Official Air Jordan I Retro BLACK/ROYAL Thread FEB 2013 - Show Some Maturity People

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may sound like a broken record, but I see absolutely NO harm in reiterating over and over again that buying from resellers, especially on release day, is a horrible thing for everyone. The usual argument or retort that seems to make people feel okay about their own careless spending is "it doesn't matter what another man spends his money on." It certainly does matter as far as what the overall market looks like, and what everyone pays. The fact that resellers ask so much and people pay them out on release day gives an overall false impression that if you get lucky and score a pair, it is now worth 1.5-2x retail right off the bat. It feeds the demand and "can't miss" attitude that fuels many ignorant purchases to begin with. If people thought they were only going to be worth $25 over retail, I think fewer people - even those that aren't reselling - would be interested in them.

My theory is that if people didn't think Jordans were worth so much more than retail, they'd collect fewer of them because there is a large segment of consumers that aren't buying because they really love the shoes, but rather because they think it's cool to do and some great investment due to what resellers set the entry price at.

you made some really good points there!

mean.gif
........Nike and JB is the problem people. They make the shoes and they make them limited so only people who have connections or who want to camp or get lucky online get them

resellers are not the problem....they are making money, when has making money been wrong?

Last edited:
:smh: ........Nike and JB is the problem people. They make the shoes and they make them limited so only people who have connections or who want to camp or get lucky online get them

resellers are not the problem....they are making money, when has making money been wrong?

In some cases you're right, and this particular shoe is one of them. However, people are still trying to bend people over for BRed XI's even though they made 500K (or more) and are even doing a second release now, on top of all the restocks. When's enough? 500K is more than just about any shoe - of any type and from any brand - we saw released in the past year. It's an obscene amount of money and people are still asking $60-$100 over retail. That's not an issue with Nike, that's an issue with resellers and buyers. That shoe should be going for maybe $25 over retail given its availability.

But what about the people "copping 1 to rock and 2 to stock"? Aren't they adding to the issue by forcing other people who want to wear the shoes to buy from resellers?

There's certainly an argument to be made for those people, but ultimately I have no problem with someone buying a second pair to keep on ice if they are going to make one pair a daily wear and beat them into the ground in a year's time. The people stocking multiple pairs though when they'll never get around to wearing another pair certainly contribute to the problems though. I'd argue most of those people are just buying for trade bait, which is definitely an issue as well.

Last edited:
It may sound like a broken record, but I see absolutely NO harm in reiterating over and over again that buying from resellers, especially on release day, is a horrible thing for everyone. The usual argument or retort that seems to make people feel okay about their own careless spending is "it doesn't matter what another man spends his money on." It certainly does matter as far as what the overall market looks like, and what everyone pays. The fact that resellers ask so much and people pay them out on release day gives an overall false impression that if you get lucky and score a pair, it is now worth 1.5-2x retail right off the bat. It feeds the demand and "can't miss" attitude that fuels many ignorant purchases to begin with. If people thought they were only going to be worth $25 over retail, I think fewer people - even those that aren't reselling - would be interested in them.

My theory is that if people didn't think Jordans were worth so much more than retail, they'd collect fewer of them because there is a large segment of consumers that aren't buying because they really love the shoes, but rather because they think it's cool to do and some great investment due to what resellers set the entry price at.

you made some really good points there!
What's up dro. Hope everything is good. This is David's cousin.
Also hypebeasts in LA will buy up everything regardless of popularity. As long as get are a J's retro, they will eat them all up. Just to resell. =[
Only silver lining is you can usually find some pairs reselling prices below what the average eBay/CL guys want for them, since the reseller market is flooded here.

Last edited:
How is it ripping off ? They are on auction and people keep bidding on them. It's up to them to set the price the want to pay.

We wait all year for shoes that don't make it to our shores... We are forced to pay what the market price is. Like I said, it's a horrible cycle. I don't want to pay resale for yeezy 2's. but I want them, so I gotta pay what the are now worth .

Its ok bro, I understand! These americans don't realize how lucky they are sometimes and that living outside of the US you often have to resort to the secondary market to obtain the kicks you're looking for.

I woulda done the exact same thing! CHEERS!:smokin

Last edited:
What's up dro. Hope everything is good. This is David's cousin.
Also hypebeasts in LA will buy up everything regardless of popularity. As long as get are a J's retro, they will eat them all up. Just to resell. =[

David's cousin!!!! My cousin!!!!

Hope all is well dude!

But what about the people "copping 1 to rock and 2 to stock"? Aren't they adding to the issue by forcing other people who want to wear the shoes to buy from resellers?
true, I said this before its the samething and im sure them same people who hate resellers do what you just said.....Some reason its ok for them tho

I hate the term game too, because it implies winners and losers. The fact that anyone feels they are entitled to winning and others should lose at their expense is missing the point of being part of a community. That's what really bothers me. And that's not to say that I believe mutually beneficial trades are a bad thing at all.

mean.gif
........Nike and JB is the problem people. They make the shoes and they make them limited so only people who have connections or who want to camp or get lucky online get them

When greed starts to outshine the original motive for becoming an organization/business in the first place.

You think Bill Bowerman envisioned his company becoming what it is today?

No, he founded Nike as an athletic footwear distributor, mainly running sneakers.

Don't get me wrong, Capitalism is king here in the US but my point is that eventually money and the pursuit of record breaking profits skew the vision of all organizations. 

Reseller's started with an honest intention, buy a few more pairs to sell to pay for the pair(s) that they want to keep. Now due to hype and limited productions numbers, it's been turned into a hustle rather than for the love of the sneaker as it was before. 

I can't knock reseller's anymore than the next guy, they're pockets get fed. It's those that purchase at the thirsty price points that contribute to the endless cycle. Eventually kids will get tired of "collecting" sneakers and move on to the next fad and reseller prices will fade back to what they once were, somewhat reasonable. However, they will always exist. Reselling is the backbone of capitalism, making a buck off of someone else's back. 

Last edited:
Aint no cot damn game. 

If you want to cop, and have an ounce of acumen, you should have no issues 90% of the time. 

The only kicks I missed out on, over the past year, that I really wanted, were the BRED IVs. 

Then again, I doubled up (could have secured more for trade bait) on the BRED 11S, so.....

At the end of the day, if you aint coppin', maybe you don;t have any "game."

Im still on the look for my first pair but cant hate on the dude for what he did. He saw an opportunity and took it. Debate all the semantics u want. I wouldve done it to. Practice of some restraint though may have helped.

I hate the term game too, because it implies winners and losers. The fact that anyone feels they are entitled to winning and others should lose at their expense is missing the point of being part of a community. That's what really bothers me. And that's not to say that I believe mutually beneficial trades are a bad thing at all.
But if you really thinking about it, it's always will be winners (copped) and losers(missed out).it happens. no use in getting bent out of shape because of it (not saying you are trappedintime, just a general statement). being a "loser" in this situation isn't' a big whoop, we've all been there and won't be our last...

When greed starts to outshine the original motive for becoming an organization/business in the first place.

You think Bill Bowerman envisioned his company becoming what it is today?

No, he founded Nike as an athletic footwear distributor, mainly running sneakers.

Don't get me wrong, Capitalism is king here in the US but my point is that eventually money and the pursuit of record breaking profits skew the vision of all organizations. 

Reseller's started with an honest intention, buy a few more pairs to sell to pay for the pair(s) that they want to keep. Now due to hype and limited productions numbers, it's been turned into a hustle rather than for the love of the sneaker as it was before. 

I can't knock reseller's anymore than the next guy, they're pockets get fed. It's those that purchase at the thirsty price points that contribute to the endless cycle. Eventually kids will get tired of "collecting" sneakers and move on to the next fad and reseller prices will fade back to what they once were, somewhat reasonable. However, they will always exist. Reselling is the backbone of capitalism, making a buck off of someone else's back. 
 I understand what your saying.......But what about the people like me who don't camp and cant get lucky online when it comes to copping limited J's or any sneaker that's limited for retail? And they dont restock all the shoes......So resellers is the only way people like me can get the shoe

If its not a GR i cant seem to get it for retail.......that's just how it is for me and im sure a lot of other people

Last edited:
But if you really thinking about it, it's always will be winners (copped) and losers(missed out).it happens. no use in getting bent out of shape because of it (not saying you are trappedintime, just a general statement). being a "loser" in this situation isn't' a big whoop, we've all been there and won't be our last...

Well that's the thing... I've been buying Jordans since 1992. There weren't losers then, there was no winning/losing. If you wanted a pair of Jordans and had the money, they were yours. I'd like to think that by increasing production overall, better restraint from consumers dealing with resellers, etc. we can start to move back toward that. It's not as if they didn't still sell out, but if you had your funds in order on release day, from 1985-2001 (probably even more like 04-05) you would get your pair. I realize it's not the same as when I got into it, but the community goal should be that everyone who wants a pair can get a pair.

Last edited:
 I understand what your saying.......But what about the people like me who don't camp and cant get lucky online when it comes to copping limited J's or any sneaker that's limited for retail? And they dont restock all the shoes......So resellers is the only way people like me can get the shoe

If its not a GR i cant seem to get it for retail.......that's just how it is for me and im sure a lot of other people
There's always a way. It may seem "unattainable" sometimes, but if you put in your own work and make your own calls there is always a way to keep queen retail at your disposal. Unless we're talking unreleased samples 
laugh.gif

Staying informed is the #1 to get ahead, and that goes for more than just sneakers. 

Like me, I overslept on RD for these and I paid the price of missing out, but that's reflective of the effort I put into it and I'm satisfied with that, no one to blame but myself. 

Well that's the thing... I've been buying Jordans since 1992. There weren't losers then, there was no winning/losing. If you wanted a pair of Jordans and had the money, they were yours. I'd like to think that by increasing production overall, better restraint from consumers dealing with resellers, etc. we can start to move back toward that. It's not as if they didn't still sell out, but if you had your funds in order on release day, from 1985-2001 (probably even more like 04-05) you would get your pair. I realize it's not the same as when I got into it, but the community goal should be that everyone who wants a pair can get a pair.
yea times have definitely changed. it's becoming even more dog eat dog.... :smh:

There's always a way. It may seem "unattainable" sometimes, but if you put in your own work and make your own calls there is always a way to keep queen retail at your disposal. Unless we're talking unreleased samples 
laugh.gif

Staying informed is the #1 to get ahead, and that goes for more than just sneakers. 

Like me, I overslept on RD for these and I paid the price of missing out, but that's reflective of the effort I put into it and I'm satisfied with that, no one to blame but myself. 
Even tho my luck with limited releases is BAD as hell. I still try to cop at retail before I got to the resellers

Inbound into customs. Finally some movement!

Can't wait to finally get my pair and be done frequently visiting this thread.

Took a break from studying Economics and went on NT royal thread. Learned more about Econ readying all of your comments than my book just taught me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom