OFFICIAL Boston Celtics 2010-2011 Season Thread vol. See you in 2018!

Originally Posted by doyung9

MUST WIN TONIGHT FELLAS!

Rose is killing 
30t6p3b.gif

Just ugly...

Ya'll might not make it to the Conference Finals.

Just ugly...

I bet you guys are even more 
mad.gif
 at ainge right now for that trade. I mean he traded away one of your best big men and completely ruined the chemistry of the team.

I bet you guys are even more 
mad.gif
 at ainge right now for that trade. I mean he traded away one of your best big men and completely ruined the chemistry of the team.

Originally Posted by S4L3

Just ugly...

Ray Allen played 38 minutes. The most of any starter. They'll be fine in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by S4L3

Just ugly...

Ray Allen played 38 minutes. The most of any starter. They'll be fine in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by DMan14

what was ainge's explanation on the erden trade? still baffles me
We never heard. It was stupid to trade him and Harangody for nothing. That was so stupid.
The most cogent explanation is that Ainge began using psychotropic drugs the day of the trade deadline.

But seriously, I think it was best explained in the following article:

[Customary NT cliffnotes: Ainge stated that the '80's Celtics tried to ride the team into the next decade without making moves to get younger. Ainge didn't want history to repeat itself with this team. He wanted to get younger, and more versatile. As an aside, I don't see how trading one of the best "young" centers in the League in favor of the aging O'Neals accomplishes that, but oh well.]
[h1]http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....e-learned-from-history-tries-to-avoid-repeat/[/h1]
[h1]Boston’s Danny Ainge learned from history, tries to avoid repeating it[/h1]
Kurt Helin

Feb 24, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT

13 Comments
dainge_celtics.jpg

When the Boston Celtics powerhouse teams of the ‘80s wound down, the wheels came off that franchise. There were a lot of factors; Len Bias was a big one.

Current Celtics GM Danny Ainge — a member of those teams — has said the Celtics made a mistake trying to ride the wave all the way in to shore, then they couldn’t paddle back out. They were not aggressive enough in dealing with the decline, something Zach Lowe reminded us of at Sports Illustrated.

Thursday ainge put that history lesson into action. He traded Kendrick Perkins (and Nate Robinson) for an overrated forward in Jeff Green and a nice backup center in Nenad Krstic.

It’s a move that makes the Celtics worse today. They have Glen Davis, but they are now counting on Shaquille O’Neal (and to a lesser degree Jermaine O’Neal) to be healthy and stay healthy through the playoffs. Kevin Garnett and his iron will are still there. But Perkins will now be scowling at Kevin Durant.

Boston did not become weak with this move — they are still a contender in the East. They had the best record in the East when he was out. They still could get another banner this year. They still have Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. They traded Semih Erden and Luke Harangody to free up roster spaces so they go get Troy Murphy — not Rasheed Wallace, he’s not coming — or someone else who is bought out. They will still be in the title hunt no matter what.

The risk is in the playoff matchups. Perkins is a good post defender. He was their man against Dwight Howard. Shaq cannot handle Howard as well and is far more foul prone. Big Baby struggles against him. It’s going to take a team effort. Thing is, the Celtics old strategy was to leave Perkins on an island with Howard and take away everyone else because Perk could slow Howard. This changes that game. But the Magic still have a host of other non-Howard problems, and Boston would still be a favorite.

But what about the Heat? Will the defense be the same when LeBron James and Dwyane Wade come driving into the lane? And the biggest threat, what about the Lakers? Andrew Bynum and Paul Gasol played volleyball with each other at the net in Game 7 when Perkins was out last season. Maybe the Lakers can’t get by the Spurs, but is that the risk you take.

Perkins might have left this summer for nothing. Boston made a four-year, $22 million offer to him (the max extension offer they could make off his current deal) and he turned it down. Perkins wants to get paid. Ainge didn’t want to risk that future, so he made a move. He got a good pick from the Clippers, and the Celtics don’t get a lot of quality picks (theirs are usually late in the round) so that is a plus. He got Jeff Green, who the Celtics drafted and maybe can start to approach the potential of his athleticism. The Celtics also have Rondo, who will be at the heart of their rebuilding efforts.

But to trade a core player in the middle of a championship window? That’s a ballsy move. A big risk. If Boston wins it all, Ainge looks genius. He has kept winning and started a transition to the future.

But if they don’t, if the Celtics lose somewhere along the line — especially to a team with great play up front — Ainge is going to hear it. Because most people want to ride that wave all the way into shore.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by DMan14

what was ainge's explanation on the erden trade? still baffles me
We never heard. It was stupid to trade him and Harangody for nothing. That was so stupid.
The most cogent explanation is that Ainge began using psychotropic drugs the day of the trade deadline.

But seriously, I think it was best explained in the following article:

[Customary NT cliffnotes: Ainge stated that the '80's Celtics tried to ride the team into the next decade without making moves to get younger. Ainge didn't want history to repeat itself with this team. He wanted to get younger, and more versatile. As an aside, I don't see how trading one of the best "young" centers in the League in favor of the aging O'Neals accomplishes that, but oh well.]
[h1]http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....e-learned-from-history-tries-to-avoid-repeat/[/h1]
[h1]Boston’s Danny Ainge learned from history, tries to avoid repeating it[/h1]
Kurt Helin

Feb 24, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT

13 Comments
dainge_celtics.jpg

When the Boston Celtics powerhouse teams of the ‘80s wound down, the wheels came off that franchise. There were a lot of factors; Len Bias was a big one.

Current Celtics GM Danny Ainge — a member of those teams — has said the Celtics made a mistake trying to ride the wave all the way in to shore, then they couldn’t paddle back out. They were not aggressive enough in dealing with the decline, something Zach Lowe reminded us of at Sports Illustrated.

Thursday ainge put that history lesson into action. He traded Kendrick Perkins (and Nate Robinson) for an overrated forward in Jeff Green and a nice backup center in Nenad Krstic.

It’s a move that makes the Celtics worse today. They have Glen Davis, but they are now counting on Shaquille O’Neal (and to a lesser degree Jermaine O’Neal) to be healthy and stay healthy through the playoffs. Kevin Garnett and his iron will are still there. But Perkins will now be scowling at Kevin Durant.

Boston did not become weak with this move — they are still a contender in the East. They had the best record in the East when he was out. They still could get another banner this year. They still have Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. They traded Semih Erden and Luke Harangody to free up roster spaces so they go get Troy Murphy — not Rasheed Wallace, he’s not coming — or someone else who is bought out. They will still be in the title hunt no matter what.

The risk is in the playoff matchups. Perkins is a good post defender. He was their man against Dwight Howard. Shaq cannot handle Howard as well and is far more foul prone. Big Baby struggles against him. It’s going to take a team effort. Thing is, the Celtics old strategy was to leave Perkins on an island with Howard and take away everyone else because Perk could slow Howard. This changes that game. But the Magic still have a host of other non-Howard problems, and Boston would still be a favorite.

But what about the Heat? Will the defense be the same when LeBron James and Dwyane Wade come driving into the lane? And the biggest threat, what about the Lakers? Andrew Bynum and Paul Gasol played volleyball with each other at the net in Game 7 when Perkins was out last season. Maybe the Lakers can’t get by the Spurs, but is that the risk you take.

Perkins might have left this summer for nothing. Boston made a four-year, $22 million offer to him (the max extension offer they could make off his current deal) and he turned it down. Perkins wants to get paid. Ainge didn’t want to risk that future, so he made a move. He got a good pick from the Clippers, and the Celtics don’t get a lot of quality picks (theirs are usually late in the round) so that is a plus. He got Jeff Green, who the Celtics drafted and maybe can start to approach the potential of his athleticism. The Celtics also have Rondo, who will be at the heart of their rebuilding efforts.

But to trade a core player in the middle of a championship window? That’s a ballsy move. A big risk. If Boston wins it all, Ainge looks genius. He has kept winning and started a transition to the future.

But if they don’t, if the Celtics lose somewhere along the line — especially to a team with great play up front — Ainge is going to hear it. Because most people want to ride that wave all the way into shore.

I'll reserve all my judgment until the day we get eliminated from the playoffs.

Still don't think Rose and company can beat us 4 out of 7.

But I do miss Perk and really wish Krystic would develop some sort of understand as to what defense is and how to play it.
And as far as not making the conference finals... get real. We almost did it two years ago without KG, I'd take KG, Rondo, PP, and Ray over Perk, Rondo, PP, and Ray anyday.

I'll reserve all my judgment until the day we get eliminated from the playoffs.

Still don't think Rose and company can beat us 4 out of 7.

But I do miss Perk and really wish Krystic would develop some sort of understand as to what defense is and how to play it.
And as far as not making the conference finals... get real. We almost did it two years ago without KG, I'd take KG, Rondo, PP, and Ray over Perk, Rondo, PP, and Ray anyday.

Back
Top Bottom