...Official BLACKBERRY Thread v.updated...

Originally Posted by Jack Knoff

im kinda sick of my iphone.

anyone know whats the main difference between a bold 9650 and a 9700?
One is CDMA (Verizon/Sprint), the other is GSM (T-Mo/AT&T), the 9650 comes with double the memory (512 MB).  And with that it's expected to be upgradeable to OS6, whereas it's unclear whether or not the current 9700 can handle it.

Originally Posted by iamxtian

Originally Posted by Jordan Freak 32

Another pic - Bold 9650 with Otterbox Commuter
is that how the trackpad is?!
pimp.gif
Whatchu mean? Like the color? It's black but it looks like that purple-*%+ tint under sunlight. Or something like that
laugh.gif

I'm feeling kinda tight right now, ordered my 9650 soon as they went online, said it would be 2 day shipping. Waiting all day for that joint to come in, nothing. I checked the FedEx tracking # to find out that it won't be arriving until Monday. Does it really take 5 days to get something from PA to CT? Verizon's slow as hell to get BlackBerries to market, and they can't even deliver them in a timely fashion either...garbage.

Originally Posted by iamxtian

Another pic - Bold 9650 with Otterbox Commuter
is that how the trackpad is?!
pimp.gif
Whatchu mean? Like the color? It's black but it looks like that purple-*%+ tint under sunlight. Or something like that
laugh.gif
i was about to say...checked out my 9700 and it doesn't have that effect anymore.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by Jack Knoff

im kinda sick of my iphone.

anyone know whats the main difference between a bold 9650 and a 9700?
One is CDMA (Verizon/Sprint), the other is GSM (T-Mo/AT&T), the 9650 comes with double the memory (512 MB).  And with that it's expected to be upgradeable to OS6, whereas it's unclear whether or not the current 9700 can handle it.

The 9700 has 512 too....

And if any current BB out is compatible with OS 6 it will be the 9700 first and foremost...

9700 >>>> 9650

The 9700 only has 256mb ram. That's why there are rumors of a new revised bold with more ram available to support the upcoming OS 6.

So hold up I just bought this 9700 a couple of months ago and I'm not gonna be able to upgrade it to the new OS. That's some bs. Why did I switch from android?

I don't know, why did you?

There's no guarantees one way or another. The first glimpses of OS6 were run on a 9700, but with the rumors of a refreshed 9700a with double the memory, it might appear that ideally the phone would need 512MB to be smooth/full featured. There's no official word yet, just sources and rumors, we're still waiting on the confirmation.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

If I were to cop a BB 9700 (tmobile) soon..would I regret this decision in a few months?
nerd.gif

(..I've decided not to get the new iphone..eff AT&T and their rape prices)
Possibly.  The rumor right now is that they're refreshing the 9700 with 512MB (double the 9700), a 5 MP camera, and OS6 standard with the new webkit browser.  That's important for current 9700 owners because it means that the current device won't have enough memory to support OS6.  Then again some say that it could run 9700 but might just be sluggish, that's why 512MB is going to be the standard for new BB's in order to run OS6.

Then there's the possibility that the new 9800 slider might be coming to T-Mobile in the future too.  I think right now it's expected to come to AT&T first, but from what I've read it could come to T-Mo as well.

I would wait on it right now.  At least to see the review on OS6 and if it's a huge improvement for RIM, and to see if any more news comes out for the 9700a.  Even if you decide to get the 9700 it's still a great device, but I'd wait a bit.
I just recently heard about the 9700 refresh...Onyx II supposedly.
Then that 9800 slider ..but like you said I'm sure it will be out exclusively to AT&T first..and Tmo may pick it up later.
EDIT: that pic up there with the Tmobile SIM card...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Anyways thanks for the good info love
wink.gif

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

If I were to cop a BB 9700 (tmobile) soon..would I regret this decision in a few months?
nerd.gif

what do u have now
iphone on tmo
ohwell.gif
damn u rockin wit them edge speeds
laugh.gif

if your staying on t-mobile, da best phones options are da nexus one, mytouch slide, and da 9700....and if you're gonna get da 9700 hold out

till da joint wit extra memory drops.

Is there going to be a huge difference between OS6 and 7 that they're making such a huge deal of it?

I hope that new Bold has that purplish tint and its not from the lighting.
pimp.gif

You mean OS5 and OS6.

The biggest deal for me is the new webkit browser, which will be much improved over the crappy default one, even though the first thing I did was install Opera Mini, but still.

From Crackberry...
    * As expected, it's an evolution of the existing BlackBerry OS
    * RIM has implemented kinetic scrolling with rubber banding throughout the OS (more fluid experience)
    * RIM has implemented multitouch throughout the OS - web browser, photos (including pinch to zoom!)
    * Re-vamped inbox - w/ large thumbnails to identify the type of message (facebook, twitter, etc.) and features built-in RSS. BG is loving the experience here...
    * Homescreen changeup: No widget support, but RIM has implemented something called Pages. BG's explanation:
          o "You can have your applications on the main page, then slide left or right to another page with different applications and browse that way. In the homescreen screenshot above, you'll see a sliding field towards the bottom, and you can slide that up, and reveal the first page of applications, and you can then slide that to show the different groups which correspond to the different homescreen page. Favorites, all, home, etc."
    * On touchscreen device, new modal popup with gestures - tap and hold, pops up an icon set (menu) with context menu items (read full explanation at BGR).
    * Updated media player, photos app and of course the WebKit browser!!
Still unknown what changes/updates the non-touchscreen phones will see since most of that involves touch.

It won't be anything groundbreaking or new, but it will be a needed update for RIM to keep up with the times.  Fans of BB shouldn't be expecting anything Earth shattering, but that's not really RIM's market so it's ok.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

nerd.gif

Possibly.  The rumor right now is that they're refreshing the 9700 with 512MB (double the 9700), a 5 MP camera, and OS6 standard with the new webkit browser.  That's important for current 9700 owners because it means that the current device won't have enough memory to support OS6.  Then again some say that it could run 9700 but might just be sluggish, that's why 512MB is going to be the standard for new BB's in order to run OS6.

Then there's the possibility that the new 9800 slider might be coming to T-Mobile in the future too.  I think right now it's expected to come to AT&T first, but from what I've read it could come to T-Mo as well.

I would wait on it right now.  At least to see the review on OS6 and if it's a huge improvement for RIM, and to see if any more news comes out for the 9700a.  Even if you decide to get the 9700 it's still a great device, but I'd wait a bit.
I just recently heard about the 9700 refresh...Onyx II supposedly.
Then that 9800 slider ..but like you said I'm sure it will be out exclusively to AT&T first..and Tmo may pick it up later.
EDIT: that pic up there with the Tmobile SIM card...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Anyways thanks for the good info love
wink.gif

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

nerd.gif

what do u have now
iphone on tmo
ohwell.gif
damn u rockin wit them edge speeds
laugh.gif

if your staying on t-mobile, da best phones options are da nexus one, mytouch slide, and da 9700....and if you're gonna get da 9700 hold out

till da joint wit extra memory drops.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
yeah..
but now that the new iphone dropped..it may be AT&T
nerd.gif
..we'll see though.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

am i the only one who likes the browser the phone came with? lol

yes lol the default browser sucks its so slow
i have both opera mini and bolt on my phone so i  can browse 2 different sites
pimp.gif

I use Opera. I dislike Bolt's font and find Opera's functions easier and more natural.

Try them both, it's just preference. But I can't see how people primarily use the default browser. Opera is far faster, has tabs, it's great.

I've been using Opera and it's great.. The only problem is once I updated my phone's firmware the trackpad started to spazz out in Opera

Still unknown what changes/updates the non-touchscreen phones will see since most of that involves touch.

Maybe theres just no changes at all for the non touchscreen phones
eyes.gif

The new features just reminds me of an iphone.

seems like i need to start selling my 9700 now cause i kno a new blackberry is going to drop at the end of the year for tmobile

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

i'm really feeling like I might jump ship to Android...This webkit news is really not living up to the hype...i have the option right now of copping the Incredible, waiting on the Droid Shadow details to leak or just getting the Bold...and depending on what Apple says on Monday, I might make a move on that.

Blackberry has kinda gotten old for me. Honestly, if it wasn't for BBM and my simple comfort with the phone, i'd have given it up a long time ago. RIM's only fortress is its business crowd, of which only a small percentage use the encrpytion features. Push email and other "cloud" options are available on other devices...RIM needs to step it up...I never thought i'd be saying this but i'm not impressed lately...

I feel the exact same way. Before ordering my 9650 online, I checked out the Droid Incredible and was very tempted to jump to Android-very impressive phone. I got my Bold Monday, and the excitement was short lived. It's basically more of the same, and since I've been running OS5 on my Curve for about a year, nothing new...Then again, the reason why I decided to reup with BB is, although it doesn't have the hardware specs of the HTC or the apps that Apple has, is that the BB does exactly what I need it to do.

Right now I have 2 gripes with the 9650- the trackpad isn't centered squarely in the device- the left corner of the trackpad is tilted up higher than the right. Checked on Crackberry, quite a few people complained of the same thing. Second is battery life- I started off the day with a full charge, battery was down to less than 10% by 7 pm. I'm guessing Wi-Fi is what killed the battery, as my previous BlackBerries were good on battery life, and I wasn't on the phone real heavy today.

Back
Top Bottom