Votes: 237 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
If these would have released during the pandemic they probably would have sold out... but other than Nike... who really cares? I enjoy getting a shoe I want, even more so on sale... I dont care about the fact that they are still available. If anything thats a positive for most consumers (ie not resellers).

Im only made that I didnt get the Packer deal... but I am happy to save $50 and to have these in my collection.
I copped from the shock drop and then returned a second pair from DSI that I got for $145 shipped. I also swung back and picked up a 10.5 in the Satin Breds for $117 shipped.

They’re pumping out 1’s to make them easy to get so I’m not going to complain about getting colorways I like for cheap. That was unheard of a few years ago and had been with OG 1’s for most of 2002-2021.

I contacted Nike and got 25% back on my original purchase of the reimagined royals .. its worth a try if you got them on release date

Exactly. It’s like people can’t pick up on a strategy shift when they make 700k pairs of a AJ1. Volume over exclusivity. They moved a ton of them to their retail accounts that are already done and paid for as far as Nike is concerned.

And these will eventually sell out unlike a Burgundy 5 or Chambray 7 or Mauve 1 made in much lower numbers.
Sounds like Nike is turning the AJ 1 into the AF 1.

Will definitely miss the golden days when we got good cws that were relatively easy to attain (from 2016-2019) AND honest excitement for the model from fellow sneakerheads. I guess everything has to end at some point.

I’ve seen numbers as high as 600k stock for the Royal reimagineds. And even if that’s a high ball, it’s clear that this release was intended to be widely available and plentiful during the holiday season.

As a billion dollar company that spends millions and millions on market research, I’m more inclined to believe this is all going as intended rather than Nike misjudging demand for shoes.

Success looks different for a shoe intended to be exclusive compared to a widely available release.
But why would anyone pay $180 for these when they are being discounted everywhere? I don’t see how that is a success when they directed resources to there when they could have used those same resources to put out other shoes that would have actually sold better at retail.

For the record, I’m not mad at this at all-these shoes are not worth $180 nor are Mauves or any of the other trash cws they have released this year. I’m glad the market is crashing and shoes are sitting-Nike/JB need to step it up in terms of cws and I’m glad people aren’t paying full retail prices for garbage cws from them.

Oof this makes them sound horrible, like they were something people would buy at Journeys back in the day lol

lol I know but it’s true. Nike spent years making sure the cool kids were wearing Jordan 1s. Now they’re capitalizing on those marketing dollars over the years and giving 1s to the masses. And you can’t sell to the masses while limiting supply and not making them available. We might be getting even more Jordan 1 high releases than mids now :stoneface:

Yeah this just comes down to the average Jordan head not liking suede on most shoes, especially an OG colorway. Really don’t understand anyone calling it trash. My pair is really nice in hand. Better quality than a lot of Jordans.

I called them 🗑 bc that's legit how they looked to me. For reference mauves were sitting right next to them and I'd 100% take mauves over these "royals".

If these would have released during the pandemic they probably would have sold out... but other than Nike... who really cares? I enjoy getting a shoe I want, even more so on sale... I dont care about the fact that they are still available. If anything thats a positive for most consumers (ie not resellers).

Im only made that I didnt get the Packer deal... but I am happy to save $50 and to have these in my collection.
The fact that they're sitting is not why they're trash. They're trash bc they're trash. Again, this is just my opinion. As long as you like them, that's all that matters.

But why would anyone pay $180 for these when they are being discounted everywhere? I don’t see how that is a success when they directed resources to there when they could have used those same resources to put out other shoes that would have actually sold better at retail.

How is this any different than any other brand selling clothing though? Do people just not buy things at retail any more? Have you never bought something at retail price that later went on sale because it was available and you had the money? We’re in a day and age wear the $150-$200 shoe for casual wear is normal. Hokas, on sneakers, Veja just to name a few. Hell, Yeezy pushed beyond that and plenty of non sneakerheads were wearing Yeezys by the time brand was done. Plenty of people who don’t buy 30 pairs of shoes a year will buy a shoe at retail price when they need it, ESPECIALLY if they’re readily available at the moment they’re shopping.

lol I know but it’s true. Nike spent years making sure the cool kids were wearing Jordan 1s. Now they’re capitalizing on those marketing dollars over the years and giving 1s to the masses. And you can’t sell to the masses while limiting supply and not making them available. We might be getting even more Jordan 1 high releases than mids now :stoneface:
Yeah you’re right Nike is doing to the OG Jordan 1 high what Adidas did to the NMD R1 a few years ago right after all the Boost hype. Those NMDs have since flooded malls and Marshall’s when in 2015-2016, they were one of the most coveted GR models of ANY sneaker lol

As the AJ 1 is my fav sneaker model by far, I never thought I would ever type the first sentence on NT but here we are lol

At the end of the day, just buy what you like but I REALLY wish we simply got better AJ 1 cws, even if we didn’t get massive discounts as a result.

At the end of the day, just buy what you like but I REALLY wish we simply got better AJ 1 cws, even if we didn’t get massive discounts as a result.

At the end of the day, the brand knows what they’re doing. And I’m sure they’ve calculated that this is the most profitable path even if it means putting enthusiast releases on the back burner for a year or so. I can’t really be that mad though between this year and last year they’ve been sprinkling in some fan service they’ve neglected with Jordan 2s, air ships, Jordan 1 lows, and some retros that haven’t been seen since 2006-2008.

How is this any different than any other brand selling clothing though? Do people just not buy things at retail any more? We’re in a day and age wear the $150-$200 shoe for casual wear is normal. Hokas, on sneakers, Veja just to name a few. Hell, Yeezy pushed beyond that and plenty of non sneakerheads were wearing Yeezys by the time brand was done. Plenty of people who don’t buy 30 pairs of shoes a year will buy a shoe at retail price when they need it, ESPECIALLY if they’re readily available at the moment they’re shopping.
I think it depends on the individual releases tbh.

Lost and Founds? Excellent release with a lot of thought put into them-people easily will cough up retail and more, if needed.

Suede Royals? Trash and little/no thought or storytelling put into them. Who is going to pay retail for this?

The only difference between these two releases is that a lot more thought and care (in terms of design) were put into the former. I don’t think Nike cares though, it’s more effort to put out another Lost and Found than it is to flood the market with more and more garbage cws that don’t require much thought (i.e. Mauves) and will inevitably hit discount racks. On one hand, I am happy that people who couldn’t afford $180 OG Jordan 1 highs will be able to attain pairs but, on the other hand, I know this is coming at the expense of better cws being produced. I know JB has always put out trash by the OG AJ 1 high has seen a flood of trash cws this year (including the Royals).

At the end of the day, the brand knows what they’re doing. And I’m sure they’ve calculated that this is the most profitable path even if it means putting enthusiast releases on the back burner for a year or so. I can’t really be that mad though between this year and last year they’ve been sprinkling in some fan service they’ve neglected with Jordan 2s, air ships, Jordan 1 lows, and some retros that haven’t been seen since 2006-2008.
Yeah don’t get me wrong, the only reason I am frustrated is because I love the Air Jordan 1 so much as I know a lot of us here do.

What is frustrating to me is that the people at Nike putting out these releases don’t seem to have the same standards.

Sounds like Nike is turning the AJ 1 into the AF 1.

Will definitely miss the golden days when we got good cws that were relatively easy to attain (from 2016-2019) AND honest excitement for the model from fellow sneakerheads. I guess everything has to end at some point.
You’re glorifying a few years like it was vastly different. It was just fewer colorways. The drama in your takes cracks me up. You’re offended that a mass produced shoe is being produced in mass numbers cause you were brainwashed by cult marketing to hype them up in the first place. It’s amazing!

You’re glorifying a few years like it was vastly different. It was just fewer colorways. The drama in your takes cracks me up. You’re offended that a mass produced shoe is being produced in mass numbers cause you were brainwashed by cult marketing to hype them up in the first place. It’s amazing!
Agree to disagree. Not even trying to argue with you since you are entitled to your opinion, I was just stating mine.

Agree to disagree. Not even trying to argue with you since you are entitled to your opinion, I was just stating mine.
I just don’t think how many pairs of a mass produced shoe are out there has any bearing on the shoe. Wearing anything Nike speaks to non-exclusivity so what’s it matter? I wear shoes because I like how they look on me, not another man.

I just don’t think how many pairs of a mass produced shoe are out there has any bearing on the shoe. Wearing anything Nike speaks to non-exclusivity so what’s it matter? I wear shoes because I like how they look on me, not another man.
To be crystal clear, I want shoes to be easily accessible, not limited-I simply want better cws.

Look at 2018 ROTYs and Shadows-all were super accessible at retail as there was no resale right after launch. Excellent cws. Olives and Blue Moons from BHITG pack from 2018 was the same story as well. I would love if we got more GR releases like this that were OG cws or had thought put into them like the ROTYs or BHITG did. I don’t think that is an irrational expectation, given they were doing that for some time back then.

Back
Top Bottom