OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Skeptical of a guy that was essentially being fired from his previous post, especially when you consider the Recruiting Coordinator title and the guys they "forced out" aka "lost out on" on ESD...

But, help us land that Jimbo-style bellcow RB in LJ Johson (whose dad played at LSU and who was favoring LSU) and I'm all on board.

If it's a big deal, it's because Saban wasn't able to keep hold of the one OG crew member remaining on staff. Might be the symbol of the end of the Saban reign. Might not. We'll find out in the next year or two.

But for most of the tweets I've seen about the recruiting impact...Saban has turned over staff every year and still recruited at a high level, and recruiting hasn't exactly been the weak point at UGA. He might end up being an incredible ST Coach, but is a guy with 0 years of on-field coaching experience what UGA is lacking right now? They haven't exactly been hurting in the recruiting department.

Alot of former Bama players and media members who know the situation say it's a big deal.

Is this the beginning of the end and a sign that Saban is slipping? Or is this completely overblown and Coach Cochran's influence is completely overstated? like most things, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

As far as helping Georgia, I think it helps from a cultural standpoint and provides intangibles more so than Xs and Os

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Weird offseason for Orgeron and his staff.

But sounds like Robinson was being pushed out for Faulk. Someone said he interviewed at USC a few weeks ago for some position with them again.

A&M boards are super mixed on that hire.

Sounds like Kevin Faulk is next up for that RB job @ LSU

:pimp:

yup. Tommie was pushed out for him.

———

Adam Munsterteiger, Ryan Abraham & David Woods did a really good breakdown of the Colorado search and job on the pac 12 podcast.

cliff notes:
- Bieniemy was offered first and turned down the job. He’s an NFL guy and has a lot of hesitation about returning to College after his last stint at CU. Really doesn’t like the way you have to relate to and manage players at college level.

- Sark was offered the job and was in the process of finalizing a deal with them when Saban called him in for a heart to heart and asked him to stay and gave him a raise.

- Dorrell wasn’t a candidate until Thursday evening. When the AD called him to interview for the job he didn’t even realize Dorrell lives in Colorado and was home with his family; that became a plus for him getting the job. Someone with roots nearby who would want to stay at the school for a long time.

-Darren Chiaverini didn’t get the job because he was openly campaigning for it too much and too publicly. In meetings he started threatening staff that was there while he was interim that if they didn’t openly support him for the job they wouldn’t be around when he was named HC.

-there was a meeting to introduce Dorrell to the assistants and they asked all staff to be present. Chiaverini no showed.

- Mike Macintyre didn’t deserve any of the credit for the 2016 10 win season. That team was entirely self-policed and essentially coached by the upperclassmen, all the players and people who cover the tramwill tell you that and it’s why they fell apart the next season.

I don't think Cochran leaving is a sign that Saban is slipping, sounds like he just wanted to go in a new direction and take an on field job. He interviewed w/ Lane / Ole Miss for this same ST's position. Cochran definitely had a big influence on the program and implementing the directives from Saban, as your S&C coach usually has much more interaction with the players than the HC does. It's definitely a loss for Bama and a gain for UGA. How much of a gain or loss, that remains to be seen.

I can’t imagine it was about the money. Saban would have got that for him. If it was about him wanting to coach on the field I can also imagine that Saban would have made that happen. So what are we all missing here?

I don’t think it’s a guarantee that Saban would give one if his 10 coaching spots to someone who’s sole responsibility is special teams. That’s only a piece of practice so what would he be doing in the other non-st segments of practice or meetings? Seems like an inefficient use of your coaching resources

Plus as an on field coach Cochran actually has less ‘legal’ access to the kids than he does as a S&C coach

I can’t imagine it was about the money. Saban would have got that for him. If it was about him wanting to coach on the field I can also imagine that Saban would have made that happen. So what are we all missing here?
Saban ain't kicking Jeff Banks to the curb to give Cochran a ST position. He's already got one of the best in the game at the ST position. Probably harder to replace a S&C coach who has been there with you from the beginning, but if Cochran really wanted to get an on-field position it's not actually too hard to see why he left and Saban didn't go all out to make it work to keep him.

I don’t think it’s a guarantee that Saban would give one if his 10 coaching spots to someone who’s sole responsibility is special teams. That’s only a piece of practice so what would he be doing in the other non-st segments of practice or meetings? Seems like an inefficient use of your coaching resources

Plus as an on field coach Cochran actually has less ‘legal’ access to the kids than he does as a S&C coach
When kirby first came back home he was really close to bringing Cochran with him at that time. Saban wasnt happy with him leaving hence his reply to him leaving and saying he always knew Cochran wanted to be an on the field coach but he also knew he wasnt going to allow it for him but felt he did what's best for him and saban doing what he did to notify the team. I dont think there is any "bad blood" like it's trying to be painted but I do think saban is kicking himself like he was when kirby left and him knowing what kirby did for his program.

Bama already has a full time special teams coordinator. Cochran was presumably passed up for other position coach spots.

And Saban has wasted a major coaching position before to keep a recruiter/intangibles guy on staff. He made XBox Tosh his DC and he 1000% was not calling the defense or running it in practice.

“USC found itself a gem in Kedon Slovis, who produced the 35th-best passing grade (80.8 ) as a true freshman. One of the biggest things you want in a quarterback is sharp accuracy, and Slovis displayed that. In fact, he led every single FBS quarterback in percentage of accurate passes thrown when targeting 10 or more yards downfield (62%) according to PFF’s ball-charting process. Yes, that was a higher rate than even Joe Burrow — Slovis produced a rate 20 percentage points higher than the FBS average, too. The fact that he did that as a true freshman is quite remarkable. He has little to no mobility and needs to work on his pocket presence, but that can be coached. What you can’t coach are the routinely accurate passes he throws.”

And he’s not even the best QB on the roster 😏

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brewster at Florida talmbout 'building a wall around the state'. Good luck with that.
UF eats 3rd or 4th in Florida after OSU, Georgia and Bama.

Leon O’Neal tweeted a week ago he was the best safety in America and now he’s leaving A&M cuz he wasn’t gonna start next year. :lol: :smh:

Back
Top Bottom