Official Boston Celtics Season Thread vol. Banner 18 or Bust

laugh.gif

Celtics got alot of FIREPOWER , Witty coaching and now WE need alot of GREAT HEALTH , Anyone Feel me on that?

the problem right now is the starters.... (young, athletic) teams get the jump on them in the second half of games and they have no energy to keep up....they're just getting old.

The Celts allowed 33 offensive boards combined in the Utah and Atlanta games. Luckily they still got the win against Utah. They fixed that problem lastnight against Indiana (only allowed 6), but their defense was just not what we're used to seeing from this Celtics squad.

I was really thinking we could win 68 games.. I don't think so anymore.

Need tix for the 76ers game on 11/25, the night before Thanksgiving.

someone please explain to me what is going on with the Celtics..

I mean The INDIANA PACERS beat us
smh.gif

on NT you can't make reporting public? you get banned for that?

We've been looking slow lately.

Need to get everyone refocused esp Sheed. He's been doing more harm then good

on NT you can't make reporting public? you get banned for that?

There's no need to announce that you're reporting someone. Half the time people are just causing problems themselves, as was the case in this thread.

I wonder if Paul Pierce still sees the Magic as poodles and the Celtics as rottweilers?
laugh.gif

Are they a step slower this year or is it just chemistry issues and a down part of the season? Nothing has changed from the beginning of the season. Wecan't judge the best teams until they've faced each other a handful of times. It's still too early.

Damn, took OT to beat the Knicks? Not a good look. We're missing way too many 3's *cough*sheed*cough*, and KG's knee definitely aint 100% . Idon't think age is as big of a factor as some people think. Just gotta knock down the open shots, and stay healthy.
ohwell.gif

Was a clutch shot by KG but this team really needs to tighten up and play sound basketball. We're struggling against way too many bum teams.

[h4]What's Wrong With The Celtics?[/h4]
Sheridan_Chris_35.jpg
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- I am not a Celtics fan, which put me in the minority Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden (where the loudest cheers were for, in order: Kevin Garnett's game-winning shot, Will Ferrell's appearance on the video board, the Knicks' gritty effort).

But all those folks cheering for Boston (there were so many of them they could have nicknamed MSG "The Greenhouse" instead of "The Mecca of Basketball") had to have walked away with as much frustration as enthusiasm after watching the Celtics squeak past the New York Knicks 107-105 in overtime.

The victory was a relief for the Celtics more than a cause for celebration, a win that excused them from having to explain why they've dropped so precipitously (losing three of four before this one) after looking like world-beaters through the first couple of weeks of the season.

We're now 14 games into the season, and there are at least five things that clearly should be of concern to Celtics Nation -- all of which were glaringly obvious Sunday.

Kevin Garnett is still hurting.

Midway through overtime with Boston ahead 105-103, the Celtics ran an out-of-bounds play with one second left on the shot clock on which they threw an alley-oop lob to Garnett at the rim. The play was executed perfectly, but Garnett couldn't get up high enough for the stuff -- something that has happened numerous times this season. On defense, the Knicks repeatedly isolated Al Harrington one-on-one on the perimeter against Garnett, and Harrington repeatedly got around him with ease. The game-winning shot at the end of overtime did get Garnett into double figures in the point column with 10, but he shot 4-for-15 overall.

Rasheed Wallace is playing horribly.

Sheed jacked up six shots Sunday, missing them all, went 0-for-3 from 3-point range and picked up his league-leading fifth technical foul. Coach Doc Rivers yanked him with 7:46 left in the fourth quarter and didn't re-insert him until 9.3 seconds remained in overtime. Wallace has now attempted 128 shots this season, an astounding 81 of which have come from behind the arc. He's shooting 36 percent overall, but just .271 from behind the arc, ranking him 183rd league-wide in 3-point accuracy. Only Trevor Ariza (99), Danny Granger (88), Peja Stojakovic (86), Danilo Gallinari (84) and Channing Frye (83) have attempted more.

• Rajon Rondo's flaws can be quite stark.

For instance, there was the time at the end of regulation, with the score tied at 98, when the Celtics came out of a timeout with 4.7 seconds left with a play drawn up to get the ball into Pierce's hands. But the Knicks blocked Pierce from getting open, and Rondo took the inbounds pass and stood absolutely still for nearly three full seconds before dribbling to the 3-point line and firing up a shot that appeared as though it would have been waved off (for leaving his hand too late) had it gone in. Rondo also made a change to his free throw-shooting routine that he declined to explain afterward, making a pronounced backward jerk with his right shoulder before releasing the ball. It worked on his first two FTs, but he missed four of his next six attempts. His FT percentage for the season is .333 (8-for-24).

• For a team with so many big guys, they sure don't rebound much.

Boston grabbed 11 offensive boards Sunday, which is actually 1.1 more than the Celtics had been averaging coming into this game, when they were ranked 29th, ahead of only the Cleveland Cavaliers. Boston also began the day ranked 24th in second-chance points; another stat that would be getting a lot more attention if the Celtics weren't ranked first in the NBA in field goal percentage and assists. Wallace has grabbed only 11 offensive boards all season, eight fewer than Shelden Williams and nine fewer than Rondo. (And if we take a broader look around, we can include Jon Brockman, Nathan Jawai, Damien Wilkins and Jonas Jerebko among the players with more total offensive rebounds than Wallace.)

Ray Allen is getting no respect.

Never mind that he bricked 5 of 6 3-point attempts, dropping his percentage from behind the arc to 30.3 percent. The refs dissed him even harder late in regulation when, with Boston ahead 98-96 and trying to run down the clock, Allen had the ball in the corner as a double-team came at him. With Wilson Chandler clearly grabbing his jersey to keep Allen from driving around him, Allen was called for an offensive foul. The Knicks then tied the game on the ensuing possession to help send the game to overtime.

• The players aren't listening to Doc Rivers.

OK, this one is a bit of a stretch, but it was true during the Celtics' final timeout of overtime when Rivers drew up a play. "I drew up the play, and Paul [Pierce] came to me and said 'Let's not run that play.' He said 'We were going to run that other play before, let's run [a different play] because if I can get the floor flat, I'm going to get to the basket or Kevin is going to get a shot,'" Rivers said. "Sometimes a coach is a good listener, and that time I was. Honestly, Paul called that. I had a completely different play."

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com...&page=celtics-091122

What I've seen from the C's this season, and yes I do watch most of their games on league pass or whenever their on national tv. They aren't a verygood defense team like they were 2 seasons when they won the chip. I know C's fans going to make the same tired EXCUSES just like the face of yourfranchise Paulina Pierce " does If KG was 100% healthy we would be better defensively". I even rememver reading quotes from Doc Rivers saying hewants this year to be a historical defense team like the 1985 Bears team. It just isn't going to happen even with 100% healthy KG. Teams around the leaguehave figured out how to beat Tom Thiboudo's defense. Second age is really showing and catching up with this current team from the big 3 (KG, Paulina, andJesus) to also the bench with Sheed.

Originally Posted by Notorious 858

[h4]What's Wrong With The Celtics?[/h4]
Sheridan_Chris_35.jpg
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- I am not a Celtics fan, which put me in the minority Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden (where the loudest cheers were for, in order: Kevin Garnett's game-winning shot, Will Ferrell's appearance on the video board, the Knicks' gritty effort).

But all those folks cheering for Boston (there were so many of them they could have nicknamed MSG "The Greenhouse" instead of "The Mecca of Basketball") had to have walked away with as much frustration as enthusiasm after watching the Celtics squeak past the New York Knicks 107-105 in overtime.

The victory was a relief for the Celtics more than a cause for celebration, a win that excused them from having to explain why they've dropped so precipitously (losing three of four before this one) after looking like world-beaters through the first couple of weeks of the season.

We're now 14 games into the season, and there are at least five things that clearly should be of concern to Celtics Nation -- all of which were glaringly obvious Sunday.

Kevin Garnett is still hurting.

Midway through overtime with Boston ahead 105-103, the Celtics ran an out-of-bounds play with one second left on the shot clock on which they threw an alley-oop lob to Garnett at the rim. The play was executed perfectly, but Garnett couldn't get up high enough for the stuff -- something that has happened numerous times this season. On defense, the Knicks repeatedly isolated Al Harrington one-on-one on the perimeter against Garnett, and Harrington repeatedly got around him with ease. The game-winning shot at the end of overtime did get Garnett into double figures in the point column with 10, but he shot 4-for-15 overall.

Rasheed Wallace is playing horribly.

Sheed jacked up six shots Sunday, missing them all, went 0-for-3 from 3-point range and picked up his league-leading fifth technical foul. Coach Doc Rivers yanked him with 7:46 left in the fourth quarter and didn't re-insert him until 9.3 seconds remained in overtime. Wallace has now attempted 128 shots this season, an astounding 81 of which have come from behind the arc. He's shooting 36 percent overall, but just .271 from behind the arc, ranking him 183rd league-wide in 3-point accuracy. Only Trevor Ariza (99), Danny Granger (88), Peja Stojakovic (86), Danilo Gallinari (84) and Channing Frye (83) have attempted more.

• Rajon Rondo's flaws can be quite stark.

For instance, there was the time at the end of regulation, with the score tied at 98, when the Celtics came out of a timeout with 4.7 seconds left with a play drawn up to get the ball into Pierce's hands. But the Knicks blocked Pierce from getting open, and Rondo took the inbounds pass and stood absolutely still for nearly three full seconds before dribbling to the 3-point line and firing up a shot that appeared as though it would have been waved off (for leaving his hand too late) had it gone in. Rondo also made a change to his free throw-shooting routine that he declined to explain afterward, making a pronounced backward jerk with his right shoulder before releasing the ball. It worked on his first two FTs, but he missed four of his next six attempts. His FT percentage for the season is .333 (8-for-24).

• For a team with so many big guys, they sure don't rebound much.

Boston grabbed 11 offensive boards Sunday, which is actually 1.1 more than the Celtics had been averaging coming into this game, when they were ranked 29th, ahead of only the Cleveland Cavaliers. Boston also began the day ranked 24th in second-chance points; another stat that would be getting a lot more attention if the Celtics weren't ranked first in the NBA in field goal percentage and assists. Wallace has grabbed only 11 offensive boards all season, eight fewer than Shelden Williams and nine fewer than Rondo. (And if we take a broader look around, we can include Jon Brockman, Nathan Jawai, Damien Wilkins and Jonas Jerebko among the players with more total offensive rebounds than Wallace.)

Ray Allen is getting no respect.

Never mind that he bricked 5 of 6 3-point attempts, dropping his percentage from behind the arc to 30.3 percent. The refs dissed him even harder late in regulation when, with Boston ahead 98-96 and trying to run down the clock, Allen had the ball in the corner as a double-team came at him. With Wilson Chandler clearly grabbing his jersey to keep Allen from driving around him, Allen was called for an offensive foul. The Knicks then tied the game on the ensuing possession to help send the game to overtime.

• The players aren't listening to Doc Rivers.

OK, this one is a bit of a stretch, but it was true during the Celtics' final timeout of overtime when Rivers drew up a play. "I drew up the play, and Paul [Pierce] came to me and said 'Let's not run that play.' He said 'We were going to run that other play before, let's run [a different play] because if I can get the floor flat, I'm going to get to the basket or Kevin is going to get a shot,'" Rivers said. "Sometimes a coach is a good listener, and that time I was. Honestly, Paul called that. I had a completely different play."
Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com...&page=celtics-091122

What I've seen from the C's this season, and yes I do watch most of their games on league pass or whenever their on national tv. They aren't a very good defense team like they were 2 seasons when they won the chip. I know C's fans going to make the same tired EXCUSES just like the face of your franchise Paulina Pierce " does If KG was 100% healthy we would be better defensively". I even rememver reading quotes from Doc Rivers saying he wants this year to be a historical defense team like the 1985 Bears team. It just isn't going to happen even with 100% healthy KG. Teams around the league have figured out how to beat Tom Thiboudo's defense. Second age is really showing and catching up with this current team from the big 3 (KG, Paulina, and Jesus) to also the bench with Sheed.

y'know, you make good points ans i agree with alot of them but then you start calling names like "paulina" kind of diminishes thingsfor you....seriously, it sounds like you want to have serious discussions and then you toss around name calling....

He doesn't make good points. Our defense is better statistically than they were in the championship season. Number 1 defense in the league.

Teams around the league have figured out how to beat Tom Thiboudo's defense
you don't 'figure out' good NBA defenses..they are not that schematically driven. If they were people would have figured outthe Spurs long ago.

now Rondo getting a new contract, KG not being himself, Ray and Paul getting older and Rasheed just not being all that good anymore...you can credit it that toit.

but being 'figured out'? not really.

Going to the game tommorow. Which bar is the cheapest for before and after the game? Will they give me a problem if my ID is out of state (I know in the Gardenthey will)

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, KG is still recovering from and injury he isn't washed up.... he's hurt

C's were/are in a little slump and are 11-4, is it really time to panic?

Sheed has been
sick.gif

No time to panic. C's are 14 games in and are 10-4. I'd rather the team come together around playoff time than fizzle out after a hot start. Samepeople who are giving the Magic 'best record' awards before the season is 1/4th over.

Marquis Daniels had surgery this morning to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb. No time table on his return.

This means more minutes for ray amd paul cuz they gotta bring the ball up. But also more TA which I like. It'll def be an interesting month or two to seehow they fare witout quisy.

Back
Top Bottom