OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
it reads like an employment contract but doesn't give the athletes any the benefits of being employees. This bill is heavily waited towards giving schools and conferences power and does very little for players rights. It's almost as if a conference commissioner themselves wrote the bill. I think this is dead on arrival.

it reads like an employment contract but doesn't give the athletes any the benefits of being employees. This bill is heavily waited towards giving schools and conferences power and does very little for players rights. It's almost as if a conference commissioner themselves wrote the bill. I think this is dead on arrival.

It’s almost as if the slave owners want their slaves back.

:lol: exactly how I feel

1690337195472.jpeg

They should just modernize these and call it a day.

The dark kelly green was always a better look than the forest green they have now.

Nako and the other lawyers on here…I know it’s probably not your specialty area, but…

Even if the Saban, err, I mean douche bags Tubs-Manchin NIL bill goes through, no way it doesn’t get fought all the way back up to the Supreme Court right? And didn’t the Supreme Court already tell the NCAA to eff off in regards to NIL? No clue what this court could decide to do with anything though, but I’d think you could fight it as a state’s rights issue to decide.

These two are wanting to enforce via a bill the NCAA’s oversight and ability to enforce violations when the NCAA has constantly proven they’re completely incompetent to do that very thing they’re in place for - and have been completely behind the ball on reacting to? There’s some decent stuff in the bill like the ongoing insurance coverage for sports-related health issues, but also a lot of ******** like requiring 3 years at the school before transferring (like I mentioned earlier, the slave owners want their slaves back).

It’s only been talked about for decades now, but could this be the death of the NCAA as the governing body? What’s Oliver Luck up to? He always seemed like a guy who could start up a new governing body going forward.

Side note: Pretty impressive for guys on the “reduce government involvement/overreach” platform (I know Manchin is technically a Dem, but he’s really not) that they’re advocating to increase governance by trying to bring the FTC into NCAA oversight.

The Supreme Court will smack that bill down so fast it’ll make Tuberville’s head spin.

They’ve already warned and ruled half that **** doesn’t fly. :lol:

Tubbs is a bigot, White Nationalist and is probably the biggest idiot that we've ever seen in the Senate. Manchin is a joke and clown that is essentially Republican lite so no way this goes anywhere. This is DOA in the house because it doesn't go far enough and DOA in the Senate because folks won't want to approve anything Tubbs is part of when he is holding up military appointments.

Nako and the other lawyers on here…I know it’s probably not your specialty area, but…

Even if the Saban, err, I mean douche bags Tubs-Manchin NIL bill goes through, no way it doesn’t get fought all the way back up to the Supreme Court right? And didn’t the Supreme Court already tell the NCAA to eff off in regards to NIL? No clue what this court could decide to do with anything though, but I’d think you could fight it as a state’s rights issue to decide.

These two are wanting to enforce via a bill the NCAA’s oversight and ability to enforce violations when the NCAA has constantly proven they’re completely incompetent to do that very thing they’re in place for - and have been completely behind the ball on reacting to? There’s some decent stuff in the bill like the ongoing insurance coverage for sports-related health issues, but also a lot of bull**** like requiring 3 years at the school before transferring (like I mentioned earlier, the slave owners want their slaves back).

It’s only been talked about for decades now, but could this be the death of the NCAA as the governing body? What’s Oliver Luck up to? He always seemed like a guy who could start up a new governing body going forward.

Side note: Pretty impressive for guys on the “reduce government involvement/overreach” platform (I know Manchin is technically a Dem, but he’s really not) that they’re advocating to increase governance by trying to bring the FTC into NCAA oversight.

The Supremes are bought and paid for so they could go either way depending on the cash they get.

These two are wanting to enforce via a bill the NCAA’s oversight and ability to enforce violations when the NCAA has constantly proven they’re completely incompetent to do that very thing they’re in place for - and have been completely behind the ball on reacting to? There’s some decent stuff in the bill like the ongoing insurance coverage for sports-related health issues, but also a lot of bull**** like requiring 3 years at the school before transferring (like I mentioned earlier, the slave owners want their slaves back).

This bill won't pass.

Non-compete clauses in employment contracts are currently being challenged in courts as unconstitutional. Now they're suggesting formally legislating a non-compete clause for "students"? Yeah. Nah.

There's two other bills being discussed that could pass. The first would form a “College Athletics Corporation" which would have investigative and subpoena powers. Collectives would need to first certify every NIL deal they do with the corporation office. There would be a public database similar to the portal database. The corp would also be able to audit schools and individuals. This wouldn't by itself limit how big those deals are, but in theory, once you have to formally report these deals, it would scare off anyone who was just looking to launder money or skip on taxes. It could have the desired cooling effect on pay for play. It obviously wouldn't stop it but it would make it more of a chore, especially for people who may have reason not to want their books looked at.

It would also establish safety and health standards for players and they'd set up a medical trust fund that athletes could access during and after their playing careers. Money for the fund would come from annual contributions by the NCAA and by schools and conferences

The second (third really) bill would formally affiliate collectives with the schools and put them under the purview of Title IX offices to make sure the spending is equal in mens and womens sports. It would also prevent the schools from "using NIL money for anything, such as media rights agreements" without express license from the athletes.

I think a combination of those latter two bills have a better chance of passing.

Tying NIL into Title IX feels like a disaster and actually flies in the face of what it's supposed to be.
Yup. I don't agree with that part of it. Their reasoning is to stop people from mass laundering money by funneling it through the football program where no one else sees it and there's no record or accounting of it, but the bill is missing the point.

That's why I said some combination of the ideas could pass.

The workout thing is something he’s been doing since WMU and was used to run guys off.

From what I heard there’s basically no middle ground with him, you either love the guy or hate his guts.
Yeah and reporters have alluded to this stuff for years with him. I'm guessing when NWU happened, people were like, "Well, since we're already covering toxic athletics environments in the midwest..."

You know they're buzzing around Ohio State right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom