OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tua really didnt have a insurance policy? Bama should have drilled that into the families head. But knowing a little about that family, they put it in Gods hands and passed on it.
I’m guessing the premium for that policy wasn’t cheap and his family wasn’t the most well off, right?

Shocked a booster or agent didn’t just cover it now that the ncaa is looking the other way, though.

I’m guessing the premium for that policy wasn’t cheap and his family wasn’t the most well off, right?

Shocked a booster or agent didn’t just cover it now that the ncaa is looking the other way, though.
Exactly. There should have been a way for them to get it done. Sad man

How exactly do those policies work?
This article breaks it down well

Tagovailoa, through the school, has a policy should he have an injury that permanently ends his football career. He does not, however, have a policy that’s common among top-10 hopefuls to protect against the loss of value should he drop in the draft

Galu Tagovailoa said the family had multiple conversations with the school about insurance options “and we have been very comfortable with how Alabama has worked with our family at every turn,” he told the website.

Byrne said loss of value claims have not consistently shown value for the athletes who file them.

“If you have loss of value, you still have the opportunity to have a successful professional career,” Byrne told The Action Network. “One of the reasons we go with permanent total disability is to protect the student-athletes should they not be able to play again, in which case they have no ability to make any future earnings through their sport professionally. In the event of injury, we utilize our resources through health care and rehab to help them increase their draft value.”

The cost of these policies can be high, though schools have been allowed to pay the premiums through the NCAA’s Student Athlete Assistance Fund.

Premiums range from $10,000 to $30,000 for every $1 million of coverage for loss of value, according to an NCAA study of the practice. Given the risk associated with football, those prices are on the high end of that scale for stars like Tagovailoa.

Then there’s the matter of qualifying for the benefits and it requires some math.

These policies set a threshold for collecting on the policy based on projected draft positioning. In most cases, that threshold is 60 percent of the projected rookie contract based on where they’re expected to be taken.

The NCAA’s example is a four-year, $10 million contact projection, thus a $6 million threshold. If the post-injury deal is for less than $6 million, the athlete would collect the difference. In that example, if the contract offered was for $5 million, the insurance would pay $1 million. And if the contract was for $7 million, no benefit would be paid.

Translate that to the 2019 NFL draft salary scale and it starts to come into focus. Should Tagovailoa’s projected pick be No. 1, the contract Kyler Murray received was four years, $35.2 million.

If that’s what an insurer determined Tagovailoa’s value to be, 60 percent threshold would be $21 million. That would be met if he fell below the No. 7 pick, using 2019’s numbers. The eighth pick, T.J. Hockenson, got a four-year, $19.8 million deal, according to sportac.com.

Remember when Willis McGahee got his Lloyd’s of London policy before the National Championship Game where he f’ed his leg up? Fortunately he was able to play in the NFL, but still ...

russell.gif

What could we wager on? @ecook0808 wanna get in on this action?

I’m a brokeboi, so avy bet?

If Urban Meyer is your HC next season, I will have John David Booty as my avy for a whole year.

If he’s not, Jim Harbaugh has to be yours for a whole year. Winner gets to pick the pic.

Deal?

I’m a brokeboi, so avy bet?

If Urban Meyer is your HC next season, I will have John David Booty as my avy for a whole year.

If he’s not, Jim Harbaugh has to be yours for a whole year. Winner gets to pick the pic.

Deal?

Deal. Though I think for the person with better odds you’re getting off light.

John David’s a handsome guy.

Missed it. What did they say?

Nothing this thread would appreciate or care about :lol:

Just unspecific speculations and allusions. All hosts agreed usc already fired Clay after the 2016 Alabama game and he’s been surviving since. Then Fowler said he’s “been talking to people who know the president’s thought process and that it’s not a guarantee what she’s going to do next.” That he “knows what he’s heard but that the people who work directly with her say character is important so it’s not a given how things will play out.” Then he agreed win or lose this is clays last season.

It was a weird segment to do for a coach on a win streak who can still win his division and who National reports have claimed will be safe with a win.

All these Big 10 games look like the players are moving in slow motion.

Back
Top Bottom