OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
College football programs don't put players in position to succeed in the NFL, they just put them in position to be drafted highly. That's all you can ask for. If college coaches developed quarterbacks, wouldn't we see a higher correlation between going to certain programs and having NFL success?

Looking at The starting quarterbacks in the NFL you'll see that it's a complete crap. Isn't a correlation between going to a certain school or conference, playing in a certain offensive scheme, going to a big time program or a smaller school. It's completely random and has more to do with the individual QB than anything else.

I believe that DJ would be better off going to a school like Ohio State because they would put him in position to succeed the college level and allow him to be drafted higher.
So why do people pump their schools/coaches as QB developers then?

Ryan Day, Urban, Dan Mullen, Sark, etc. These are all dudes who brag about their QB development and fans/schools do as well.

I agree that it has more to do with the individual QB for sure, but OSU has had QB’s that put up numbers and didn’t get drafted high. Don’t some programs/systems allow you to put up the best numbers possible AND still don’t allow you to get drafted high? See: Cardell Jones and JT Barrett. Joe Burrow didn’t even win the job at OSU and he’s the best pro-QB they’ve had since I’ve been alive already.

Have no idea why NFL performance is constantly brought up in here, it's a moot point. CFB is a superior product anyway.
Because dudes are talking about guys being developed FOR THE NFL.
Free Justin Fields.

The Bears offense, all of it, is atrocious. Literally Kmet is their best pass catcher??

Dude is being set up to fail there.
Completely agree. But if he isn’t able to read the field or progress through his reads, then that’s an entirely different argument. Hopefully he balls out or gets to a better situation.

If college coaches developed quarterbacks, wouldn't we see a higher correlation between going to certain programs and having NFL success?

Looking at The starting quarterbacks in the NFL you'll see that it's a complete crap. Isn't a correlation between going to a certain school or conference, playing in a certain offensive scheme, going to a big time program or a smaller school. It's completely random and has more to do with the individual QB than anything else.

this-mf-not-spittin.gif

I think one way to look at it is college football is still college/grad school. And what do colleges and grad schools put all in their brochures and US News and World rankings? "Percentage employed following graduation" and "Average alum starting salary."

Why are we shocked that people talk about and tout players being "Developed" (read: made more attractive to be drafted, because we know half of that **** is connections anyway and who your coach is) when that's the goal. Most players, like most every other kid, don't go to college as the end goal.

I think one way to look at it is college football is still college/grad school. And what do colleges and grad schools put all in their brochures and US News and World rankings? "Percentage employed following graduation" and "Average alum starting salary."

Why are we shocked that people talk about and tout players being "Developed" (read: made more attractive to be drafted, because we know half of that **** is connections anyway and who your coach is) when that's the goal. Most players, like most every other kid, don't go to college as the end goal.
Am I shocked? No. But pushing back on someone bragging about their school developing a guy when he 1) went lower that where he would’ve been projected coming out of HS based on his ranking (there was debate on who was better between Trevor/Fields) and 2) his glaring weakness is a KEY part of the position.

Was he still “developed” just because he had good stats and was a first rounder?

Am I shocked? No. But pushing back on someone bragging about their school developing a guy when he 1) went lower that where he would’ve been projected coming out of HS based on his ranking (there was debate on who was better between Trevor/Fields) and 2) his glaring weakness is a KEY part of the position.

Was he still “developed” just because he had good stats and was a first rounder?
If you’re asking if he’d have gone higher if he’d played for Lincoln?

phone-operator-lily-tomlin.gif

Hold up, where did I ever mention getting him developed for the NFL? All I said was develop him and get him into a better offense than what Dabo has him in :lol:

That was YOU that started ranting about Fields in the NFL. Then gonna say “getting drafted in the first round isn’t developed”. You think a kids gonna say “Aw man he’s gonna get me drafted in the first round but that’s it, I’ll go elsewhere”. You act as if QBs are supposed to come absolutely polished for the NFL after being in college and not learn anything after that.

Lincoln is probably the best at developing a QB (I don’t even wanna admit this to stroke nako xl nako xl ego) NOT FOR THE NFL but putting them into the best position to get drafted because after all, that’s their top goal isn’t it? And if you don’t think Day is one of the better coaches at doing that as well that’s just flat out ignorance my man I’m sorry. It’s a college coaches job to get the player to the NFL, it’s the NFL/Players job to further develop to continue their growth.

Hold up, where did I ever mention getting him developed for the NFL? All I said was develop him and get him into a better offense than what Dabo has him in :lol:
What do you/coaches pitch development for if not for the NFL? That’s implicit in the development pitch, my guy. But let me know if your coaching staff is developing guys for something other than the NFL.

You act as if QBs are supposed to come absolutely polished for the NFL after being in college and not learn anything after that.
Again, you're talking in circles and saying things that I never said. The point that I'm harping on is Fields struggling to read defenses and go through his progressions. You keep bringing up different things that I've never argued.
And if you don’t think Day is one of the better coaches at doing that as well that’s just flat out ignorance my man I’m sorry.
Day is one of the best coaches at putting his guys in positions to succeed. Is that system the best system to prepare guys for the league? Not sure, but may be guys own personal limitations as well. Either way, you're again arguing a point that I didn't argue. Day's sample size for getting guys drafted is Fields and Haskins, from his time at OSU. Both guys put up numbers and were heralded recruits. To your point on getting drafted - I already noted that Fields went lower than would've been projected based on his HS ranking.

I've been pretty explicit in each of my points. Let me know if anything is unclear.

What do you/coaches pitch development for if not for the NFL? That’s implicit in the development pitch, my guy. But let me know if your coaching staff is developing guys for something other than the NFL.
I mean can OSU really say “we will develop you into a great NFL quarterback” with all the busts they have? Or are they pitching that they’ll put you into position to get drafted? I guess they’re pitching something right if recruits keep coming. Or maybe recruits just simply don’t watch the NFL I guess
Again, you're talking in circles and saying things that I never said. The point that I'm harping on is Fields struggling to read defenses and go through his progressions. You keep bringing up different things that I've never argued.

Day is one of the best coaches at putting his guys in positions to succeed. Is that system the best system to prepare guys for the league? Not sure, but may be guys own personal limitations as well. Either way, you're again arguing a point that I didn't argue. Day's sample size for getting guys drafted is Fields and Haskins, from his time at OSU. Both guys put up numbers and were heralded recruits. To your point on getting drafted - I already noted that Fields went lower than would've been projected based on his HS ranking.

I've been pretty explicit in each of my points. Let me know if anything is unclear.
This is all I was saying about DJ coming to OSU. Let me ask you this, if he stayed at Clemson and kept on his current trajectory do you think he’d get drafted the same as if he went to play for Day for a year?

TJ Shanahan to A&M was always supposed to happen once he transferred to Westlake, right?

like this kid

I mean can OSU really say “we will develop you into a great NFL quarterback” with all the busts they have? Or are they pitching that they’ll put you into position to get drafted?
You don’t think NFL preparedness is a part of the pitch? It’s like you’re being intentionally obtuse at this point.
This is all I was saying about DJ coming to OSU. Let me ask you this, if he stayed at Clemson and kept on his current trajectory do you think he’d get drafted the same as if he went to play for Day for a year?
What are talking about 7th versus 5th at this point? I don’t think you’re exactly dunking on me here.
I guess they’re pitching something right if recruits keep coming. Or maybe recruits just simply don’t watch the NFL I guess

Because some how my point now was that OSU’s recruiting pitch was struggling or that they were struggling to land guys.
:lol:

Bowing out the this has went on wayyy too long with you just repeating things I never sad or argued.

2 things CAN be true :lol:

Justin Fields can’t read defenses AND the Bears have the worst collection of talent around him

I remember posting a lot of stats pointing to Fields having a glaring issue pre-draft, however I also said that in the right scheme and situation they can be hidden and worked on

Fields problems are really just more noticeable when you’re not throwing to 4 first round receivers :lol:

The last two Texas offensive players drafted in the first round were Vince Young and Cedric Benson. This is an absolutely incredible stat when you consider the number of blue chip players that have gone to Texas in the last 17 years.

The coliseum was no better this weekend.

They stopped using plastic so every drink was in a aluminum can.

Water was 6.75 for a 20 Oz aluminum can.

At least we got shade though.

I can't believe how poorly designed SDSU's stadium is. I would drive by while they were building it and I knew something wasn't right.

The last two Texas offensive players drafted in the first round were Vince Young and Cedric Benson. This is an absolutely incredible stat when you consider the number of blue chip players that have gone to Texas in the last 17 years.

I’d assume Bijan will be a first rounder when he goes but that’s a crazy stat. 17 years for them? Yikes

All that development paying off for Dabo

CLEMSON – The Clemson Board of Trustees Compensation Committee approved a new contract for head football coach Dabo Swinney that will make him the second-highest paid coach in the country behind only Alabama’s Nick Saban.
Swinney had seven years and $66 million left on the 10-year, $93-million deal signed in 2019. The new contract will be $115 million for 10 years, an annual average salary of $11.5 million per year. The contract will start at $10.5 million this year and rise to $12.5 million the final year of the contract, which will be the 2031 season.

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-fo...-$115-million-contract-for-dabo-swinney-40696

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom