::Official ask a Muslim vol. Salaam::

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

I'm fairly certain that we believe in the Gospels, but as the original version. Please do not be offended, but Muslims believe that the Bible has been changed from it's original.

word to the King James Version and all the other ones. 

If you believe islam is the true religion.....do you think you would have found it regardless if you came from a non-muslim/arab background? For example, if you were never exposed to the word of the Koran or Allah.

Good question TeamJordan.

I also want to mention, how do you know that the Qur'an is infact true in its original form. Other findings and history facts say otherwise.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

I'm fairly certain that we believe in the Gospels, but as the original version. Please do not be offended, but Muslims believe that the Bible has been changed from it's original.

word to the King James Version and all the other ones. 

If you believe islam is the true religion.....do you think you would have found it regardless if you came from a non-muslim/arab background? For example, if you were never exposed to the word of the Koran or Allah.

Good question TeamJordan.

I also want to mention, how do you know that the Qur'an is infact true in its original form. Other findings and history facts say otherwise.

If you believe islam is the true religion.....do youthink you would have found it regardless if you came from anon-muslim/arab background? For example, if you were never exposed tothe word of the Koran or Allah.

I've considered that very question many times before.

I think it would depend on my upbringing, and if I was brought up with any religious belief at all.  But, I think  because of the media's portrayal, and the general feelings toward Islam today, I would not eventually become a Muslim.

If you believe islam is the true religion.....do youthink you would have found it regardless if you came from anon-muslim/arab background? For example, if you were never exposed tothe word of the Koran or Allah.

I think it would depend on my upbringing, and if I was brought up with any religious belief at all.  But, I think  because of the media's portrayal, and the general feelings toward Islam today, I would not eventually become a Muslim.

I have heard this and examined this a while back. The concept of the Qur'an being preserved in it's memorization was something that convinced me. I could link to a lecture on that if you'd like. And, as far as I understand it, there are multiple old manuscripts, dating as far back as about 700 CE which confirm it's preservation to date.

I have heard this and examined this a while back. The concept of the Qur'an being preserved in it's memorization was something that convinced me. I could link to a lecture on that if you'd like. And, as far as I understand it, there are multiple old manuscripts, dating as far back as about 700 CE which confirm it's preservation to date.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

...and therefore go to hell. Funny how that works.

Wassup bro, a Mosque opened up near my job, I have a few questions

1.Became really cool with this one guy, he's real chill I say whats up everyday too him but one time he stopped and talked to us, ever since from time to time he asks me if "I'm ready" and if I am to come over. is he tryna initiation me?

2. I pay attention to the movement since Im across the street, and if there's one thing I can ask you is, do they carry everyday jobs? I literally see the same people everyday walk in and 9am, leave for lunch, come back and when I get off sometimes like at 10-11pm they are still there. Ive seen them close at 1am before.

3.Ive also noticed all the women church goers go at night, I see none during the day, means anything?

all I can think of right now

1.Became really cool with this one guy, he's real chill I say whats up everyday too him but one time he stopped and talked to us, ever since from time to time he asks me if "I'm ready" and if I am to come over. is he tryna initiation me?

2. I pay attention to the movement since Im across the street, and if there's one thing I can ask you is, do they carry everyday jobs? I literally see the same people everyday walk in and 9am, leave for lunch, come back and when I get off sometimes like at 10-11pm they are still there. Ive seen them close at 1am before.

3.Ive also noticed all the women church goers go at night, I see none during the day, means anything?

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

1. I would assume that he is asking you if you are interested in learning more about islam, not converting you the moment you step into the masjid. 
2. Its like that with nearly ever masjid. There is always a small group of people who hang out at the masjid ALL DAY. Some are homeless, some take care of the mosque, but in almost all cases, they are some of the most devout muslims you will meet. Introduce your self and have some chai/coffee/tea with them. 

3. Tough one to answer as a man. Again every masjid is different from women being free to not cover their hair while in the masjid to outright banning women. Perhaps the women you see have jobs and you are seeing them come to pray magrib (evening prayer) when they off work. 

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

1. I would assume that he is asking you if you are interested in learning more about islam, not converting you the moment you step into the masjid. 
2. Its like that with nearly ever masjid. There is always a small group of people who hang out at the masjid ALL DAY. Some are homeless, some take care of the mosque, but in almost all cases, they are some of the most devout muslims you will meet. Introduce your self and have some chai/coffee/tea with them. 

3. Tough one to answer as a man. Again every masjid is different from women being free to not cover their hair while in the masjid to outright banning women. Perhaps the women you see have jobs and you are seeing them come to pray magrib (evening prayer) when they off work. 

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

3. Tough one to answer as a man. Again every masjid is different from women being free to not cover their hair while in the masjid to outright banning women.
Am I the only one who finds it odd that ANY religious temple would ban women?  This furthers my point of Islam degrading women, its really sad. What's worse is all the ignorant followers who try to act like its okay or justify in some off way.

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

3. Tough one to answer as a man. Again every masjid is different from women being free to not cover their hair while in the masjid to outright banning women.
Am I the only one who finds it odd that ANY religious temple would ban women?  This furthers my point of Islam degrading women, its really sad. What's worse is all the ignorant followers who try to act like its okay or justify in some off way.

You and I are different ends on a spectrum in the sense that I was a big believer in Islam and the more research I did as I was rethinking organized religion is when I became disassociated with it and I came to the realization that Islam was also manmade.

I also used to be so fascinated by the Qur'an's literature, poetic flow and how people memorized it. It is also said Prophet Mohammed was illiterate and that it is a miracle he was able to recite all of the Qur'an. But then I looked in to the history and that was very achievable since during the pagan Arab era they used to be huge on poetry and the tribes used to do memorizations in the same way. A lot of the famous poets were also illiterate. Poetry was one of their main source of communication.

The Qur'an was also not always in its true form from the beginning. The way it was collected was a political process. Tthe original Qur’an was created during the political reign of Abu Bakr. In different parts of the Middle East there were even different version and copies. Then you have to look into the political process and history and it is very evident to why Hudhaifa and Uthman decided to burn all the other copies and remained with one version unity of the Qur'an since it was meant unity of all Muslims. Muslim source materials even indicate there were initially four different versions of the Qur'an. When you look at the Qur'an, does it not say "the book of Uthman"? It is all because in the process how it came to that one edited and compiled version.

That is why when Muslims claim that the Qur'an is original in its true form and dismiss all the other religious texts, I just cringe. They completely overlook the history and how the Qur'an was edited too.

I will say though, I think Prophet Mohammed was a genius, but in no way do I believe he was a real prophet sent from God like he claims he was.

You and I are different ends on a spectrum in the sense that I was a big believer in Islam and the more research I did as I was rethinking organized religion is when I became disassociated with it and I came to the realization that Islam was also manmade.

I also used to be so fascinated by the Qur'an's literature, poetic flow and how people memorized it. It is also said Prophet Mohammed was illiterate and that it is a miracle he was able to recite all of the Qur'an. But then I looked in to the history and that was very achievable since during the pagan Arab era they used to be huge on poetry and the tribes used to do memorizations in the same way. A lot of the famous poets were also illiterate. Poetry was one of their main source of communication.

The Qur'an was also not always in its true form from the beginning. The way it was collected was a political process. Tthe original Qur’an was created during the political reign of Abu Bakr. In different parts of the Middle East there were even different version and copies. Then you have to look into the political process and history and it is very evident to why Hudhaifa and Uthman decided to burn all the other copies and remained with one version unity of the Qur'an since it was meant unity of all Muslims. Muslim source materials even indicate there were initially four different versions of the Qur'an. When you look at the Qur'an, does it not say "the book of Uthman"? It is all because in the process how it came to that one edited and compiled version.

That is why when Muslims claim that the Qur'an is original in its true form and dismiss all the other religious texts, I just cringe. They completely overlook the history and how the Qur'an was edited too.

I will say though, I think Prophet Mohammed was a genius, but in no way do I believe he was a real prophet sent from God like he claims he was.

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

weebay.gif

weebay.gif

Probably was not necessary in this thread but ok...
I don't understand why people have such a phobia for everything Islam. Really it's not much different than other religions. Most people that are Muslims in this country aren't even extremists, antagonizing all of them will only change that. Then we will really have something to worry about...

I don't understand why people have such a phobia for everything Islam. Really it's not much different than other religions. Most people that are Muslims in this country aren't even extremists, antagonizing all of them will only change that. Then we will really have something to worry about...

0cks wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why people have such a phobia for everything Islam. Really it's not much different than other religions. Most people that are Muslims in this country aren't even extremists, antagonizing all of them will only change that. Then we will really have something to worry about...

Why was that unnecessary in this thread?

That is another problem with Islamic culture, you cannot question Islam or give constructive opinion or criticism. That is why they have kept the hidden history so well from Muslims on the origins of Islam. Just because I do not believe Prophet Mohammed to be an actual messenger like you do as it is your faith, it does not mean it is disrespectful. I have the same views about the other two monotheistic faiths when it comes to religious prophets and figures like Moses and Jesus. That is just my opinion.

I truly think Prophet Mohammed was a genius for what he did in the way he created Islam, just like other religious figures. He is greatly underestimated in the West for his influence. But, his legacy is astonishing. I would put him in the top 5 of the list for the world's most influential people in history.

I do not know if your second commentary is towards me. I actually have respect for Islam, my family is of a Muslim background and even though I am not practicing nor believe in it anymore, it will always be ingrained in me as part of my identity in some ways.

Back to Prophet Mohammed, infact, he should get more credit for the fall of the Roman empire. After the prophet's death, the Roman and Persian empires fell to the prophet's sucessor's. Two centuries following the conquest of Islam in Arabia, the Islamic empire grew into one of the largest empires all the way to Asia and back to through Western Europe (Southern Spain) and Africa. That is when Islam was in its Golden Age while the rest of Europe was in the Dark Ages. The Renaissance was influence by the Islamic Golden Age.

These two quotes give insight into what I mean about Prophet Mohammed...
"If greatness of purpose, smallness of menas, and astounding results are the

three criteria of human genius, who could dare to compare any great man in

modern history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws and

empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers

which often crumbled before their eyes. This man moved not only armies,

legislations, empires, peoples and dynasties, but millions of men in one-third

of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods,

the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and souls... his forbearance in victory,

his ambition, which was entirely devoted to one idea and in no manner striving

for an empire; his endless prayers, his mystic conversations with God, his

death and his triumph after death; all these attest not to an imposture but to

a firm conviction which gave him the power to restore a dogma. This dogma was

twofold, the unity of God and the immateriality of God; the former telling what

God is, the latter what God is not, Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator,

warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational dogmas, of a cult without

images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire,

that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be

measured, we may ask, is there any man greater than he?"

Lamartine

"Historia de la turquie", Paris 1854. Vol. II. pp.276-7

Mohammed was distinguished by the beauty of his person, an outward gift which

is seldom despised, except by those to whom if has been refused. Before he

spoke, the orator engaged on his side the affections whether of a public or a

private audience. They applauded his commanding presence, his majestic aspect,

his piercing eye, his gracious smile, his flowing beard, his countenance which

painted every sensation of his soul, and the gestures that enforced each

expression of the tongue. In the familiar offices of life, he scrupulously

adhered to the grave and ceremonious politeness of his country; his respectful

attention to the rich and powerful was dignified by his condescension and

affability to the poorest citizen of Mecca;... his memory was capacious and

retentive, his wit easy and social, his imagination sublime, his judgement

clear, rapid and decisive. He possessed the courage both of thouht and

action;... bears the stamp of an original and superior genius."

Edward Gibbon

"Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."

0cks wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why people have such a phobia for everything Islam. Really it's not much different than other religions. Most people that are Muslims in this country aren't even extremists, antagonizing all of them will only change that. Then we will really have something to worry about...

Why was that unnecessary in this thread?

That is another problem with Islamic culture, you cannot question Islam or give constructive opinion or criticism. That is why they have kept the hidden history so well from Muslims on the origins of Islam. Just because I do not believe Prophet Mohammed to be an actual messenger like you do as it is your faith, it does not mean it is disrespectful. I have the same views about the other two monotheistic faiths when it comes to religious prophets and figures like Moses and Jesus. That is just my opinion.

I truly think Prophet Mohammed was a genius for what he did in the way he created Islam, just like other religious figures. He is greatly underestimated in the West for his influence. But, his legacy is astonishing. I would put him in the top 5 of the list for the world's most influential people in history.

I do not know if your second commentary is towards me. I actually have respect for Islam, my family is of a Muslim background and even though I am not practicing nor believe in it anymore, it will always be ingrained in me as part of my identity in some ways.

Back to Prophet Mohammed, infact, he should get more credit for the fall of the Roman empire. After the prophet's death, the Roman and Persian empires fell to the prophet's sucessor's. Two centuries following the conquest of Islam in Arabia, the Islamic empire grew into one of the largest empires all the way to Asia and back to through Western Europe (Southern Spain) and Africa. That is when Islam was in its Golden Age while the rest of Europe was in the Dark Ages. The Renaissance was influence by the Islamic Golden Age.

These two quotes give insight into what I mean about Prophet Mohammed...
"If greatness of purpose, smallness of menas, and astounding results are the

three criteria of human genius, who could dare to compare any great man in

modern history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws and

empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers

which often crumbled before their eyes. This man moved not only armies,

legislations, empires, peoples and dynasties, but millions of men in one-third

of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods,

the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and souls... his forbearance in victory,

his ambition, which was entirely devoted to one idea and in no manner striving

for an empire; his endless prayers, his mystic conversations with God, his

death and his triumph after death; all these attest not to an imposture but to

a firm conviction which gave him the power to restore a dogma. This dogma was

twofold, the unity of God and the immateriality of God; the former telling what

God is, the latter what God is not, Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator,

warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational dogmas, of a cult without

images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire,

that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be

measured, we may ask, is there any man greater than he?"

Lamartine

"Historia de la turquie", Paris 1854. Vol. II. pp.276-7

Mohammed was distinguished by the beauty of his person, an outward gift which

is seldom despised, except by those to whom if has been refused. Before he

spoke, the orator engaged on his side the affections whether of a public or a

private audience. They applauded his commanding presence, his majestic aspect,

his piercing eye, his gracious smile, his flowing beard, his countenance which

painted every sensation of his soul, and the gestures that enforced each

expression of the tongue. In the familiar offices of life, he scrupulously

adhered to the grave and ceremonious politeness of his country; his respectful

attention to the rich and powerful was dignified by his condescension and

affability to the poorest citizen of Mecca;... his memory was capacious and

retentive, his wit easy and social, his imagination sublime, his judgement

clear, rapid and decisive. He possessed the courage both of thouht and

action;... bears the stamp of an original and superior genius."

Edward Gibbon

"Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."

I work with somebody that is Muslim. I see her everyday for the past month fasting for Ramadan. I have thought about fasting with her for a day because I wanted to understand my self-control and how it would feel to not eat from sun up to sundown.

I have thought about this long and hard and still have not fasted for her. I feel sorry that she is fasting but I feel sorry for myself for not taking part in fasting. How does one have such great self-control to not eat for a day?

Back
Top Bottom