Official (3) Dallas Mavericks VS (6) Portland Trailblazers Playoff Thread: Mavs win in 6.

Dirk deserved half the whistles he got. Lets not forget Batum's open run to the basket was waved off due to a 'foul' on Chandler against LaMarcus. Or that Jet went to the line without being touched. Or that Crash got pushed to the ground by Dirk, got up, and then 'fouled' him. And that's just the refs mistakes I remember. They ruined our rhythm every possible time. And yes, that phantom tech on Marion was also inexcusable, but it's not like we capitalized off that. No matter what anyone says, a 19-2 FT disparity is complete bull *%!#, even 15-2.

The refs blew the Mavs d last night, plain and simple. Like I said, I'm not mad at the fact that we lost (I'm used to that *%!#), I'm mad that the refs felt they had to step in for y'all when crunch time got heated.

Whatever. Only the 1st game, 6 more to go. Hope the officiating gets better, though I'm not counting on it.

laugh.gif
Dirk shoots 0 free throws on 16 shots in 3 quarters and people are upset he finally started getting calls in the fourth... That crap swings both ways, it always does... When it evens out in Portland you dudes won't be pissing and moaning about bad officiating...

NBA officiating sucks. That's not new. Let's move on.

laugh.gif
Dirk shoots 0 free throws on 16 shots in 3 quarters and people are upset he finally started getting calls in the fourth... That crap swings both ways, it always does... When it evens out in Portland you dudes won't be pissing and moaning about bad officiating...

NBA officiating sucks. That's not new. Let's move on.

Don't blame Brandon Roy for Trail Blazers' loss

It was Sunday afternoon, and Trail Blazers were winless in their first-round NBA Playoff series with the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Brandon Roy had already practiced, and watched film, and a couple of hours later, I pulled my rental car through the parking lot of the team hotel.

There Roy was.

Standing out front on the sidewalk.

Holding his wife's hand.

I will not soon forget that simple image. Roy in a plain white T-shirt, a pair of jean shorts and sneakers. His wife Tiana beside him, in a dress, a wife's left hand clutched in her husband's right. And the couple just stood in the turnaround, squinting into the sunshine.

"If Roy died right now the Blazers would be better off. I'm starting to think that's what it might take to get him out of here." – Mike, Salem

Before practice, I asked Roy if he hears the criticisms from Blazers fans, who email me and flood online comment boards. Nevermind the scoreless first half by two starters in Game 1. Nevermind the free-throw disparity. Nevermind that Portland held Dallas without a field goal for 11 beautiful minutes with the three-time All-Star on the court in the second half.

The loss is Roy's fault, right?

"I heard a guy at the Rose Garden the other night, yelling that I needed to get off the floor," Roy said. "I heard it. It hurt. I noticed it, not going to lie. I'm struggling to fit in. But it bothers me more than anyone when I feel like I'm out of rhythm.

"I'm doing my best."

Roy's had multiple knee surgeries. Both knees. His struggles aren't physical now, though. He says, "I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to take a shot, and when I'm supposed to distribute. I want to be aggressive, but I don't want to be out of character.

"I've gone from being the first option to being a fourth option. If this was easy, I would have already figured it out."

"Brandon is just taking up space out there." – Chris, Portland

Ask the Mavericks about Roy and they'll tell you it was not coincidental that they trapped him when he had the ball. They ran double teams at him, too, every chance in Game 1. Said Jason Kidd: "We're not fools; that's still Brandon Roy."

You getting this, Portland fans?

It feels like it's time to get off Roy's back. Make no mistake, Roy is no longer the sort of player who can carry his team throughout a series with 20-plus point efforts, but did you see that beautiful pass on the baseline in Game 1 that resulted in a Nic Batum dunk that gave Portland its biggest lead? And did you notice who was on the floor when Portland took control in the second half?

And listen to what LaMarcus Aldridge, Roy's closest friend on the team, said Sunday.

"If he wasn't good, teams wouldn't double and trap him," Aldridge said. "They want the ball out of his hands. The criticism from fans? That's just the world we live in, I guess."

Is it really, though?

Cheer him, back then? Wish him dead, now?

"Nate's childish love for Roy lost this game." – – Andy, Beaverton

Because Roy carried the franchise for the better parts of three seasons. He became the face of the franchise. He won big games with big shots. And if you look around the locker room in this series, you understand that there's been so much turnover in the last 24 months that Roy and Aldridge are the only ones who fully understand what's happened in Portand in the last five years.

I said just that to Roy before practice. I mentioned Travis Outlaw, and Martell Webster, two of his closest friends, who play elsewhere now, "Those guys are gone," he said, then Roy stopped. He looked me straight in the eyes. I understood, and finished for him, "Even that old Brandon Roy is gone, too, isn't he?"

Said Roy: "This is solely a mental thing for me now."

Roy wasn't the problem in Game 1. Blame him if you'd like. Wag your finger at him, cry for his head, and then, wait. Because Roy will have a big moment in this series.

The instant he gets comfortable. The moment he understands that he doesn't need to strictly be a distributor. The occasion in which Roy's confidence and an opportunity intersect. When he's comfortable, frankly.

That's when you'll celebrate him again.

Maybe you'll understand what Roy's determined to prove: His story is not over.

"(Brandon Roy) did not write back my second graders. I know he is going through a tough times, but hey, that is no excuse." ––
Phyllis, Portland

It's true that the Blazers offense is routinely out of sync. With or without Roy on the court, they play in spectacular bursts, followed by maddening lulls. Watching Portland's offensive rhythm this season is like listening to Christopher Walken recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

You know where they're going. You love where they're going. But wow, it's an interesting wait, sometimes. But that goes beyond Roy. That's an issue for a team that failed to get anything from Gerald Wallace and Wesley Matthews in what would have gone down as dismal first half had Roy and Co. not ripped off that 20-0 run in the paint to start the second half.

Coach Nate McMillan trusts Roy.

Aldridge trusts Roy.

But you don't?

Roy is fighting the crud, too. He doesn't want you to know he's got congestion and a cold. No excuses, really. He's struggling to get comfortable in his new role. That's the bigger focus. He said he wishes he could have played more minutes leading to the playoffs: "I am still trying to get comfortable." He doesn't make that an excuse, either. But he's determined for you to believe in him again.

Not because it bothers him when you cry for his benching. He's already lost his starting position. But because Roy wants more than anyone to discover how he can help his team win again.

In fact, he desperately needs it.

"He doesn't have it anymore. The old B. Roy is history." – – John, SE Portland

The criticism bothers him, a little. He's troubled by what he can do to fix this. But you should know, I mentioned to Roy that I saw his wife in the 100-level at American Airlines Arena, watching Game 1, and he looked at me and said, "Fans aren't giving her a hard time, too, are they?"

That's all Roy really cared about in that moment.

I thought about that as I saw him holding her hand.
Link

frown.gif

It was Sunday afternoon, and Trail Blazers were winless in their first-round NBA Playoff series with the Dallas Mavericks. Guard Brandon Roy had already practiced, and watched film, and a couple of hours later, I pulled my rental car through the parking lot of the team hotel.

There Roy was.

Standing out front on the sidewalk.

Holding his wife's hand.

I will not soon forget that simple image. Roy in a plain white T-shirt, a pair of jean shorts and sneakers. His wife Tiana beside him, in a dress, a wife's left hand clutched in her husband's right. And the couple just stood in the turnaround, squinting into the sunshine.

"If Roy died right now the Blazers would be better off. I'm starting to think that's what it might take to get him out of here." – Mike, Salem

Before practice, I asked Roy if he hears the criticisms from Blazers fans, who email me and flood online comment boards. Nevermind the scoreless first half by two starters in Game 1. Nevermind the free-throw disparity. Nevermind that Portland held Dallas without a field goal for 11 beautiful minutes with the three-time All-Star on the court in the second half.

The loss is Roy's fault, right?

"I heard a guy at the Rose Garden the other night, yelling that I needed to get off the floor," Roy said. "I heard it. It hurt. I noticed it, not going to lie. I'm struggling to fit in. But it bothers me more than anyone when I feel like I'm out of rhythm.

"I'm doing my best."

Roy's had multiple knee surgeries. Both knees. His struggles aren't physical now, though. He says, "I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to take a shot, and when I'm supposed to distribute. I want to be aggressive, but I don't want to be out of character.

"I've gone from being the first option to being a fourth option. If this was easy, I would have already figured it out."

"Brandon is just taking up space out there." – Chris, Portland

Ask the Mavericks about Roy and they'll tell you it was not coincidental that they trapped him when he had the ball. They ran double teams at him, too, every chance in Game 1. Said Jason Kidd: "We're not fools; that's still Brandon Roy."

You getting this, Portland fans?

It feels like it's time to get off Roy's back. Make no mistake, Roy is no longer the sort of player who can carry his team throughout a series with 20-plus point efforts, but did you see that beautiful pass on the baseline in Game 1 that resulted in a Nic Batum dunk that gave Portland its biggest lead? And did you notice who was on the floor when Portland took control in the second half?

And listen to what LaMarcus Aldridge, Roy's closest friend on the team, said Sunday.

"If he wasn't good, teams wouldn't double and trap him," Aldridge said. "They want the ball out of his hands. The criticism from fans? That's just the world we live in, I guess."

Is it really, though?

Cheer him, back then? Wish him dead, now?

"Nate's childish love for Roy lost this game." – – Andy, Beaverton

Because Roy carried the franchise for the better parts of three seasons. He became the face of the franchise. He won big games with big shots. And if you look around the locker room in this series, you understand that there's been so much turnover in the last 24 months that Roy and Aldridge are the only ones who fully understand what's happened in Portand in the last five years.

I said just that to Roy before practice. I mentioned Travis Outlaw, and Martell Webster, two of his closest friends, who play elsewhere now, "Those guys are gone," he said, then Roy stopped. He looked me straight in the eyes. I understood, and finished for him, "Even that old Brandon Roy is gone, too, isn't he?"

Said Roy: "This is solely a mental thing for me now."

Roy wasn't the problem in Game 1. Blame him if you'd like. Wag your finger at him, cry for his head, and then, wait. Because Roy will have a big moment in this series.

The instant he gets comfortable. The moment he understands that he doesn't need to strictly be a distributor. The occasion in which Roy's confidence and an opportunity intersect. When he's comfortable, frankly.

That's when you'll celebrate him again.

Maybe you'll understand what Roy's determined to prove: His story is not over.

"(Brandon Roy) did not write back my second graders. I know he is going through a tough times, but hey, that is no excuse." ––
Phyllis, Portland

It's true that the Blazers offense is routinely out of sync. With or without Roy on the court, they play in spectacular bursts, followed by maddening lulls. Watching Portland's offensive rhythm this season is like listening to Christopher Walken recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

You know where they're going. You love where they're going. But wow, it's an interesting wait, sometimes. But that goes beyond Roy. That's an issue for a team that failed to get anything from Gerald Wallace and Wesley Matthews in what would have gone down as dismal first half had Roy and Co. not ripped off that 20-0 run in the paint to start the second half.

Coach Nate McMillan trusts Roy.

Aldridge trusts Roy.

But you don't?

Roy is fighting the crud, too. He doesn't want you to know he's got congestion and a cold. No excuses, really. He's struggling to get comfortable in his new role. That's the bigger focus. He said he wishes he could have played more minutes leading to the playoffs: "I am still trying to get comfortable." He doesn't make that an excuse, either. But he's determined for you to believe in him again.

Not because it bothers him when you cry for his benching. He's already lost his starting position. But because Roy wants more than anyone to discover how he can help his team win again.

In fact, he desperately needs it.

"He doesn't have it anymore. The old B. Roy is history." – – John, SE Portland

The criticism bothers him, a little. He's troubled by what he can do to fix this. But you should know, I mentioned to Roy that I saw his wife in the 100-level at American Airlines Arena, watching Game 1, and he looked at me and said, "Fans aren't giving her a hard time, too, are they?"

That's all Roy really cared about in that moment.

I thought about that as I saw him holding her hand.
Link

frown.gif

Originally Posted by ireminisce

are we getting roddy back next game? i feel like we could use his scoring, considering we had to rely on kidd's offense to keep us in the game.
It doesnt matter. Roddy isnt going to be seeing the court. Dude is lost out there. Need to trade him while he still has some value.

Originally Posted by ireminisce

are we getting roddy back next game? i feel like we could use his scoring, considering we had to rely on kidd's offense to keep us in the game.
It doesnt matter. Roddy isnt going to be seeing the court. Dude is lost out there. Need to trade him while he still has some value.

Originally Posted by calibeebee

i would like patty mills to play in a game these playoffs. we need more speed. It's really sad to see roy out there just standing at the top of the key. 26 minutes of calling for the ball and going 1-7 from the field. If he can't perform, then don't play him. I know his play in the past has earned him the right to be out there but damn, u gotta contribute something
you're better off playing roy than mills IMO. at some point, the mavs are going to play any combo of terry/barea/kidd on the floor at teh same time. i'd rather exploit them in the post than to throw someone out there JJ can defend.

the jail blazers teams of the past used to take advantage of kobe's post defense. i remember one game smitty, bonzi, pippen, detlef schrempf, and bonzi all took turns with kobe on the block.

i would like patty mills to play in a game these playoffs. we need more speed. It's really sad to see roy out there just standing at the top of the key. 26 minutes of calling for the ball and going 1-7 from the field. If he can't perform, then don't play him. I know his play in the past has earned him the right to be out there but damn, u gotta contribute something
you're better off playing roy than mills IMO. at some point, the mavs are going to play any combo of terry/barea/kidd on the floor at teh same time. i'd rather exploit them in the post than to throw someone out there JJ can defend.

the jail blazers teams of the past used to take advantage of kobe's post defense. i remember one game smitty, bonzi, pippen, detlef schrempf, and bonzi all took turns with kobe on the block.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Link

frown.gif

Probably one of the stupidest stories I have read.  I listen to this dudes radio show all the time and he likes to point out how Blazer fans are to nice and everything, but here he is contradicting himself getting all sentimental over Roy and saying basically it is alright to suck because he is injured and he is trying so it doesn't matter
30t6p3b.gif
.  The the %%@% outta here with hat bull, Roy sucks, he can't defend, he is a cancer on offense holding the ball.  He needs to learn to let the pg run the show and move without the ball, when he is running point the offense is so slow and stagnant and he tries to do to much on his broke knees.  There is a problem when Roy is playing more minutes than Wes.

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Mills would be a better option than Roy for the simple reason he brings in more energy.  He is quick and would be a harder matchup for Barea than Roy.  I do agree we need to attack them in the post but Roy absolutely sucks at this, he is a terrible passer and can't hit the 3 ball consistently on a kick out like Mills.

Some points I think need to be addressed before this game that I will take from last for the Blazers
- When Lamarcus is 5 of 6 in the 1st, don't take him out of the game, that is killing momentum
- If Roy is sucking it up, pull him from the game
- Don't "forget" about Wes when you put him on the bench, probably one of the worst excuses I have ever heard from a coach
- Close out on the Mavs shooters, way to many open looks and Kidd was killing us, I don't think he will do that again but we need to watch out for Terry
- Don't have Roy in the game in crunch time, Andre is the one that needs to be running the game at that point, not some washed up injury ridden dude who sucks at getting teammates involved

Originally Posted by PMatic

Link

frown.gif

Probably one of the stupidest stories I have read.  I listen to this dudes radio show all the time and he likes to point out how Blazer fans are to nice and everything, but here he is contradicting himself getting all sentimental over Roy and saying basically it is alright to suck because he is injured and he is trying so it doesn't matter
30t6p3b.gif
.  The the %%@% outta here with hat bull, Roy sucks, he can't defend, he is a cancer on offense holding the ball.  He needs to learn to let the pg run the show and move without the ball, when he is running point the offense is so slow and stagnant and he tries to do to much on his broke knees.  There is a problem when Roy is playing more minutes than Wes.

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Mills would be a better option than Roy for the simple reason he brings in more energy.  He is quick and would be a harder matchup for Barea than Roy.  I do agree we need to attack them in the post but Roy absolutely sucks at this, he is a terrible passer and can't hit the 3 ball consistently on a kick out like Mills.

Some points I think need to be addressed before this game that I will take from last for the Blazers
- When Lamarcus is 5 of 6 in the 1st, don't take him out of the game, that is killing momentum
- If Roy is sucking it up, pull him from the game
- Don't "forget" about Wes when you put him on the bench, probably one of the worst excuses I have ever heard from a coach
- Close out on the Mavs shooters, way to many open looks and Kidd was killing us, I don't think he will do that again but we need to watch out for Terry
- Don't have Roy in the game in crunch time, Andre is the one that needs to be running the game at that point, not some washed up injury ridden dude who sucks at getting teammates involved

Dan Crawford will be reffing tonight's game AKA the Kiss of Death for the Mavs. They have like a 2-15 playoff record in the games he's officiated. Congrats Portland, you got what you wanted 

Dan Crawford will be reffing tonight's game AKA the Kiss of Death for the Mavs. They have like a 2-15 playoff record in the games he's officiated. Congrats Portland, you got what you wanted 

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Roddy isnt going to be seeing the court. Dude is lost out there. Need to trade him while he still has some value.
That time has probably come and gone.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Roddy isnt going to be seeing the court. Dude is lost out there. Need to trade him while he still has some value.
That time has probably come and gone.

Mike Rice's "keys to the game" for the Blazers should be:

Limit Roy's playing time in the fourth unless he shows he can shoot and keep the defense honest.
If Roy can't do that, play Rudy more and encourage him to stay active on steals for the potential fast break points.
Ditto for GWall.
Stick on Dirk even if it means Dallas gets some open 3s.
Wes should be active on the shooting front, especially from 3.
Camby should be playing the majority of the fourth.
Keep feeding the ball to LMA in the paint like Game 1.

Nate McMillan is infamous for his lack of in-game adjustments, but I think he's a decent pre-game motivator and he's got a great set of assistant coaches. I am betting the Blazers set the pace early, give up the lead in the third but retake it in the closing minutes with tight D. But... I think Portland gives up a game at home, too. This series will be interesting.
nerd.gif

Mike Rice's "keys to the game" for the Blazers should be:

Limit Roy's playing time in the fourth unless he shows he can shoot and keep the defense honest.
If Roy can't do that, play Rudy more and encourage him to stay active on steals for the potential fast break points.
Ditto for GWall.
Stick on Dirk even if it means Dallas gets some open 3s.
Wes should be active on the shooting front, especially from 3.
Camby should be playing the majority of the fourth.
Keep feeding the ball to LMA in the paint like Game 1.

Nate McMillan is infamous for his lack of in-game adjustments, but I think he's a decent pre-game motivator and he's got a great set of assistant coaches. I am betting the Blazers set the pace early, give up the lead in the third but retake it in the closing minutes with tight D. But... I think Portland gives up a game at home, too. This series will be interesting.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

this just the nba trying to repair their image. the nba knows what they are doing. why you think it was announced he was reffing? the mavs will win tonight.

this just the nba trying to repair their image. the nba knows what they are doing. why you think it was announced he was reffing? the mavs will win tonight.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

How is this the NBA repairing their image? They announce the refs every morning, this isnt a special circumstance.

Not only do the Mavs have the refs working against them, they have lost their last 4 Game 2's by an average of 17 points. Throwing money on the Blazers tonight.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

How is this the NBA repairing their image? They announce the refs every morning, this isnt a special circumstance.

Not only do the Mavs have the refs working against them, they have lost their last 4 Game 2's by an average of 17 points. Throwing money on the Blazers tonight.

Whenever they announce that Dan Crawford is going to ref a Mavs game, it'll ALWAYS make headlines.

I won't be as gloom or doom as a lot of other people are.

It's mostly in their heads. It's not like there aren't two other refs out there.

Previously? Yeah, I'll believe speculation about him as a ref, but right now? Making headlines that he's a notoriously suspicious ref? Nah. A few head-scratching calls, maybe, but not enough to dictate the balance of a game.

Whenever they announce that Dan Crawford is going to ref a Mavs game, it'll ALWAYS make headlines.

I won't be as gloom or doom as a lot of other people are.

It's mostly in their heads. It's not like there aren't two other refs out there.

Previously? Yeah, I'll believe speculation about him as a ref, but right now? Making headlines that he's a notoriously suspicious ref? Nah. A few head-scratching calls, maybe, but not enough to dictate the balance of a game.

Back
Top Bottom