OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: remember when Tony Elliot was a highly sought after coaching prospect?

Between him, Jeff Scott, and Venables... I hate to say it, but maybe Dabo doesn't get enough credit.
Nah, that’s not fair at all. Those dudes were good coordinators. Jeff Scott has USF looking much better too and UVA doesn’t have much. Bronco had them overachieving as it was. You also irrationally hate Oklahoma :lol:. Venables was arguably the best DC in CFB

Nah, that’s not fair at all. Those dudes were good coordinators. Jeff Scott has USF looking much better too and UVA doesn’t have much. Bronco had them overachieving as it was. You also irrationally hate Oklahoma :lol:. Venables was arguably the best DC in CFB
You and I have talked about the drop off position groups have once their coach becomes a HC - see Donte Williams, Jimmy Lake, etc. - because the coach can't dedicate as much time to training and coordinating, but Dabo has always been talked about like he was interchangeable with many other HCs and that Clemson thing with IPTAY would just keep humming. Now it's looking more like it was the coordinators who were interchangeable and Dabo who was holding it together.

I had my criticisms of Elliot and Scott before, but they're even more heightened now that they don't have 5 star talent everywhere. I think Venables is an elite coordinator. Again, we've talked about what almost happened with him and usc and how excited I was, but OU's talent isn't as bad as it's played this year. Now, maybe that's because he's not actually involved with much gameplanning as the OU insiders have tried to lie and excuse away but maybe that's even an indictment on him.

Dabo's got interns running that thing and it hasn't missed a beat. He deserves more credit than he's been getting.

Dabo's got interns running that thing and it hasn't missed a beat. He deserves more credit than he's been getting.
I mean, they had a bad year for their standards last year but you’re right. They also have more talent than every team in the conference. They aren’t smoking everyone like they used to but agree it’s impressive that they’re still winning.

Some guys top out as very good coordinatiors, but I still have some confidence that Venables will eventually turn it around there.

Even when they had Watson and Lawrence, there were criticisms that Clemson’s O was stale, and getting by on talent alone. I’m not surprised Elliot and Scott haven’t translated yet.

Venables had talent at Clemson and to lesser extent OU when he was DC there, but he was always doing innovative things to maximize that talent.

football.gif

Because Gameday never goes to the PAC I’m watching today like “why the hell is it nighttime??” I just realized it’s cuz it’s 630 and rainy in Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom