OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LSU wasn’t anything until they hired Saban.
Florida was a punching bag until Spurrier.
Clemson was an afterthought before Dabo.

Why can’t Texas A&M win?

It’s not external. They have EVERYTHING. Jimbo is flat out proof of concept they can recruit and attract talent as well as anyone in America.

what happens in Austin or Oklahoma doesn’t really impact A&M all that much. When Texas was great, A&M was largely an 8-4 program. When Texas has been bad, A&M has largely been an 8-4 program.

They’re bad at hiring coaches and they’ve made mistakes with the last two guys doubling down too quickly before anything had really even been accomplished.

I do not care what happened 30 years ago. Honestly, I don’t care what happened 15 years ago. Because it doesn’t matter.

A&M’s issues are all internal-facing problems. Poor leadership. Poor accountability. Poor talent identification and so desperate for success they allow themselves to be leveraged through the roof by coaches who haven’t earned anything.

I have no faith they’re going to make a great hire.
Will the new coach keep the yell leaders in check?

Crazy yall think fans and donors can’t have expectations of 10 win seasons :lol:

Are they supposed to hire a coach and say “yeah we won’t be very good and that’s fine!”

Same way ya’ll think it’s unfathomable that Ole Miss and donors may be tired of Lane losing big games every single year. At some point fans and donors are going to want to get over the hump and pull an upset

Franklin as PSU too. “Well they should be grateful and accept losing to OSU/UM every year”. I mean sure, but teams like Purdue, Iowa, etc. have pulled upsets against them so why can’t PSU?

Last edited:
Crazy yall think fans and donors can’t have expectations of 10 win seasons :lol:

Are they supposed to hire a coach and say “yeah we won’t be very good and that’s fine!”
It’s so stupid it’s not even worth addressing.

It’s the largest public school alumni base in America with a fanbase that donates more than any other in America and builds facilities and infrastructure at a higher level than anyone in America.

Just supposed to sit around and say “aw shucks 8-4 is cool!” :lol:

Shut up.

It’s the largest public school alumni base in America with a fanbase that donates more than any other in America and builds facilities and infrastructure at a higher level than anyone in America.

Shut up.

“They were nothing in the 80s they should be grateful!”

Shut up.

What does success look like to you as an A&M fan? 10-2 or better every year?

What does success look like to you as an A&M fan? 10-2 or better every year?
Success doesn't look like what they're running out there every Saturday right now, and that's all that matters.

You keep burning through coaches until you find one. It's obvious Sumlin wasn't it. It's obvious Jimbo wasn't it. On to the next guy.

When your resources are Top 5 in America and your talent on your roster is Top 5 in America, 8-4, 7-5, whatever damned sure ain't it.

There is usually language in contracts/buyouts where this isn’t the case if they get another head coaching job correct?

Apparently the standard is that if they get a new job, the new salary offsets the buyout amount. His contract with A&M did not include the offset language so he gets the full buyout amount.

There is usually language in contracts/buyouts where this isn’t the case if they get another head coaching job correct?
Normally, you’re right. Normally, people negotiating millions and millions worth of contracts aren’t disgustingly desperate morons ready to bend over and drop their pants.

Normally.

Is this some kind of new analytics to go for 2 down 9? Makes no sense to me.

Kills morale too...definitely makes no sense. Now these guys are knowing they need 2 scores somehow but could've been an 8 point game and still alive. Highly questionable.
Wasn’t around last night so just catching up now. Only part of the game I saw was that drive but I can chime in on going for 2 instead of 1 down 9:

You have to go for 2 eventually, whether on the first TD or the tying TD. If you can get the 2 on the first opportunity then your next score you have the option of either kicking the PAT to tie or going for 2 again to win. If you only take the PAT after the first TD then you’re limited in your options after the 2nd score. You’re basically confined to trying to tie at that point no matter what may be going on momentum wise.

You have the most control over the final outcome going for 2 after the first PAT.

Didn’t UGA go 30 years or something without a natty? When they hired Kirby were their expectations to be 8-4 every year?

Georgia went 40 years without winning the national title but there was more proof of concept there than Texas A&M. Even under Mark Richt Georgia had multiple top SEC titles top 10 finishes. If the 4 Play off existed in the Mark Richt era Georgia would have made it 2-3 times. Much different situation than Texas A&M who hasn't won a divisional title in almost three decades. Heck, even the year Georgia fired Mark Richt they won 10 games.

LSU wasn’t anything until they hired Saban.
Florida was a punching bag until Spurrier.
Clemson was an afterthought before Dabo.

Why can’t Texas A&M win?

It’s not external. They have EVERYTHING. Jimbo is flat out proof of concept they can recruit and attract talent as well as anyone in America.

what happens in Austin or Oklahoma doesn’t really impact A&M all that much. When Texas was great, A&M was largely an 8-4 program. When Texas has been bad, A&M has largely been an 8-4 program.

They’re bad at hiring coaches and they’ve made mistakes with the last two guys doubling down too quickly before anything had really even been accomplished.

I do not care what happened 30 years ago. Honestly, I don’t care what happened 15 years ago. Because it doesn’t matter.

A&M’s issues are all internal-facing problems. Poor leadership. Poor accountability. Poor talent identification and so desperate for success they allow themselves to be leveraged through the roof by coaches who haven’t earned anything.

I have no faith they’re going to make a great hire.

Same way ya’ll think it’s unfathomable that Ole Miss and donors may be tired of Lane losing big games every single year. At some point fans and donors are going to want to get over the hump and pull an upset

Franklin as PSU too. “Well they should be grateful and accept losing to OSU/UM every year”. I mean sure, but teams like Purdue, Iowa, etc. have pulled upsets against them so why can’t PSU?

Success doesn't look like what they're running out there every Saturday right now, and that's all that matters.

You keep burning through coaches until you find one. It's obvious Sumlin wasn't it. It's obvious Jimbo wasn't it. On to the next guy.

When your resources are Top 5 in America and your talent on your roster is Top 5 in America, 8-4, 7-5, whatever damned sure ain't it.

Texas A&M is top 5 in the nation as far as a resources and roster how it go but four part of these five teams ahead of them are in their conference.

I guess you guys might be right. I just view it as a math problem. You can make the argument that in the new SEC there will be 6-7 teams that view winning 10 games as a realistic annual expectation. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M all expect to win 10 games.

There are 7-8 teams in the SEC that can make the exact same argument "we have the money, access to talent and resources. There is nothing stopping us from being an elite team in the year out!"

Even Auburn expects to when can games every now and then. The math just doesn't work. The majority of those fans are going to disappoint it with the results they get.

Every SEC team except for Vanderbilt is flush with cash and has high expectations so they will be the perpetual cycle of firing coaches every 3-4 years until they find their Kirby Smart, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc.

Big donors have high expectations, if I were giving millions of dollars to a school I would expect results. Whether or not those expectations are realistic or not or a different story. There will be a line of coaches ready to give it a shot and get a big buyout when they get fired though 🤣

Last edited:
Every SEC team except for Vanderbilt is flush with cash and has high expectations so they will be the perpetual cycle of firing coaches every 3-4 years until they find their Kirby Smart, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc.
Every team is not flush with cash. And A&M money is a different level. They literally just agreed to pay almost $80Ms for a buyout.

Back
Top Bottom