OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it's going to be Lanning but Oregon seems to be playing coy. He's an excellent coordinator and recruiter, just seems like a weird regional and cultural fit but I think he has a shot to succeed and I can't blame anyone for taking a top 15 head coaching job. Sure beats taking the Duke job like Elko
It’s definitely Lanning unless he backs out. They’re negotiating the contract and I think he’s trying not to upset the Georgia apple cart before signing day.

ohio-stadium-columbus-oh-usa-15th-apr-2017-honorary-coach-phil-knight-J0RR8X.jpg

I’ve kept it off this board because it’s so ridiculous, but since we’re laughing at them, the Oregon board runners have been selling their readers on the idea they secretly hired Urban Meyer.

I mean, he hired them, so he should be the one doing the explaining. Guess he just learned how to read/vet a résumé. What a bum lol
Historically almost all of his hires have been insular and nepotistic. Even his best hire imo, Tom Herman, was because a friend had worked with Tom and pushed him to Urban. (Yeah I know that’s a good amount of the coaching profession outside of Saban.)

I just don't understand why Oregon doesn't seem to be a destination job. Can someone with more insight explain it to me? They have amazing facilities, all that Nike Money, and they obviously care about winning. I understand that they aren't a Blue Blood (Bama, tOSU, etc) but why does it seem like their hires see the job as a stepping stone to another job instead of the job? I thought Willie could've built something amazing there without the politics and nonsense that comes with an FSU job that wasn't a great job at the time (FSU is a great job but timing is everything with jobs like that and at the time the job was awful). I feel the same about Mario. Before Lincoln took the USC job, Oregon was a bad Utah loss away from being in the playoffs which would be something they should be able to replicate in the future. The chance to win at Oregon or at least win enough is there.

I’ve kept it off this board because it’s so ridiculous, but since we’re laughing at them, the Oregon board runners have been selling their readers on the idea they secretly hired Urban Meyer.

Historically almost all of his hires have been insular and nepotistic. Even his best hire imo, Tom Herman, was because a friend had worked with Tom and pushed him to Urban. (Yeah I know that’s a good amount of the coaching profession outside of Saban.)

I hear what you’re saying, but now is the wrong time to scrutinize their winning pedigree, or lack thereof, when you’re losing like they are. Ultimate he made the hire, so the egg is on his face. Couple that his early season indiscretions, he’s probably already lost some respect when he can’t even hold himself accoutable.

Certainly not true in all cases, but if you’re Urban and you’re questioning everyone but yourself, maybe it’s you. Of course, it’s a report, so doesn’t make it 100% accurate, but there are a lot better ways to get positive results without blame your “crew”. The Captain goes down with the ship, so maybe he should do some some reflecting and identify where he could improve himself. You’re in the NFL now, Papi.

I just don't understand why Oregon doesn't seem to be a destination job.
It’s hard to be a destination job when you can’t build your program off of recruiting your home state. Their success as a program has been predicated on recruiting California and Texas well, which is easier when USC is down and with the entrance of TAMU/Texas/Oklahoma into the SEC, I can’t see them having success in Texas on that level any more. Mario was recruiting well nationally but again if you’re doing that there, then you’re probably going to have options at a bigger program. They need someone whose dream is to coach there. If Lanning succeeds, then he’ll likely be gone too.

Muschamp is gonna be a name on A&M’s radar too given his history with Jimbo.

He’ll have a DC gig one way or another next year.

I just don't understand why Oregon doesn't seem to be a destination job. Can someone with more insight explain it to me? They have amazing facilities, all that Nike Money, and they obviously care about winning. I understand that they aren't a Blue Blood (Bama, tOSU, etc) but why does it seem like their hires see the job as a stepping stone to another job instead of the job? I thought Willie could've built something amazing there without the politics and nonsense that comes with an FSU job that wasn't a great job at the time (FSU is a great job but timing is everything with jobs like that and at the time the job was awful). I feel the same about Mario. Before Lincoln took the USC job, Oregon was a bad Utah loss away from being in the playoffs which would be something they should be able to replicate in the future. The chance to win at Oregon or at least win enough is there.

Because it’s not a great job. Your success there is entirely predicated on how involved Nike is and how inept USC is acting. If your ceiling as a program is dependent on how badly another school is managed then you’re not a destination you’re a stepping stone to that other school.

For all the talk about how great a job Oregon is, they’ve never won a national championship. Awesome facilities, USC (and Washington besides 2016-2019) have been a ****show for 12years so Oregon got to cherry pick a lot of the best west coast recruits, the conference was trash so they had a cakewalk schedule every year, and they’ve been cheating their *** off like the only SEC team in the pacific. And here we are in 2021 and with all of those advantages they still have zero national titles, and 5 conference titles in that time to show for it. Why should it be a destination job, again?

Last edited:
kelvin banks to Texas

----

Dillon Gabriel getting crystal balls to UCLA. So much for OU's backup plan with him.

Last edited:
The collective clapping back against yesterday’s Lanning report to him indeed being hired by them is a weird introduction, if it was happening it should’ve been embraced initially, not like “sources” wouldn’t have known pushback on Towers report was wrong, this is odd af :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom