Official '24 NYK playoffs thread, RD1 vs PHI

Should the knicks trade for Damian Lillard?

• A. Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • B. No

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • C. IDK

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • D. Joel Embid instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does this make sense ???? I hope not paying IQ, and letting OG walk after this season frees up money for something because I woulda kept RJ for another year at least, couldn’t even go for pascal ???? Sheeesh. Where’s the brown paper bag for my head 🥺

Does this make sense ???? I hope not paying IQ, and letting OG walk after this season frees up money for something because I woulda kept RJ for another year at least, couldn’t even go for pascal ???? Sheeesh. Where’s the brown paper bag for my head 🥺

Pascal is a FA this summer but like he doesn’t even move the needle much either

It looks like the final trade is RJ, Quickley and Detriot's 2nd round pick for OG, Precious and Malachi Flynn.

Quickley is having his best season of his career and this squad barely above .500 and can't beat the top teams of the league. It was time to take a different approach and getting a guy that can shoot and defend is a good START. Emphasis on start bc this move doesn't suddenly make us contenders but gives us more wing defense that we badly needed

1. The obvious knock against the deal from New York's perspective comes from the fact that Immanuel Quickley was involved.
    There's at least an argument that he's the best individual player headed either direction, and he's two years younger than OG Anunoby.
    Three or four years from now, Quickley could be competing for an All-Star appearance, while Anunoby's still sitting at zero.
    Playing time-adjusted production doesn't always translate perfectly to a bigger role, but Quickley has averaged 20.1 points, 4.3 assists and 2.8 threes per 75 possessions since the start of last season. He's also top 70 in the league in box plus/minus over that span.
    But he was a 6'3" guard approaching restricted free agency on a team that already has 6'2" Jalen Brunson. Playing them together is tough from a practical standpoint. Undersized backcourts can struggle in today's NBA packed with wing-sized playmakers.
    Having both would've been tough from a resources perspective too. Having two of your highest-paid players (which is probably what Quickley would've been next season) under 6'4" could've been a problem.
    So, even if Anunoby's raw production might not measure up to Quickley's, he's almost certainly a better fit than either him or RJ Barrett.
    Last season, Anunoby averaged 16.8 points and a league-leading 1.9 steals per game. His 17.2 career usage percentage is way lower than Barrett's 25.5, and suggests he'll take fewer possessions away from Brunson and Julius Randle.
    He's also a more reliable catch-and-shoot option, with a 37.5 career three-point percentage (compared to Barrett's below-average 34.2).
    This move simplifies the Knicks rotation a bit (Josh Hart and Donte DiVincenzo are still around for the guard/wing rotation), gives them one of the game's best perimeter defenders (when engaged) in Anunoby and gives them a couple potential rotation players in Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn.
    In the short term, it's almost certainly a win, especially when you consider all the reports over the last couple years that suggested Toronto wanted multiple first-round picks for Anunoby.

1. Again, there's a very real chance Quickley emerges from this deal as its best player.
    His heat-check scoring ability has made him a Sixth Man of the Year candidate in each of the last two seasons, and there could be some untapped playmaking there too.
    Spending all of his career with Julius Randle (and much of it with Jalen Brunson) gave Quickley the opportunity to prove his usefulness off the ball too.
    He can effortlessly slide back and forth between "on-the-ball creator" and "closeout attacker," which makes him a nice theoretical fit alongside point forward Scottie Barnes.
    Yes, it may be expensive to keep Quickley after restricted free agency, but team control could be exactly what Toronto is after here. If the front office views him as the point guard of the future (a reasonable view, for sure), matching whatever offer sheet he signs will give the Raptors a solid foundation with he and Barnes.
    The potential downsides of the trade (and the reason it's not in the A range) are clear.
    Anunoby's never made an All-Star game and has a career average of 11.8 points, but losing him almost certainly softens the team's defense.
    RJ Barrett's contract has problem potential too. He's had a profoundly negative impact on New York's point differential over the course of his career. And his inefficiency as a scorer could make him a tricky fit alongside Barnes. That and the fact that he makes $29.6 million in 2026-27 have to be considered.
    At 23, though, there's still plenty of time for Barrett to develop.
    Finally, after posturing for years that Anunoby might be worth multiple first-rounders, getting zero is far from ideal (even if Anunoby's real value was probably never that high).

it’s not just about RJ, but IQ too. Honestly, Raptors look better on paper than we do.

IQ - Schroder
RJ - Temple
Barnes - ****
Siakam - Boucher
Poetl

All 24 or younger minus Siakam

it’s not just about RJ, but IQ too. Honestly, Raptors look better on paper than we do.

IQ - Schroder
RJ - Temple
Barnes - ****
Siakam - Boucher
Poetl

You have to take RJ out of your mind, he was the worst starter in the league and was the biggest negative for us on a 100 mil contract that we just got rid of. We were stuck in Neutral so why not see what a swap of OG for IQ would do?

Now Grimes and Hart will get more opportunities to see if they can produce like they did at the end of last season and if they could come even close to that this trade is no doubt a W for us and not even a question.

I could care less if it was RJ.

Why Quick tho?!?

You got rid of RJ’s HUGE contract you could have afforded Quick now!!!!!

WTF man

We needed to get rid of grimes, smh, I’m still mad and forever will be mad that Knicks didn’t want to part ways with grimes for Donovan. And some ya was cool with it too 😭😭

I could care less if it was RJ.

Why Quick tho?!?

You got rid of RJ’s HUGE contract you could have afforded Quick now!!!!!

WTF man
I liked Quick a lot but I don’t think we’d been able to dump RJ without including him which means we would’ve lost him in FA because there is no way we’d have 4 100 mil contracts and not be clear title contenders.

Ultimately, I wish nothing but the best for RJ and Quickley. I hope they thrive and eventually develop into the players we envisioned (wanted) them to be.

IQ - Schroder
RJ - Temple
Barnes - ****
Siakam - Boucher
Poetl

Literally just as mediocre of a roster as the Knicks 😂

Back
Top Bottom