OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember walking through the parking lot and thinking that Rod Stewart was doing it with a 300 on 22s. Now these bois out here getting Lambos to push on campus. What a time to be alive.

That former Bama boi still in the honeymoon phase I see. Just wait till they strike up the ‘Eyes of Texas’ and you part of another mid type season.

Is this the last year that Geoff is going to be able to use transitioning from the option as an excuse?

Not the same offense but it would be kind of funny to see chadwell get that job.

Former OU player

He had a pretty awesome recruitment story. Signed with Texas, then his position coach was let go the day after signing day. Texas supposedly wouldn’t let him out of NLI. So he looked at his transcripts and realized if he dropped his Spanish class, he wouldn’t be able to get into Texas but could still go to OU. Texas ended up letting him out of his NLI after he dropped that Spanish class.

Kept that program interesting? That offense is awful and held them back IMO

Held them back from what? They had 4 9+ win seasons under him and won a ACC title.

Theoretically, yes a place like GT shouldn’t have to run a option or similarly “gimmick” offense to win games, but the powers that be at GT have never seemed all that interested in competing at the highest level in CFB.

With that being said I’m admittedly biased because I actually like watching the option when it’s ran well.

Kept that program interesting? That offense is awful and held them back IMO
Paul Johnson and the option was good for 9 win seasons every now and then…GT is a far distant 2nd fiddle to UGA and really more of a basketball school but their in denial…Now they trying to run a “regular” offense and be happy with 6 wins max doing it

Held them back from what? They had 4 9+ win seasons under him and won a ACC title.

Theoretically, yes a place like GT shouldn’t have to run a option or similarly “gimmick” offense to win games, but the powers that be at GT have never seemed all that interested in competing at the highest level in CFB.

With that being said I’m admittedly biased because I actually like watching the option when it’s ran well.
Held them back from recruiting better probably

I know they were never going to be a big powerhouse but what recruits are really going to wanna go play for a program that runs that?

They’re in Georgia which is a hotbed of talent. Obviously they aren’t going to get the best recruits but I’d be willing to bet if they ran a normal offense theyd probably get better recruits

I know they were never going to be a big powerhouse but what recruits are really going to wanna go play for a program that runs that?

They’re in Georgia which is a hotbed of talent. Obviously they aren’t going to get the best recruits but I’d be willing to bet if they ran a normal offense theyd probably get better recruits
Their biggest issue is that GT is a good academic school with requirements that make it tougher for them to get kids in. Think you have to have taken Calc or some ****.

What you gotta understand about GA Tech recruiting is they like 4th in the pecking order for in state recruits once you factor in Clemson/FSU/Auburn and the academic standards…This is regardless of system, and the goal is to win games no matter how you do it or who’s on the team and PJ running option been by far the most successful for them in recent memory

Fans just got tired/bored of it but they’ll miss those days after a couple more 4 win seasons coming up :lol: …I was up there, ppl really cared more bout how it “looked” than the results which was crazy to me, they delusional thinking they getting top recruits all of a sudden cuz they in shotgun now

But at the same time, Georgia Tech has a national championship in the past 30 years and they sit in a recruiting hotbed. If they're 4th-5th in the pecking order for recruits, that's partly due to the failings of their coaches. GT, like Notre Dame and Stanford when they REALLY want to, has bent its academic restrictions for recruits. Speaking of look at what a coach like Harbaugh did for Stanford. GT just had the 38th ranked class in the country after a 3-9 season and with a HC we all expect to be fired. That team's record and its recruiting should be better than it is.

Regardless of whether they should or can bend their academic standards or not, is the commitment there from the admin and booster level?

Even when PJ had things rolling there were complaints about the lack of support from the admin. I’ve always gotten the sense from that program that they were fine with what they were, and they really had no intentions of seriously challenging their regional rivals. Reminds me a bit of the vibe around UVA.

I can speak to Georgia text issues with their football program pretty well because I know a lot of their alumni and a couple guys I went to high school with played football there:

1. Georgia Tech has a wealthy, but relatively small alumni base most of whom don't really care about football. Also have a small fan base. The only people you see wearing Georgia Tech gear are people with ties to the university (alumni, children of alumni).

2. Georgia Tech is in academic School first and foremost and they aren't willing to bend the rules and tarnish their academic reputation in order to win games. Similar to schools like Northwestern, Georgia Tech would like to win at a high but they're certainly not willing to go all in and sell their souls like Bama, OSU, ATM,etc.

3. Along the lines of academics, with Georgia Tech being a technical school they don't have the same wide variety of easy majors to hide underperforming student like other schools. The smartest kids from my high school went to Georgia Tech and failed. The academics really are no joke.

For example, every single Georgia Tech student, regardless of major, has to take calculus and computer science. Most big time college football players aren't trying to do all that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom