Official 49ers Offseason Thread: Time to re-evaluate the draft...

Originally Posted by bright nikes

OLINE people
laugh.gif

thats what i'm saying

The Niners most likely would package a trade during draft day and probably sign some O-line players here and there...But I do know that the Niners are donesigning players right now. We'll just have to wait and see...

so jake scott is gone. what do you all think Bruce is gonna do with his number?

Originally Posted by offbad

have a feeling he's going to be honored that rice said that, but he's gonna pick another number.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

have a feeling he's going to be honored that rice said that, but he's gonna pick another number.
grin.gif

Yea I hope he picks another number but well see... This season should be a little better... Im hyped for draft day...

I hope Bruce passes on the offer from Rice to wear 80.. It'll be a disgrace no matter who it is wearing a 80 in a Niners uni.

Trent Dilfer gone.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP)-The San Francisco 49ers terminated quarterback Trent Dilfer's contract Thursday, possibly signaling the end of the 14-year veteran's career.

Dilfer started six games for the 49ers last season, passing for 1,166 yards with seven touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a 55.1 passer rating before incurring a season-ending concussion.

"Trent Dilfer is a true professional in every meaning of the word," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "He is one of the most respected players in the league for good reason. Trent has provided great value to our team over the past two years in terms of his leadership, knowledge of the game and play on the field."

Dilfer missed the 49ers' final three games last season with the latest in a series of concussions, and the 49ers were unlikely to bring him back this year after third-stringer Shaun Hill performed well in two starts last December.

San Francisco also recently signed veteran quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan, a favorite of new offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who has said Alex Smith and Hill will compete for the starting job.

Dilfer, the sixth overall pick in 1994 by Tampa Bay, led the Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl victory after the 2000 season, but was dropped by the club shortly afterward.

The Fresno State product has played for the Buccaneers (1994-99), Baltimore (2000), Seattle (2001-04), Cleveland (2005) and San Francisco. He started 113 games in his career, making the Pro Bowl in 1997.

He didn't play at all in his first season with the 49ers in 2006, instead serving as a mentor to Smith. After last season, Dilfer said he hoped to continue playing, but he also prepared for life after football with a temporary job as a studio analyst for the NFL Network.

Dilfer would have received a $500,000 roster bonus if he still was with the 49ers on March 15.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...JDubYF?slug=ap-49ers-dilfer&prov=ap&type=lgns

about time, I say. I've been saying all along that if this is the guy thathas been "mentoring" alex smith, the 49ers have been going in the wrong direction.

Man I wish we could sign another starting QB. I will NEVER trust Alex Smith but I know it is basically his job to lose. Anyways, we got to improve that O-line.And I hope Bruce doesn't wear #80. I know Jerry said it was ok but no one should wear #80 for the Niners every again IMO.

San Fran signed Bryant Johnson to a 1-year contract.

Bryant Johnson, Isaac Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Arnaz Battle is a pretty decent core.

oh snap really? bryant johnson? I have a good feeling about this guy. he's always been overshadowed in AZ

ostensibly, Marques Douglas is gone. I don't know if you guys knew this.
[h3][/h3]
[h3]DE Douglas agrees with Bucs[/h3]
San Francisco 49ers free agent defensive end Marques Douglas has agreed to terms on a four-year deal with the Bucs.

Douglas, 31, will help fill the void left by Greg Spires and Kevin Carter, who were released in cost-cutting moves two weeks ago. Carter, who visited the Oakland Raiders earlier this week, still could re-sign with the Bucs.

Douglas was brought to the 49ers by Mike Nolan to help the team adjust to the 3-4 scheme. The 6-foot-2, 292-pound Douglas entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Baltimore Ravens.

Last season, Douglas finished fourth in the NFL in tackles for loss with 12. He recorded 72 tackles, three sacks and 16 quarterback pressures.

Douglas could play defensive tackle or defensive end in the Bucs' 4-3 scheme.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/03/de-douglas-sign.html

hmmm trend:

i don't know what the 49ers obsession with unwanted NFC West WRs is.

All i need to know is if B. Johnston can catch or not...........Jerry Rice wasnt the fastest person on the field, he just ran Tight routs and Caught the balllike he was supposed to

eek.gif
we stole the Eagles #1 WR!!!!
laugh.gif

but honestly, i like the new additions esp WR....Bruce will be a great mentor, and Johnson is good compared to our other WRs. I still think we draft a WR inthe 1st/2nd round though. I don't think I need to mention who.
nerd.gif

yeah, well... i liked the additions last year too, and look how that season turned out..
eyes.gif

hopefully all this "firepower" adds up to something and doesn't fizzle out.

yeah, well... i liked the additions last year too, and look how that season turned out..
eyes.gif

hopefully all this "firepower" adds up to something and doesn't fizzle out.

Yeah but the big difference is instead of Hostler, we have Martz. Our offense will not even be close to how crappy we were last year.

^Well any resemblance of even a Pop Warner football offense is better than what we had last year...so that isn't saying much
laugh.gif

Still so many questions though, regarding offense..
Are our receivers the vertical threats they need to be in Mad Martz's offense?
Will the WRs catch balls thrown at them?
How will the OL hold up?
Is Gore going to run inspired this year?
Is Vernon Davis a bust?

Gore running inspired this year? What do you mean...This man cried at the fact that he couldn't practice in camp last summer after break his hand. You knowhe runs inspired no matter what.

Frank Gore is the least of my concerns regarding our offense. No matter what, he's gonna bring his A-game everytime he steps onto the field. Now everythingelse is another story. We're very lucky to have such a hard-working and determined RB like Frank, who cares about winning more than anything. I rememberreading somewhere in his rookie year he cried after he saw some other 9er players laughing/celebrating after a loss, and also getting kinda mad at Nolan fordrafting Thomas Clayton cuz he thought he was gonna replace him or something...

and obviously there are a lot of concerns on offense but the biggest thing is consistent good play at QB...just don't turn the ball over and be productive.

The 49ers are now like the ********.

With Martz, you just need to worry about if you have a QB who can get the ball to WRs.

I wouldve liked to see D. Stallworth........Dude can catch short and run long, oh well......I dont think Kurt Warner was that great of a QB, he was just aproduct of a good system...........I think the reason Martz`s offense didnt work in Detroit is because they didnt have a star running back to carry the loadsuch as a Marshall Faulk or Stephen Jackson like stl did.

I think we will do pretty good, the rams havent made ANY signings in the offseason worth reading about, THe Cardinals will stay in the basement and theSeahawks only have a dominating Defense, their O has lacked since Shaun A went down with his injury

Back
Top Bottom