OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was listening to a podcast and they brought up Brock Bowers and proposed an interesting question: when is the last time, if ever, someone was the best player at their position in the country the moment they started playing college football. You can make a real argument that Brock was the best tight end in the nation from day one.

Adrian Peterson comes to mind, Herschel Walker as well. Derek Stingley was elite but I don't think he was the best corner in the nation as a true freshman. Jameis Winston comes to mind but he was a redshirt freshman

I was listening to a podcast and they brought up Brock Bowers and proposed an interesting question: when is the last time, if ever, someone was the best player at their position in the country the moment they started playing college football. You can make a real argument that Brock was the best tight end in the nation from day one.

Adrian Peterson comes to mind, Herschel Walker as well. Derek Stingley was elite but I don't think he was the best corner in the nation as a true freshman. Jameis Winston comes to mind but he was a redshirt freshman
>D at Brock and Adrian

Eh, not true. It happened because of analytics taking a higher level of prominence in FOs.

I think both things are true. The analytics revolution happened after the rule changes and it only reason The analytics favorite the pass again is because the rules were set in place a year's prior.

Things really changed after the 2004 AFC title game where the Patriots defense basically through the Colts receivers on the ground the entire game. The following year we got more stringent illegal contact rules.

"When the NFL rule-makers cracked down four years ago on clutching-and-grabbing tactics by defensive players to try to open up the passing game, the move widely was viewed as a response to the rugged way in which the New England Patriots had played defense"

The analytic stuff didn't really take hold until later in the 2000s. The analytics are certainly a big part of it but the rules changed well before the analytics did

1690227330833.png

The SEC hype train is setting Joe Milton up. He could go 9-3/8-4 and it’ll be seen as a disappointment.

When is the last time we had a guy with his rang of outcomes?

Getting benched mid season for Nico and him leading them to a double digit win season and cementing himself as a top 5 draft pick are both probably equally likely possibilities.

Tennessee fans think they will have a similar year to last year so a lot of people will be disappointed if they take a step back. Milton is one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the nation but he is inaccurate and makes bad decisions.

I think fans are underrating the value of hendon hooker. In 2021 the Tennessee offense didn't take off until they benched Milton and put Hooker in.

The analytic stuff didn't really take hold until later in the 2000s. The analytics are certainly a big part of it but the rules changed well before the analytics did
1690238885516.png

It’s more about analytics and that being used in decision making. Passing has been more efficient than running since before the rules even changed. The analytics boomed just caused people to lean into it even more coupled with the rules changes.

Tennessee fans think they will have a similar year to last year so a lot of people will be disappointed if they take a step back. Milton is one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the nation but he is inaccurate and makes bad decisions.

I think fans are underrating the value of hendon hooker. In 2021 the Tennessee offense didn't take off until they benched Milton and put Hooker in.
If 9-3 is a disappointment then they’re just delusional :lol:

I’m just confused on how Milton is the best QB in the country (he’s not) but he couldn’t maintain his starting job last year over Hendon. He’s gotten that much better in less than a year? Hmmm. Drake Maye, Caleb Williams, Jordan Travis, and several other QBs are probably all laughing at that take

I’m just confused on how Milton is the best QB in the country (he’s not) but he couldn’t maintain his starting job last year over Hendon. He’s gotten that much better in less than a year? Hmmm. Drake Maye, Caleb Williams, Jordan Travis, and several other QBs are probably all laughing at that take

I don't think anyone has claimed that he is the best quarterback in the country but he may have the best arm talent in the country.

He's had the biggest arm in the nation the entire time he's been in college, his issue is accuracy, decision making and consistency

1690227330833.png

The SEC hype train is setting Joe Milton up. He could go 9-3/8-4 and it’ll be seen as a disappointment.

I don't think anyone has claimed that he is the best quarterback in the country but he may have the best arm talent in the country.

He's had the biggest arm in the nation the entire time he's been in college, his issue is accuracy, decision making and consistency

I know that’s just one writer. We can play words with best and most talented but he’s neither

No point in having a big arm if you aren’t accurate or can’t make the right decisions. We’ve seen it time and time again.

Accuracy is the most important component of having arm talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom