Official '24 NYK off-season thread; Give them a standing ovation

Should the knicks trade for Damian Lillard?

• A. Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • B. No

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • C. IDK

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • D. Joel Embid instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t even bother with most of the Knicks fans in here becuz of the emotions they either refuse to acknowledge or won’t let you forget.

The first problem to resolve is removing Julius Randle from the team. He’s still questionable in between the ears and still in Obi’s way.

That probably doesn’t happen til closer to deadline if at all this szn.

Both can be true.

A good coach will have better rotations and in game adjustments.

In the end, the team still has a ceiling of a first round exit bc our young core, which is a good chunk of our rotation, is just a bunch of inconsistent role players.

Im not saying that we’re contenders, but you can’t tell me that our youth wouldn’t be better if we had a coaching staff that could develop players for the last 2 years. Now does that make us better than a first round exit? Idk, but at least we’d continue to progress. Thibs is stagnating everyone’s development.

Im not saying that we’re contenders, but you can’t tell me that our youth wouldn’t be better if we had a coaching staff that could develop players for the last 2 years. Now does that make us better than a first round exit? Idk, but at least we’d continue to progress. Thibs is stagnating everyone’s development.

I'm not sure how true that is for our players. There's only so much "developing" can do. Sometimes you just dont have it, and if the rest of the team has similar weaknesses yours will be magnified too.

Would IQ start magically hitting 3s with a new coach? Prob not.
Would RJ be more consistent under a new coach? Prob not.

Randle hasnt even been the problem this year like that. Without Brunson this team would prob be 3-13 too.

Thibs doesn’t know how to play these guys to their strengths. Im not a fan of IQ bc of how he’s been turned into a PG, when I think he was better off being our 6th man SG. I think him being responsible for setting up the offense is hindering his abilities to score. He used to have the floater on lock, but hardly even takes it anymore. I don’t think Thibs runs plays to get easy buckets. Idk wtf is going on with RJ. The work on his FTs is apparent, but his 3 fell off so badly that it doesn’t make sense.

There's only two ways this team can go.

1. Trade everything for an all star and run with Brunson, all-star, Randle for the next 3 years.

2. Replace Thibs and get rid of every vet except Brunson. Go full tank mode while giving IQ, Deuce, RJ, Grimes, Cam, Obi 30+ min a night.

Thibs did develop Jimmy B and got the TWolves on the right track. Without the right mix of players it don’t really matter who the coach is at the end of the day. Toooo many examples of that.

I'm not sure how true that is for our players. There's only so much "developing" can do. Sometimes you just dont have it, and if the rest of the team has similar weaknesses yours will be magnified too.

Would IQ start magically hitting 3s with a new coach? Prob not.
Would RJ be more consistent under a new coach? Prob not.

Randle hasnt even been the problem this year like that. Without Brunson this team would prob be 3-13 too.
Your assessment is incorrect ...

Will IQ start hitting 3s??? The answer is maybe ... we don't know. Players need development and under Thibs they aren't getting none.

With a developmental coach, maybe they have a more fluent offensive scheme or more defined role. Maybe the pick and rolls are setup different, maybe IQ would be at the 2 and have a ball handler at the 1 thus creating more open opportunities.

There are a lot more variables ...

Again, these dudes might be long term garbage but to say they are what they are with virtually inconsistent coaching, playing time, lack of opportunity is unfair to them.

Even RJ sorry *** has to play sidekick to Randle, maybe with another coach Randle is 2nd or 3rd options.

Thibs did develop Jimmy B and got the TWolves on the right track. Without the right mix of players it don’t really matter who the coach is at the end of the day. Toooo many examples of that.
Right .. is the Thibs Paradox .... he is good to turn things around but bad when he stays to long.

Im not going to sit here and say Thibs didn't do **** for the Knicks, but that was a couple of years ago and since we have been on a decline again. He served his purpose ....

Also lets not foget that Thibs has gone on record and said he can't win without a star or two ... he said it multiple times. Meaning he wants a dude thats already there . He doesn't care to put work and make his own star, even if there was one to make.

Like Butler, which he has also gone on record and said he didn't believe in Butler even after Butler was already on his way.

Also on another hand, you can’t develop every player, some players just don’t have IT. If developing players in the league was a big chunk to success vice players that just have IT, then every team would be paying out the *** to get the guys who developed Giannis, Jimmy B, Ja, Halliburton, SGA etc. you can have a 100 players with the best developmental team in the world and probably 5 of them MIGHT end up legit contributors on a Contender.

Superior athletes with the right mindset will always be dominant over excellent athletes with drive and the greatest developmental coaches. I know sometimes it’s hard for me to put my thoughts into words that make sense :lol:

Cam is out.

Instead of starting Grimes who should still be being getting eased in, Obi is capable of running the 3 today.

Lettuce see.

****, I think RJ is out too but Mitch is back.

The truth is ... after years of having scrubs and starting journeymen, we overvalued some of these young cats for just showing potential.

I do think we have some good rookies. But truth be told, we are way delusional with their superstar potential.

I think we jump the gun with Brunson, if that signing didn't happen, we would of have gotten Spida.

All this **** is hindsight, so it doesn't matter but still ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom