Official Air Jordan 1 Retro Low OG Thread

Some more photos

IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0564.jpeg
IMG_0561.jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg

No idea what they’re thinking with the $875 lows. The 85 cut seems to be a complete flop (both low and high).

They could probably make a super limited run of bred/chi/black toe high 85s and sell them for that price but all white with a gum sole? No history or anything to justify that price.
That’s a wild idea I in no way support. This brand has always done a luxury product aimed outside of the normal consumer’s price range now and then. The last thing I want them doing is overcharging for regular colorways. Why would anyone want them to jack up the price for them to maybe sell out even faster?

Why do we need to feel like we lost something here? I couldn’t care any less about not owning those shoes and the price tag isn’t even the main reason.

That’s a wild idea I in no way support. This brand has always done a luxury product aimed outside of the normal consumer’s price range now and then. The last thing I want them doing is overcharging for regular colorways. Why would anyone want them to jack up the price for them to maybe sell out even faster?

Why do we need to feel like we lost something here? I couldn’t care any less about not owning those shoes and the price tag isn’t even the main reason.
My point is there’s nothing to justify the price point. It’s a colorway nobody asked for on a model that nobody seems to care about. Nobody is going to buy these even if they’re limited to 100 pairs.

I never said I wanted them to jack up the price of anything. I said they MIGHT be able to get away with it for certain pairs that people care about.

My point is there’s nothing to justify the price point. It’s a colorway nobody asked for on a model that nobody seems to care about. Nobody is going to buy these even if they’re limited to 100 pairs.

I never said I wanted them to jack up the price of anything. I said they MIGHT be able to get away with it for certain pairs that people care about.
Are you familiar with how luxury products are priced? None of it is based on reality. This simply isn’t in the scope of what 99% of people here buy, because it’s not meant to be.

I’m not going to argue with you. If you can’t see how this and some other releases over the past 20 years have been squarely aimed at a luxury/runway audience, I’m not going to convince you of it.
Any examples where they were actually successful? Only ones that come to mind are those lux 4s which were a flop. Otherwise all their attempts have been collaborations with actual designer labels (Dior 1s, LV AF1s).

Any examples where they were actually successful? Only ones that come to mind are those lux 4s which were a flop. Otherwise all their attempts have been collaborations with actual designer labels (Dior 1s, LV AF1s).
Clearly the 2015 pinnacle series ($400 MSRP or about $525 today) was the precursor to this. With Dior coming in more than twice as much than this release too.

What’s success here? They aren’t looking to offer a bunch of $1K sneakers on a regular basis. Jordan Brand is considered a luxury sneaker brand despite either of our assessment of the quality of the offering. Doing targeted releases for truly high-end fashion isn’t rare. Hell, you can even look at Kith collaborating with brands far more expensive and prestigious than their own which is still considered a luxury brand.

Point being, the goal here is to put pairs into the hands of influencers and industry people, you or I purchasing isn’t something they care about here. It’s about marketing themselves as luxury, not moving units of luxury product.

I'd rather have these "Wings" releases than the Dior 1's or Gucci Adidas, but the brand affiliation does nothing for me on either of those, and I'm still not paying anywhere near any of those prices for a pair of sneakers. I'm not the customer, as I'm sure most of us here are not the customer for these.

Back
Top Bottom