Official 2019 OFFSEASON New York Yankees Thread: COLE OR STRAUS

Rollercoaster of emotions in top and bottom of the 9th.

Chapman started of great, then let Springer get away.

Started getting uneasy when Altuve came on and my premonition was right.

So many chances squandered during the course of the series.

What could've been.

Right, I felt this year was going to be special.

Things would have been a lot different if Gary and Edwin were hitting.

idk wtf Stanton Is doing and why he is injured?

This felt bad like the 04 series. Just bad luck.

Working on what I think we should do.

But if you think the Yankees can’t screw this team up this offseason you’re wrong
-By letting Didi walk, and moving Gleyber to a more taxing position for no reason
-Not keeping DJ at 1B which gives us more options
-Trying Andujar at 3B again
-Bringing back Gardner
-Not offering Dellin the same contract Britton got when Dellin could have changed this entire series.
-Not exploring Both FA and trade market for SP

all of these have a chance to happen, and they would all be disaster moves.

Chapman became the modern day version of Armando Benitez; Yankees got out scouted simple as that (too much 1st pitch swinging, Hou batters knew what was comming ); left too many runners on with the bases loaded (if they got 2 more hits with the bases loaded Yankees win this series); I expect the Red Sox to be way better next year (with their young hitters and healthier SP) and AL East to be tougher with the young Jays

Starting Pitching –
The way I see it, the Yankees need 7-8 Starting Pitching Options throughout the Year (injuries), and needs to be broken down to 4 Front End guys to pitch in the playoffs.
-Tanaka is a postseason stud. He’s deserving of starting Game 1 or 2, and a Game 6 or 7.
-Paxton had 1 bad start, 1 ok start, and a really good start in the playoffs. The first inning is the constant struggle for him, in 29 1st Innings in the regular season, he gave up 29 ER .282/.348/.667 in inning 1. Innings 2-8, he had 121-2/3 IP with 36 ER. A 9.00ERA versus 2.62 in every other inning is the only tweak he has to make. He only needs to be near average in the 1st to be an All-Star caliber starter.
-Severino is really bad in the playoffs. I think he’s a 1 or 2 in the regular season. But in the playoffs, he’s a Game 4 Starter. When he’s on, he is an Ace, when he’s off, he’s really off. I’d still keep him in every playoff rotation because who knows, one year it may click, but he’s not a top 3 choice.

-JA Happ, he was alright. But at $17million, we have to find a way to offload him to re-sign other guys who are more important, and make a run at someone for the rotation. I’d attach a mid-level prospect, eat half the money, and trade him.

-Domingo German and Jordan Montgomery – Depending on what happens in Free Agency and the trade market, they either compete for the 5th starting spot, or are depth throughout the year.
-Jonathan Loaisiga isn’t far off from where German is. If he can develop a plus 3rd pitch to go with his fastball and the spin he gets on his curveball, he can be everything German is
-Deivi Garcia, needs another year. But to be 20 in AAA, he’s a different type of pitcher. He is way too good for A and AA. He seemed slightly overmatched in AAA, give him another year to develop.

What we need to do:
Sign Gerrit Cole 7 year $210mil, or 6 year $200mil. Whatever it is, we need to sign him to it.
I believe that we should look to start consolidating talent, and see what is there in the trade market because we may be able to assemble the best rotation of baseball (Pool of guys we could trade: Luke Voit, Tyler Wade, Miguel Andujar, Gio Urshela, Mike Tauchman, Clint Frazier, Estavan Florial, Domingo German, Jordan Montgomery, Jonathan Loaisiga, JA Happ, Luis Gil, Clarke Schmidt, Jonathan Holder)

What I want to happen:
Gerrit Cole
Masahiro Tanaka
Luis Severino
James Paxton
Robbie Ray (Traded Luke Voit, Estevan Florial, Clarke Schmidt, Jonathan Loaisiga & a Player to be Named)
Domingo German
Jordan Montgomery
Those are your 7 guys who would make starts throughout the year. In 2021, a combination of Ray, German, Montgomery probably get traded.

Bullpen:
Not having Dellin was a huge blow to the team. Having him able to pitch in some of these games, high leverage situations may have won us one of the 4 we lost. I don’t have high hopes that he will be back. Some team will offer him closer money, and we will cheap out. But we shouldn’t let him go. He deserves the offer that Britton got. 3 years $39million with a 4th year option. Dellin is worth it, you can argue he’s the best non-closer pitcher in any MLB bullpen.
If Aroldis opts out, you have to keep him (Dellin isn’t a closer due to his BB rate, and no thanks to Britton as a closer). Yes, he gave up the walk off. But he did show that he still has the gas left in the tank over the season. If he does opt out. I’d offer him $1mil extra a year + 1 more year on his contract. He has 3 years $51.6 left on his deal. I’d kick it up to 4 year / $70mil.
Green – The swiss army knife. Same role next year.
Kahnle was strong all year, he recovered to his 2017 form after a brutal 2018.
Ottavino was our best reliever for the regular season then was garbage in the post season. I hated how Boone managed him, but he also was a real **** show in the playoffs.
Britton was pretty good, have no complaints, and also have no praise.

My opening day roster for the pitching staff:
Cole
Tanaka
Severino
Paxton
Ray
German

Green
Ottavino
Kahnle
Britton
Dellin
Chapman

AAA: Cessa, Montgomery, Jonathan Holder

2019 Pitching Investment $109.685mil to $156.117 mil

Catcher:

Gary – He’s your starting Catcher. And should be until he can’t catch or injuries stop him. I’m tired of having arguments about Gary. He’s very good. The amount he produces offensively, even in a down year, is so much significantly better than the vast majority of catchers.
Romine – If I don’t have much hope that Dellin will be back, I have even less hope that Romine will be. It happens every few years for the Yankees, they have a good backup, some team offers him a starting role, and more often than not it makes no difference for their team.
It’s hard to gauge what Romine will get, but if he can be kept for like 3 year / $10-12mil, you do it. But I think he’ll get that elsewhere + a starting role.
What I would do: Use a couple mid-level prospects to replace Romine who will get himself a starting job somewhere.

Investment goes from $2.469mil to $7.2mil

First Base:

As you saw I already traded Luke Voit. I love Luke, I think he’s got an awesome personality. He can mash. But we do have way too many guy, I know we needed them all this year, but it wasn’t enough, and we could use some more talent elsewhere. Perhaps we did screw him in the ALCS though.
But it’s not like we leave a hole, we got DJ. He’s a hitting machine, he showed some flashes of good defense at 1B. You also need to extend DJ. He’s got 1 year / $12mil left on his deal. Need it to be 3 year / $36mil, ups to $40mil with incentives.
To keep us with depth, Mike Ford deserves to be on the opening day roster. Lefty bat, came up big in some situations.
Greg Bird – He’s still under team control, I don’t know what they do with him. Trade him would be my choice, but he’ll be literal pennies on the dollar. Get possibly a meddling 20 something reliever for him. If he stays healthy (hahahahaha) elsewhere, it may end up being a bad trade, but you gotta cut ties eventually.

Investment drops $14,328,200 to $13,000,000

Second Base-
For the love of god, please keep Gleyber at 2B. He’s 22, and he’s a star. Protect him by keeping him at the less taxing position. I don’t want to risk him at all moving to SS where there is a higher rate of injury.

Investment goes from $605,200 to about $650,000

Third Base –

I was really thinking that we should trade Andujar. But in good conscious I can’t, he’s a professional hitter. What this means though, is he is never to see the light of day at Third Base, he is our DH. He was a XBH monster in his rookie year, but he is so bad defensively that his worth was significantly diminished, and he impacted the entire infield defense as well. Our DP conversion rate improved drastically, and there were more runs saved at 3B this year.

Gio overperformed, absolutely. He’s not a .314 hitter, so we should all expect a dropoff. But his defense is amazing. If he hits .270 next year, and is around 20 homeruns, and 25 doubles, he’s as good as Andujar would be with 30HR and 40 2B due to the significant disparity in defense.

Investment goes from $1,172,000 to $1.292mil

Shortstop –
Keep Didi. He’s proven he can handle being SS with the Yankees. He had some bad clutch at-bats. But also had some good clutch at bats this playoffs. The only flaw in his game is he’s too aggressive at times. I don’t mind him swinging at a first pitch fastball down the middle. He gets so amped, he’s looking to jump on the first pitch that twice he ended up swinging at a 1st pitch breaking ball in huge run potential spots, and ended the inning. He’s going to give you 25 Homeruns, around 90 RBIs in a full season, no matter where you put him in the order.

I could see him accepting a 1 year qualifying offer at $17.9mil, and entering Free Agency with a healthy year under his belt.
But I would offer him 4 year / $56mil, it would make him the 6th highest paid SS. The 10th longest deal. Tied for 3rd average annual value. Give him incentives for GP, All Star appearances, 30+ HRs, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger to could be up to $2.5mil each year of incentives.

Investment for Didi goes from $11.75mil to $14mil.

Infield:
Sanchez - DJ – Gleyber – Gio – Didi (Andujar at DH)
Ford, Backup Catcher, Wade on the bench

Total Investment on the Infield goes from $30.897 mil to $36.760mil

Outfield –
Last year of Ellsbury deal, then a 5 mil buyout. I don’t know if you just eat it because they can recoup most of the money from insurance (Hal will likely do that), or just offer him a buyout of 2 year payments of $11mil, and 2 years after that of $2mil each. Just to get some cost down on payroll that needs to be invested on pitching.
Stanton is the LF next year. I’m tired of having arguments about Stanton as well. He’s a great player, who had a ****ty year of injuries.
Hicks in CF. If healthy, he’s one of the more all-around CFs.
Judge in RF. I’m not very pleased of how he played in Game 6. But he’s still a stud.
Leads me to the conundrum of the 4th OF. I think it has to be Tauchman because he can play CF. A lefty bat, and is a stud defensively. He hits everywhere he goes. Another guy who I think hurt us pretty badly not being able to have him.
I love Clint, and want him on the roster, but I don’t see it. I still wouldn’t pull the plug and trade him either.
I do not! I repeat DO NOT want to see Brett Gardner on this roster next year. It’s a waste of a spot for younger guys who can match what Brett Gardner is. It has been an amazing run, but it’s time to part ways. Cue Green Day, Time of Your Life.

Investment in 2018 $65.288
Investment in 2019 $66.126

DH-
Andujar DH 100 games. Stanton 62 games.
It’s been real Edwin
Investment went from around $7.5mil to a $5mil buyout for Edwin

Opening Day Roster:
1-Cole
2-Tanaka
3-Severino
4-Paxton
5-Robbie Ray
Long Reliever – German
Swiss Army Knife – Green
Middle Inning Guys – Kahnle, Ottavino
7th Inning – Britton
8th Inning – Dellin
9th Inning Chapman
C – Gary Sanchez, Whoever we trade for
1B- DJ LeMahieu, Mike Ford
2B – Gleyber, Tyler Wade
3B – Gio
LF – Stanton
CF – Hicks
RF – Judge
UTL OF – Tauchman
DH – Andujar

Rosters move up to 26 next year, 1 roster spot open for whoever makes an impression.

Last edited:
I expect the Red Sox to be way better next year (with their young hitters and healthier SP) and AL East to be tougher with the young Jays

Red Sox already said they were cutting payroll, and they said they probably will end up losing one of JD Martinez or Mookie Betts.
They had virtually no injuries on offense.

They won 84 last year, even if they get better health from their SP, the possibility that they will cut loose either JD or Mookie and have said as much, and they are looking to keep payroll down, so no major investment in the bullpen, they'll be around a 90 win team. Now that can change quickly, and they can reverse course, but publicly they have said they are realigning their pockets

trading for stanton was waste, i never wanted him on yanks....
cashmen not getting verlander was a huge dent on his resume last few years. it was a money reason for not trading for him.
corbin again money
keuchel again money

don't know who to blame more ownership or cash but one thing is for sure if houston doesnt get verlander yankees make a world series in past 3 years, thats the difference.

Yankees better sign DJ and didi

Tough decisions to be made but I think they let Didi walk and the Starting infield is Gio, DJ,Gleyber and Luke. No doubt Andujar, Clint, Stanton, Gary, Hicks and Happ will all be mentioned in some kind of trades.

I think Wade will be our super utility man next season too. SPs in no particular order will be Sevy, Tanaka, Paxton, German and ???? With probably Montgomery being the Plug in. Just have a feeling Betances or Chap won’t be around next year either. And Gardy will end up signing with LA, Boston or Houston.

Last edited:
Starting Pitching –
The way I see it, the Yankees need 7-8 Starting Pitching Options throughout the Year (injuries), and needs to be broken down to 4 Front End guys to pitch in the playoffs.
-Tanaka is a postseason stud. He’s deserving of starting Game 1 or 2, and a Game 6 or 7.
-Paxton had 1 bad start, 1 ok start, and a really good start in the playoffs. The first inning is the constant struggle for him, in 29 1st Innings in the regular season, he gave up 29 ER .282/.348/.667 in inning 1. Innings 2-8, he had 121-2/3 IP with 36 ER. A 9.00ERA versus 2.62 in every other inning is the only tweak he has to make. He only needs to be near average in the 1st to be an All-Star caliber starter.
-Severino is really bad in the playoffs. I think he’s a 1 or 2 in the regular season. But in the playoffs, he’s a Game 4 Starter. When he’s on, he is an Ace, when he’s off, he’s really off. I’d still keep him in every playoff rotation because who knows, one year it may click, but he’s not a top 3 choice.

-JA Happ, he was alright. But at $17million, we have to find a way to offload him to re-sign other guys who are more important, and make a run at someone for the rotation. I’d attach a mid-level prospect, eat half the money, and trade him.

-Domingo German and Jordan Montgomery – Depending on what happens in Free Agency and the trade market, they either compete for the 5th starting spot, or are depth throughout the year.
-Jonathan Loaisiga isn’t far off from where German is. If he can develop a plus 3rd pitch to go with his fastball and the spin he gets on his curveball, he can be everything German is
-Deivi Garcia, needs another year. But to be 20 in AAA, he’s a different type of pitcher. He is way too good for A and AA. He seemed slightly overmatched in AAA, give him another year to develop.

What we need to do:
Sign Gerrit Cole 7 year $210mil, or 6 year $200mil. Whatever it is, we need to sign him to it.
I believe that we should look to start consolidating talent, and see what is there in the trade market because we may be able to assemble the best rotation of baseball (Pool of guys we could trade: Luke Voit, Tyler Wade, Miguel Andujar, Gio Urshela, Mike Tauchman, Clint Frazier, Estavan Florial, Domingo German, Jordan Montgomery, Jonathan Loaisiga, JA Happ, Luis Gil, Clarke Schmidt, Jonathan Holder)

What I want to happen:
Gerrit Cole
Masahiro Tanaka
Luis Severino
James Paxton
Robbie Ray (Traded Luke Voit, Estevan Florial, Clarke Schmidt, Jonathan Loaisiga & a Player to be Named)
Domingo German
Jordan Montgomery
Those are your 7 guys who would make starts throughout the year. In 2021, a combination of Ray, German, Montgomery probably get traded.

Bullpen:
Not having Dellin was a huge blow to the team. Having him able to pitch in some of these games, high leverage situations may have won us one of the 4 we lost. I don’t have high hopes that he will be back. Some team will offer him closer money, and we will cheap out. But we shouldn’t let him go. He deserves the offer that Britton got. 3 years $39million with a 4th year option. Dellin is worth it, you can argue he’s the best non-closer pitcher in any MLB bullpen.
If Aroldis opts out, you have to keep him (Dellin isn’t a closer due to his BB rate, and no thanks to Britton as a closer). Yes, he gave up the walk off. But he did show that he still has the gas left in the tank over the season. If he does opt out. I’d offer him $1mil extra a year + 1 more year on his contract. He has 3 years $51.6 left on his deal. I’d kick it up to 4 year / $70mil.
Green – The swiss army knife. Same role next year.
Kahnle was strong all year, he recovered to his 2017 form after a brutal 2018.
Ottavino was our best reliever for the regular season then was garbage in the post season. I hated how Boone managed him, but he also was a real **** show in the playoffs.
Britton was pretty good, have no complaints, and also have no praise.

My opening day roster for the pitching staff:
Cole
Tanaka
Severino
Paxton
Ray
German

Green
Ottavino
Kahnle
Britton
Dellin
Chapman

AAA: Cessa, Montgomery, Jonathan Holder

2019 Pitching Investment $109.685mil to $156.117 mil

Catcher:

Gary – He’s your starting Catcher. And should be until he can’t catch or injuries stop him. I’m tired of having arguments about Gary. He’s very good. The amount he produces offensively, even in a down year, is so much significantly better than the vast majority of catchers.
Romine – If I don’t have much hope that Dellin will be back, I have even less hope that Romine will be. It happens every few years for the Yankees, they have a good backup, some team offers him a starting role, and more often than not it makes no difference for their team.
It’s hard to gauge what Romine will get, but if he can be kept for like 3 year / $10-12mil, you do it. But I think he’ll get that elsewhere + a starting role.
What I would do: Use a couple mid-level prospects to replace Romine who will get himself a starting job somewhere.

Investment goes from $2.469mil to $7.2mil

First Base:

As you saw I already traded Luke Voit. I love Luke, I think he’s got an awesome personality. He can mash. But we do have way too many guy, I know we needed them all this year, but it wasn’t enough, and we could use some more talent elsewhere. Perhaps we did screw him in the ALCS though.
But it’s not like we leave a hole, we got DJ. He’s a hitting machine, he showed some flashes of good defense at 1B. You also need to extend DJ. He’s got 1 year / $12mil left on his deal. Need it to be 3 year / $36mil, ups to $40mil with incentives.
To keep us with depth, Mike Ford deserves to be on the opening day roster. Lefty bat, came up big in some situations.
Greg Bird – He’s still under team control, I don’t know what they do with him. Trade him would be my choice, but he’ll be literal pennies on the dollar. Get possibly a meddling 20 something reliever for him. If he stays healthy (hahahahaha) elsewhere, it may end up being a bad trade, but you gotta cut ties eventually.

Investment drops $14,328,200 to $13,000,000

Second Base-
For the love of god, please keep Gleyber at 2B. He’s 22, and he’s a star. Protect him by keeping him at the less taxing position. I don’t want to risk him at all moving to SS where there is a higher rate of injury.

Investment goes from $605,200 to about $650,000

Third Base –

I was really thinking that we should trade Andujar. But in good conscious I can’t, he’s a professional hitter. What this means though, is he is never to see the light of day at Third Base, he is our DH. He was a XBH monster in his rookie year, but he is so bad defensively that his worth was significantly diminished, and he impacted the entire infield defense as well. Our DP conversion rate improved drastically, and there were more runs saved at 3B this year.

Gio overperformed, absolutely. He’s not a .314 hitter, so we should all expect a dropoff. But his defense is amazing. If he hits .270 next year, and is around 20 homeruns, and 25 doubles, he’s as good as Andujar would be with 30HR and 40 2B due to the significant disparity in defense.

Investment goes from $1,172,000 to $1.292mil

Shortstop –
Keep Didi. He’s proven he can handle being SS with the Yankees. He had some bad clutch at-bats. But also had some good clutch at bats this playoffs. The only flaw in his game is he’s too aggressive at times. I don’t mind him swinging at a first pitch fastball down the middle. He gets so amped, he’s looking to jump on the first pitch that twice he ended up swinging at a 1st pitch breaking ball in huge run potential spots, and ended the inning. He’s going to give you 25 Homeruns, around 90 RBIs in a full season, no matter where you put him in the order.

I could see him accepting a 1 year qualifying offer at $17.9mil, and entering Free Agency with a healthy year under his belt.
But I would offer him 4 year / $56mil, it would make him the 6th highest paid SS. The 10th longest deal. Tied for 3rd average annual value. Give him incentives for GP, All Star appearances, 30+ HRs, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger to could be up to $2.5mil each year of incentives.

Investment for Didi goes from $11.75mil to $14mil.

Infield:
Sanchez - DJ – Gleyber – Gio – Didi (Andujar at DH)
Ford, Backup Catcher, Wade on the bench

Total Investment on the Infield goes from $30.897 mil to $36.760mil

Outfield –
Last year of Ellsbury deal, then a 5 mil buyout. I don’t know if you just eat it because they can recoup most of the money from insurance (Hal will likely do that), or just offer him a buyout of 2 year payments of $11mil, and 2 years after that of $2mil each. Just to get some cost down on payroll that needs to be invested on pitching.
Stanton is the LF next year. I’m tired of having arguments about Stanton as well. He’s a great player, who had a ****ty year of injuries.
Hicks in CF. If healthy, he’s one of the more all-around CFs.
Judge in RF. I’m not very pleased of how he played in Game 6. But he’s still a stud.
Leads me to the conundrum of the 4th OF. I think it has to be Tauchman because he can play CF. A lefty bat, and is a stud defensively. He hits everywhere he goes. Another guy who I think hurt us pretty badly not being able to have him.
I love Clint, and want him on the roster, but I don’t see it. I still wouldn’t pull the plug and trade him either.
I do not! I repeat DO NOT want to see Brett Gardner on this roster next year. It’s a waste of a spot for younger guys who can match what Brett Gardner is. It has been an amazing run, but it’s time to part ways. Cue Green Day, Time of Your Life.

Investment in 2018 $65.288
Investment in 2019 $66.126

DH-
Andujar DH 100 games. Stanton 62 games.
It’s been real Edwin
Investment went from around $7.5mil to a $5mil buyout for Edwin

Opening Day Roster:
1-Cole
2-Tanaka
3-Severino
4-Paxton
5-Robbie Ray
Long Reliever – German
Swiss Army Knife – Green
Middle Inning Guys – Kahnle, Ottavino
7th Inning – Britton
8th Inning – Dellin
9th Inning Chapman
C – Gary Sanchez, Whoever we trade for
1B- DJ LeMahieu, Mike Ford
2B – Gleyber, Tyler Wade
3B – Gio
LF – Stanton
CF – Hicks
RF – Judge
UTL OF – Tauchman
DH – Andujar

Rosters move up to 26 next year, 1 roster spot open for whoever makes an impression.
while i do agree that theres no way GIO will be a .314 hitter again him and DJ lameiuh were prolly our most clutch hitters in that lineup and the defense that kid plays at 3rd is impeccable that guy is a stud at 3rd above average arm ill take him at third batting /270 with that defense and clutchness

trading for stanton was waste, i never wanted him on yanks....
cashmen not getting verlander was a huge dent on his resume last few years. it was a money reason for not trading for him.
corbin again money
keuchel again money

don't know who to blame more ownership or cash but one thing is for sure if houston doesnt get verlander yankees make a world series in past 3 years, thats the difference.

Yankees better sign DJ and didi
forget keuchel can barely hit 89/90 and when his location is not right he gets rocked
corbin is another paxton when hes locked on hes really good
if german didnt beat up his wife that coulda been another great arm coming out of the pen
we need to get cole
we need to get more hits with runners on base

while i do agree that theres no way GIO will be a .314 hitter again him and DJ lameiuh were prolly our most clutch hitters in that lineup and the defense that kid plays at 3rd is impeccable that guy is a stud at 3rd above average arm ill take him at third batting /270 with that defense and clutchness

Gio is the reason I was on trading Andujar for a few months. Now that the playoffs went the way they did, we need Andujar’s approach. No damn way Andujar can play 3rd though. He had to be the DH.

and because of that. Voit is the guy to trade for SP

Red Sox already said they were cutting payroll, and they said they probably will end up losing one of JD Martinez or Mookie Betts.
They had virtually no injuries on offense.

They won 84 last year, even if they get better health from their SP, the possibility that they will cut loose either JD or Mookie and have said as much, and they are looking to keep payroll down, so no major investment in the bullpen, they'll be around a 90 win team. Now that can change quickly, and they can reverse course, but publicly they have said they are realigning their pockets

Red Sox had the same team as their championship team and lost more Bc sale And injuries to their SP. if history repeats its self the year after the World Series hangover year is when they compete again

Back
Top Bottom