OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For what job though? He’s not getting UF. Doubt LSU would give him a serious look if BK went to **** next year. Don’t even think there’s a job in the B1G that could open up that would touch him.
Just asking. Why wouldn’t he get the Florida job?

I’d be more concerned about Lane’s over reliance on the portal than the silly stuff.

If you’re at a place like UF or any of the big 3 really, you need a guy that is going to get after it on the recruiting trail.

I agree with the overall sentiment that spending the big bucks in the portal is probably a safer value proposition than spending big bucks in recruiting, but the core of your roster should still be guys you recruited and developed out of HS.
I agree with you and @dacomeup’s points about HS recruiting needing to be the meat of your efforts, but something I think we don’t have a grasp on yet is what retention of high school classes over the course of 4+ years will look like. EVERY school including that years national champions has been losing underclassmen signees. And that’s before this latest round of ncaa directives permitting multiple transfers etc.

I’d be more concerned about Lane’s over reliance on the portal than the silly stuff.

If you’re at a place like UF or any of the big 3 really, you need a guy that is going to get after it on the recruiting trail.

I agree with the overall sentiment that spending the big bucks in the portal is probably a safer value proposition than spending big bucks in recruiting, but the core of your roster should still be guys you recruited and developed out of HS.
Exactly, and taking a big job in the Southeast and not being willing to recruit HS kids intensely just isn’t a sustainable process. FSU had a great year this year but now all those kids are gone. Virtually impossible to expect to be able to load up again in the portal like that next year. Portal should be used to supplement the roster, not to build one from scratch.

Lane is doing about as good a recruiting job as you can do at Ole Miss. Since integration, the only time Ole Miss has recruited in the top 10 was during the Hugh Freeze era (and we saw how that ended up).

It's kind of funny to me that Lane is viewed as an untouchable when Hugh Freeze has already gotten another opportunity at it talk to your program.

You can also make the argument that in the 12 team playoff era, what is stopping Ole Miss from being one of the top four teams in the SEC and competing in the playoffs regularly?
You def using talk to text :lol:. Auburn is a desperate program even though they’ve won that title with Cam’s Heisman run. I don’t think they’re a great example IMO.
Just asking. Why wouldn’t he get the Florida job?
UF will def think they’re above the Kiffin antics. And Jedd Fisch makes too much sense for them IMO.
I agree with you and @dacomeup’s points about HS recruiting needing to be the meat of your efforts, but something I think we don’t have a grasp on yet is what retention of high school classes over the course of 4+ years will look like. EVERY school including that years national champions has been losing underclassmen signees. And that’s before this latest round of ncaa directives permitting multiple transfers etc.
Yea, but the elite schools who are winning titles aren’t losing their top guys. I don’t think that part is going to change significantly. We’re seeing mostly disgruntled guys or guys on bad teams or coaching changes leave at the top. It’s not like MH Jr or the Drake Maye’s of the world are actually bouncing from their schools yet. I know you’re partially arguing this because this is how Lincoln and USC are operating though :lol:. Building a culture is still going to be a big part of the sport regardless. Guys will be renegotiating NIL for sure, but you need to be able to keep the core of your recruiting classes together and recruit well out of HS for sustainable success IMO.

Last edited:
Lane’s loading up for a run at another job.

Plain as day that’s all this is.

Their schedule isn’t strong, so they’ll probably get in next year unless that thing just implodes.

I pray Stricklin is gone so we can get him down to Gainesville

casper90403 casper90403 and Cook’s guy is back in the portal. Dude has serious criminal baggage and is allegedly also just a dbag that two locker rooms have turned on now.

Hope he ends up in Miami for teh lulz 😂

1703533560565.jpeg

FSU with all of these NFL declarations and portal entries

Theoretically speaking, if they miraculously pulled this off does it taint the CFP and whoever wins the natty?

Nah not in my opinion. Should they beat UGA they could always go the UCF route and claim a natty. I still don’t think that means they’d beat said teams in the playoff (or that they’d lose to them, it will always be an unknown)

Nah not in my opinion. Should they beat UGA they could always go the UCF route and claim a natty. I still don’t think that means they’d beat said teams in the playoff (or that they’d lose to them, it will always be an unknown)

If Florida State were to somehow beat Georgia they would have a very legitimate claim to a national title, especially when you look at some of the national title claims in college football history.

Auburn claims in national title in 1993 in a year that they were banned from the postseason.

Alabama claims a national title in a season where they went 9-3 and it didn't win their conference.

A 14-0, undefeated ACC champ who was left out would be justified in claiming a national title.

It seems like FSU doesn't care about a national title claim though

Last edited:
You can't be the belle of the ball if you're not in the dance

If this was the pre-BCS era then maybe, but other than that they won't really have any claim. Regardless of outcome this years champ* will be one of the teams that are a part of the ESPN invitational

You can't be the belle of the ball if you're not in the dance

If this was the pre-BCS era then maybe, but other than that they won't really have any claim. Regardless of outcome this years champ* will be one of the teams that are a part of the ESPN invitational

USC still claim the championship in 2003 and they didn't make the BCS title game 🤷🏿

For what it’s worth, if they finish 14-0 and UW or Michigan finish 15-0 with wins over two playoff opponents, they won’t really have a sufficient claim over either of those teams.

Maybe if Bama or Texas win out because I believe they had a stronger computer rating and SOS than both of them?

USC still claim the championship in 2003 and they didn't make the BCS title game 🤷🏿
I was surprised you didn’t say this in your og post but since you’re troll baiting this AM let me clear it up for you:

USC doesn’t “claim” a national championship from that year. They were given a national championship by the AP who name a separate champion than the BCS does. In 2003 they weren’t buying the SEC’s “it just means more” gimmick.

Probably because that season USC blanked Auburn in their house 23-0 and their only loss was in 3OT to Aaron Rodgers also on the road. Meanwhile LSU, the BCS champ that year, lost at home 7-19 to Ron Zook.

In fact the coaches liked USC better, because they were ranked #1 in the coaches poll too, but the coaches poll had to name their champ whoever the bcs champ was.

Back
Top Bottom