Votes: 237 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
Completely agree. My boys are 10 & soon to be 9... I got them everything I wore when they were toddlers and I've been letting them pick out what they want. Naturally, they tend to pick whatever they see me wear so they still have been wearing mostly Js but I'll surprise them with Nike retros or kicks from other brands just to let them know that there are kicks out there besides Js.
My 18 year old follow trends from Jordan dunks NB Yezzy and some other brands I laugh at her when she ask for designer I don't even wear it but my 6 year old just grabs pink shoes and hello kitty and whatever characters shoes she likes and she loves them light up twinkle toes

My 18 year old follow trends from Jordan dunks NB Yezzy and some other brands I laugh at her when she ask for designer I don't even wear it but my 6 year old just grabs pink shoes and hello kitty and whatever characters shoes she likes and she loves them light up twinkle toes
Being a parent really makes you understand how much we impact the youth without even knowing it... Most children are like your 6 year old at some point, all they want is their favorite colors and something that lights up :lol: Eventually they get older and start noticing what their parents, siblings, friends wear etc and at that point they begin caring about what's deemed "cool." Being a parent is dope but also scary because it's only so much we can do to mold them, that's why instilling certain values at a young age is critical. Shoes are material items and shouldn't be thought much more than that in the grand scheme of things..I won't be mad if my boys turn out to be sneakerheads but if they do I want it to be because they're genuinely into shoes and not because they're just trying to keep up with trends.

Childish is the main word that came to mind for me, too. I thought she was joking at first, but then she doubled down with the "I think we're gonna send them to dad's and he can wear them there." I honestly just felt sad for the kid. Sounded like he was proud and excited to share something with his step-dad to be, and step-dad just crapped on it. Read the room, dude. You're an authority figure he clearly looks up to. Even you, personally, don't care for them, find something positive to tell the kid. "Yeah buddy, those are cool. Next time we go run some errands, I'll wear mine that are the same colors!" Little stuff like that goes a helluva long way with kids. Sometimes I have students make requests of pairs for me to wear, and if I can do it, I will. We have an event coming up where the whole school is out of uniform. One of my 8th graders is always asking me about different shoes. I put together a list and told him to get a couple of friends together and they get to pick what I wear that day. Stuff like that means the world to them.

Idk stepdad but that dude’s a whole *** moron and so is the petty mom. Instead of being gracious, they act like this? Her child’s father* got him some shoes, he should wear those joints regardless of who he’s with. End of the day, he’s a kid who’s gonna runaround, drag, and beat the life out of his kicks anyways

Last edited:
Idk stepdad but that dude’s a whole *** moron and so is the petty mom. Instead of being gracious, they act like this? Her father’s child got him some shoes, he should wear those joints regardless of who he’s with. End of the day, he’s a kid who’s gonna runaround, drag, and beat the life out of his kicks anyways
This that's why I don't buy my youngest Jordans/Nike at the retail price points unless I catch them on sale cause they are beaters within a week

This that's why I don't buy my youngest Jordans/Nike at the retail price points unless I catch them on sale cause they are beaters within a week
I swear my lil man can turn a new shoe into a beater within a single day at school.

I still get him dope stuff but it's usually on sale.

It kills me that sometimes I will but a shoe several sizes ahead, hold the shoe for years in excitement of him getting to wear them and he will literally dog them within hours. He most recently did this with the British khaki Travis 6s. That's life tho.

I'm trying not to pass down my materialism so I've learned to just accept it for now.

Makes me wonder how I got through a whole year. We used to get 1 pair per year, and they weren't Jordans or nice Nikes, and we were outside outside.
Some years I got lucky and got two pairs a year, my feet grew like a chia pet when I was a kid. Been size 11-12 since like 8th grade. Used to get discount joints at modells, started going to the mall for footlocker and **** by age 9

Makes me wonder how I got through a whole year. We used to get 1 pair per year, and they weren't Jordans or nice Nikes, and we were outside outside.

Some years I got lucky and got two pairs a year, my feet grew like a chia pet when I was a kid. Been size 11-12 since like 8th grade. Used to get discount joints at modells, started going to the mall for footlocker and **** by age 9

Basically what happened to me. It was 1 pair a year uniess I grew out of them. Lots of Shoe Carnival specials in that time period. When I got to high school and got a job, that's when I started getting a couple of pairs a year because I was buying them with my own money. Even then, my mom still hated it. :lol:

Before the 85 come in

IMG_4508.jpeg

If these knock down to 120-140 on nike before swoosh disco, I'd ask my cousin to cop. I want a personal, but I'm not paying retail.

I was talking to a coworker a couple of days ago about sneakers. She wears a lot of AJ1's and knows a little bit about shoes, but it seems to be her fiancee who is the real sneaker fan. She was telling me her ex husband bought her son some True Flight type of Jordans over the weekend and he was all happy to show his future step-dad. Apparently the step-dad smiled in the kid's face, but then told my coworker "we can't have him walking around in those. It's embarrassing." It sounds like he's so embarrassed, they're gonna send the shoes back to kid's dad's place and be like "just wear those when your with dad, " like it reflects poorly on him that his stepson is wearing takedown J's. This is a whole other level of foolishness. :lol: :rolleyes
That's a helluva way to raise a future bully. Teach him some other kids's shoes are lamer than his because his "stepdad says so," so he ends up pointing them out on the playground or in the cafeteria. I caught that **** when I was a 10-11 yo kid when Jordans first started getting big in '88-'89 and I was wearing whatever we got at Marshalls for 50 bucks that I liked. One year, musta been like 89 or 90 the biggest bully in school when I was in 6th grade showed up wearing Air Pressures which were, no lie, $190 at the time. He then picked on every kid who had shoes that weren't top-level Nikes for like 2 mos. Betcha his parents were just like your co-workers :smh:

Basically what happened to me. It was 1 pair a year uniess I grew out of them. Lots of Shoe Carnival specials in that time period. When I got to high school and got a job, that's when I started getting a couple of pairs a year because I was buying them with my own money. Even then, my mom still hated it. :lol:

Oh, hell yeah. Shoe Carnival specials was a delicacy at my house., basically after I all but refused to wear Pay Less joints. I remember one year I got some Nike Court Tennis vulcanized shoes and I thought I was the absolute ****. Got some Reebok Kamikaze Lows another year. Went to Chuck Taylors and One Stars for a few years when they were like $15 at Target. Finally started mowing yards and ended up buying my own shoes by the time I was like 12 or 13 and eventually bought a used pair of Jordan 14 Lows used from a friend in a size or two too small. No turning back after that. It was Nike/Jordan for casual and Vans or Converse for skating. I don't have any of my own kids, but my nephew is 5 and I've bought him more name brand shoes than my parents bought me my entire life.

That's a helluva way to raise a future bully. Teach him some other kids's shoes are lamer than his because his "stepdad says so," so he ends up pointing them out on the playground or in the cafeteria. I caught that **** when I was a 10-11 yo kid when Jordans first started getting big in '88-'89 and I was wearing whatever we got at Marshalls for 50 bucks that I liked. One year, musta been like 89 or 90 the biggest bully in school when I was in 6th grade showed up wearing Air Pressures which were, no lie, $190 at the time. He then picked on every kid who had shoes that weren't top-level Nikes for like 2 mos. Betcha his parents were just like your co-workers :smh:
The mother is at fault too, for letting the foolishness to occur in the first place. Putting his emotions over the kid smh, cmon now!!

The mother is at fault too, for letting the foolishness to occur in the first place. Putting his emotions over the kid smh, cmon now!!

Oh I absolutely remember the Pressures being that much. My friends and I all thought it was a joke because the $110 for Jordans in that era was damn near unfathomable.

I'd never thought of it in that way, but the bully thing is a good point. I'm really hoping the kid didn't figure it out. He's in like 3rd grade and a Jordan is a Jordan is a Jordan to him, but yeah, I'm shocked mom didn't shut it down. And if I'm being honest, she is a bit of a hypebeast/trend hopper as well. Checks Stockx for everything, and has now decided she REALLY needs some AJ4's after wearing nothing but AJ1's and Panda Dunks all year. Told me the other day that the AJ5 is the absolute worst Jordan. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom