Official CAR AUDIO Thread FAQ added

..does more watts always mean it will sound better and knock harder? i know depending on the brands and enclosures too but like for instance;
right now i have one 15" kicker cvr (500watts rms) in a sealed box, i plan on takin it out and puttin one 12" kicker cvx (750watts rms) (in a ported box). but would there be a major difference comparing the 15" and the 12"? smaller sub and 250watts rms more? or would it sound similar and not that much of a difference?

and if it matters; rite now i'm pushing the 15" kicker cvr with a fosgate p500-2. and the 12" kicker cvx i plan on using that kicker amp zx750.1
btw is that good to get amps that are rated the same or should the amp generally have more power than the sub?

oh and
Originally Posted by GFlower8

ifi had a sub that's 4 ohms, to get it down to 2 ohms i just have to wirethem parallel right? and the amp is a 2 channel amp so i just bridge it?
nerd.gif

Hey I have a lexus is300 and looking to connect my ipod to the stero. Would I get better sound quality playing song on my ipod from an OEM interface adapter such as GROM with my stock HU or would I be better off buying an afterarket HU such as an Alpine CDA-117

how should i set my gains, crossover freq and bass boost?

i got an 12 alpine type x and an 08 kicker zx 1000.1

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by kobe82410

how should i set my gains, crossover freq and bass boost?

i got an 12 alpine type x and an 09 kicker zx 1000.1
how much did u pay for that amp?

set the gains by ear

crossover should to be set to 80, bass boost should be off

go to the amp and turn the gain all the way down
go to ur headunit, turn the sub level all the way up
turn the hu volume to about 80%
then go back to the amp, and turn the gain up slowly until u hear a difference in sound..after that, turn the gain down just a bit.

can somone give a quick answer. is there much of a difference between 2 jl audio w7 13 inch and the 12 inch?

the 13 inch has 2 2500 watt amps and the 12 has 2 1500.

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

^and what about the subsonic filter, and the lowpass filter?
nerd.gif
low pass filter on a mono amp=crossover

sub sonic should be set to 3/4 of what the box is tuned to
if sealed, leave off

Originally Posted by airmaxplus

can somone give a quick answer. is there much of a difference between 2 jl audio w7 13 inch and the 12 inch?

what kind of question is this?

you really wanna compare 2 13.5 inch subs to 1 12? come on son
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

my bad i meant 2 x 12w7s. is there going to be much of a difference?

laugh.gif

not really

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

box is gonna be more of a factor here than woofer size or power

i have a question...why is it when i adjust the balance on my HU to the all the way to the right, my subwoofer doesnt work but it works when its at center and all the way left. always wondered why it did that. i mean i always keep it in the center anyway but i was wondering if there was a connection that is wrong or something.

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

laugh.gif

not really

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

box is gonna be more of a factor here than woofer size or power

even with the more powerful amps? i'm actually looking to buy their fathom home subs but theres no authorised dealer in the u.k

the amps are jl audio fitted to the fathom box so theres no risk of blowing them, just wanted some opinions on w7s from car audio heads as its there main use.

i think i didn't give enough info.

jl audio make home subs called fathoms, there basically w7s with jl amps fitted to a box that jl have designed. so esentially you buy a boxed sub with amp.

i just wanted to get an opinion on the difference between 2 w7 13s and 2 w7 12s.

heres a link to their site...

http://home.jlaudio.com/

Back
Top Bottom