly don't know if the Knicks get there. Would much rather we compete for another lotto pick than go for a first round exit. Although that playoff experience would pay huge dividends to the young guys. The team will need to fight to get there. We will see what the young guns are made of.

All I know is, with the west continuing to stack itself...those Dallas picks are gonna become VERY interesting. They’re a 7th/8th seed right now, if not out of the playoffs all together IMO.

I get that we struck out on KD. But I’m truly confused as to how the media doesn’t see us in the same light as they would the Pelicans, and now OKC with all those picks. We have young talent to develop, cap flexibility, and ALL of our picks moving forward...the hate for a team that technically hasn’t been “relevant” is beyond me.

With the relatonships we had in place, it wouldnt hurt to ask Kawhi "would you consider coming here if we get anyone you want to play with"

Maybe that happened and he said no. We'll never know what happens behind closed doors.

Reading that it is likely that Westbrook headed to the Pistons.

East looking like (in no order)...

Bucks
76ers
Pacers
Heat
Pistons
Celtics
Raptors
Nets
Magic

Only see 6 teams being a lock... leaving two spots open. Gonna need at least 40 wins for that 7 or 8 seed. Honestly don't know if the Knicks get there. Would much rather we compete for another lotto pick than go for a first round exit. Although that playoff experience would pay huge dividends to the young guys. The team will need to fight to get there. We will see what the young guns are made of.
We are a bottom 3 team. We don’t have a remote
shot of making the playoffs. Which is probably best for our future.

RJ Barrett signed his 7.8 mill/4 year contract the other day. Imagine being a 19 year old kid with probably not much in your account to getting a 300k direct deposited every 2 weeks for the next 4 years.

Obviously ther're taxes and all that, but still what a life changing feeling.

I mean his family was doing okay with his dad being in charge of Canadian basketball so not like he had a tough upbringing through poverty like many of us in this forum. But either way, he worked for it and deserves it. Player against enough people when I was in HS who never turned into anything with their basketball skills because they didn’t want to put in the effort.

Back
Top Bottom