Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Well, it was 9-0

Then Happ hit a solo homer

Then Bryant hit one

Then Rizzo doubled, and Avila hit a two run shot
Then Happ homered 2 pitches later
Then Baez on the next pitch.......

Then Schwarber hit the first pitch of the next inning out

And a couple of doubles after that tied it at 9-9. :wow:

Sadly, Grimm gave up a 2 run shot of his own, so we're back down 11-9, but still 3 innings left to steal this one. :nerd:

Lester to the DL, will miss only 1-2 starts, has some tightness in his side, not his arm. Had similar injury in 2011, didn't miss much time then either.

Jake gets the first two out in the game today, gives up a double, then has the next hitter in an 0-2 count, and gives up a base hit. :smh:

Just so much poor luck lately. We really cashed in all our favors last year. :lol: :pimp:

Up 2 games. Another solid outing from Quintana. Gotta keep going, if we start peaking right around the playoffs we can surprise some people.

Helluva win!!

3 run rally in the bottom of the 10th.
Avila with the game wining single. :nthat:

Last edited:
Cubs go 10 games above .500 for the first time this year. Who woulda thought it would take this long?

Rizzo playin third base in the 9th inning. :lol: :pimp:

W

70-60
2.5 up
Montgomery with 6 solid innings.
September is right around the corner, gotta lock in and maintain our good play.

We've extended our lead over StL, and maintained our lead over the Brewers, and Russell, Lester, Grimm and Contreras should all be back within a week or two. :pimp:

In the interest of being thorough – and offering up things that are huh-that’s-interesting – I share this report from Jon Heyman that Giants righty, and former Cub, Jeff Samardzija has cleared trade waivers, and is thus freely tradable. (If you forget the particulars of making trades in August, catch up here.)

Samardzija, 32, is owed the balance of the five-year, $90 million contract he signed with the Giants before the 2016 season. He makes just about an even $20 million in each of the next three seasons, which, given the market, is not unreasonable on a three-year deal after this season.

Of course, if that’s true, it’s fair to ask why Samardzija wasn’t claimed, especially given that he could help a team with the playoff race this season. My best guess there is that teams do not believe the Giants will actually trade him right now, and they definitely weren’t going to let him go for nothing – so a claim would provide little benefit. Samardzija also has some no-trade rights, and has indicated that he’s not looking for a trade right now.

It’s also possible that teams were scared off by his 4.43 ERA despite pitching in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in the game, but I’d be surprised there. This is a guy who has a 3.44 FIP – 12th best in baseball – and is largely crushed on the ERA front by two ugly starts in Colorado. His LOB rate and BABIP are both much worse than his career averages, and the peripherals otherwise look great. I’ve gotta believe he’s very attractive to a number of teams.

Assuming Samardzija isn’t dealt before September 1, I’ve gotta believe he’ll become a trade candidate this offseason, and, interestingly, he can block trades to all but eight teams: the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Nationals, A’s, Red Sox … and Cubs. Would the Cubs have interest in a reunion with a guy who pitched very well in Chicago, and who would be on a three-year, $60 million contract heading into his age 33 season?

From where I sit, I would love to see the Cubs at least explore that possibility, especially if they go into the offseason (as expected) with at least two openings in their rotation.

Between Samardzija and Justin Verlander (who’ll essentially be on a two-year, $58 million deal (but Tigers would eat some) heading into his age 35 season), I really like the idea of trading for a shorter term mid-rotation arm, rather than trying to sign a front-end guy like Yu Darvish or (with apologies) Jake Arrieta to a six or seven-year deal. If the Cubs want to play in the deep end of that incredible post-2018 free agent class, it would behoove them to retain as much flexibility in the near term as possible.

Ian Happ home run #20

6th Cub on the season

5th Cub 25 and under to hit 20+ homers in one season, MLB record.

(If only Addy stayed healthy this year)

#Future

Last night the Cubs scored 17, on 20 hits.

Rizzo homered, Schwarber hit 2, Happ added his.

The Pirates had 18 hits the entire 3 game series. :lol: :pimp:

Cubs offense has been fire since the break. And we're still down Russell and Contreras. :lol:

upload_2017-8-31_11-57-47.png

Verlander not traded, meaning we have legit shot in November-December to acquire him.

We did add OF Leonys Martin for PTBNL.

Back
Top Bottom