***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

On one hand I see the issue with hip hop because of how influential this culture is on the kids, and it's kind of sick for a suburban dude who had it great going up to become a multi millionaire off of selling a poisonous image of being a thug to a bunch of impressionable hood kids.

But at the same time, it SHOULD only just be entertainment, no one is going to try to expose Marilyn Manson or Ozzy Osbourne if they walk into their house and they don't see bird heads and/or wine glasses filled with blood.

It's all entertainment at the end of the day. It's just that we let our kids be too influenced by it and don't do a good enough job of telling them that these are just entertainers and shouldn't be taken anymore serious than pro wrestler gimmicks or movies.

Last edited:
Yeah it can influence kids. If that kid doesn't have any guidance. If he doesn't have anybody in his life to teach him anything. The reason why so many black kids don't have that has NOTHING to do with gangsta rap. Hip Hop has giving so many of those kids the opportunity to express their pain. I've always said when it comes to the violent and drug dealer **** I take it as entertainment unless we know for a fact that this person did what they're saying and still all of these _'s lie and exaggerate. The Dear Mama's, Keep Your Head Up, songs like that is what I take serious. Songs that can help you get through **** or motivate you. Hip Hop was birthed from black peoples experiences and pain. From the dance songs to the gangsta ****.

A lot of white kids that listen to Hip Hop, listen to it then go back to leaving their privileged life. Black kids listen to it and go back to living at the bottom. That's the big difference. If you're privileged you're not gonna sell drugs and do crime. If you're at the bottom you're gonna do what you have to do to eat. It's way bigger than rap music.

Chief keef influence was bigger than any that I've seen since 50... dead srs. Dudes in my city started acting just like them Chicago dudes when he took off. They still do it too honestly.

Hoods all over the county related to Keef & the drill movement. Big influence for such a short lived movement.

Movement would still be moving but them Lil ****** dropped the ball. Son would be on top of the world right now if he wasn't high all the time.

this _ was waking up to bill withers tho 
laugh.gif

There was no guidance. Can't expect a 17 year old surrounded by yes men to make the best decisions.

To paraphrase NT (on so many occasions),

What does their background matter as long as "they look the part and the music is good"?
Really though, why does it matter?

I compare music and acting and I put them in the same vein from an entertainment perspective, and their potential impact on one's life. I don't care that Denzel Washington grew up in a middle class family if his portrayal of a homeless man from the gutter is A1 in a particular film.

Conversely, I could careless if what a rapper or an artist is saying, is 100% what his upbringing consist of. If the music is good, it's good. With Rap and Hip-Hop, we attach their personal lives with the music which to me has always been a fallacy, because we don't know these people. We didn't grow up with these people. But for some reason, (maybe the way Hip-Hop was incepted) we attach some form of "realness" to the artform, a form of credibility to the artform, if what the artist is saying, they lived. I personally don't agree with that, and try to keep an artist's real life and their music separate.

If they actually lived what they are saying, that's fine more power to them. But for me? I wasn't there, I don't know them and I don't care to know them or their background.

If a rapper who was poor portrayed to have grown up in a suburban upbringing that's one thing.

But everytime a rappers real ness is questioned they are peddling negativity in the form of drugs & violence in their music.

Really though, why does it matter?

I compare music and acting and I put them in the same vein from an entertainment perspective, and their potential impact on one's life. I don't care that Denzel Washington grew up in a middle class family if his portrayal of a homeless man from the gutter is A1 in a particular film.

Conversely, I could careless if what a rapper or an artist is saying, is 100% what his upbringing consist of. If the music is good, it's good. With Rap and Hip-Hop, we attach their personal lives with the music which to me has always been a fallacy, because we don't know these people. We didn't grow up with these people. But for some reason, (maybe the way Hip-Hop was incepted) we attach some form of "realness" to the artform, a form of credibility to the artform, if what the artist is saying, they lived. I personally don't agree with that, and try to keep an artist's real life and their music separate.

If they actually lived what they are saying, that's fine more power to them. But for me? I wasn't there, I don't know them and I don't care to know them or their background.

That's where the issue lays. hiphop was never started to be pure entertainment, there was always an aspect of realness from the get go. As it has gotten larger it's been peddled as a form of pop which is great for money, but as far as the culture goes it's slowly stripping things down as it goes. Now some people may say they don't care about that, Hence where people start to have a problem with how hiphop sounds today.

When the Migos had to shoot it out with some ****** on the road and when they got tried in DC, was that part of entertainment process as well?

When one of these ****** get killed in similar fashions to the things they rap about, is that also part of the entertainment process?

When GS9 got them football numbers and Bobby rapped about some of the street stories in their songs...was that entertainment too?

Is it entertainment when ****** have to "check in" to different cities or they might get tried?

What other forms of entertainment do these things happen?

Last edited:
Said it before and I'll say it again.

Music is art. If you find "entertainment" in that form of art, then that's you. If you're just in it for "entertainment", that's you.

Sports can be "entertainment". In reality it's athletic competition. That can entertain. But we know the difference between MMA and WWE.

It's clear and no one tries to hide anything. That's where the problem lies (pun intended) with a lot of these rappers.

Dudes is really getting ****** up for life playing football though.

If you like your music WWE style, cool. But not everyone does.

People find "entertainment" in dog fighting. That doesn't MAKE it entertainment. Because others damn sure do not.

Last edited:
The difference is, the music ain't good :rofl:

:lol: thank you! these dudes are delusional. The death of Big and Pac really destroyed "hip-hop"in the long term.
People forgot that besides Jay spitting that "street" music (from late 90's-05) the skill cap has been non-existent.
There is no replacement for his level of skill, and now your seeing the backlash for that. These kids grew up
listening to trash rap.

Last edited:
In the words of Harrison Barnes fan shoeking it's all subjective

:lol: thank you! these dudes are delusional. The death of Big and Pac really destroyed "hip-hop"in the long term.
People forgot that besides Jay spitting that "street" music (from late 90's-05) the skill cap has been non-existent.
There is no replacement for his level of skill, and now your seeing the backlash for that. These kids grew up
listening to trash rap.

I hate to see where it will be in ten years.

Humming and mumbling in melody is now acceptable.

And R&B is at an even worse state.

I hate to see where it will be in ten years.

Humming and mumbling in melody is now acceptable.

And R&B is at an even worse state.

You not really in tune with music in 2016 if you believe this.

Yea the colored dread ****** are terrible but there are a TON of young great artists just now starting to get their footing in the wider music industry landscape.

There's much more out there than the mainstream and what's feed to you by corporations/"tastemakers".

I'm on old head by NT standards and I don't rock with 95% of what's out these days but I don't know what to tell you if you think there aren't skilled rappers any more

Ten years huh? Well this song was made this year, and if you can get through 6+ minutes of this, you can make it through anything

Back
Top Bottom