OFFICIAL CHEF/COOKS THREAD... VOL I wish these pics were scratch and sniff.

Originally Posted by GesheOneLove10

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by djaward

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.

its been awhile, but high heat + liberal amounts of oil should do the trick. add oil to the pan, let it heat up, throw a steak on. let it sit until seared, flip. cook to desired doneness.

honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

hmm touche. i never understood how to use the oven when making a steak, so yeah basically i damn near deep fried them at first haha. after awhile i learned more and i stopped using a ton of oil, just enough to grease the pan. now i wish i had an oven to try this out...

Originally Posted by GesheOneLove10

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by djaward

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.

its been awhile, but high heat + liberal amounts of oil should do the trick. add oil to the pan, let it heat up, throw a steak on. let it sit until seared, flip. cook to desired doneness.

honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

hmm touche. i never understood how to use the oven when making a steak, so yeah basically i damn near deep fried them at first haha. after awhile i learned more and i stopped using a ton of oil, just enough to grease the pan. now i wish i had an oven to try this out...

Yup if you don't let your steak rest just throw it out
laugh.gif

Yo nt chefs or anyone who has a chef knife they love I need a chef knife. I'm going to ask the guys at work too but I'd appreciate your input too. I'm starting to piece together a set. I was thinking of either the global chef's knife or the MAC professional chefs knife. Both are get very good reviews and won't break the bank. Does anyone have either?

Yo nt chefs or anyone who has a chef knife they love I need a chef knife. I'm going to ask the guys at work too but I'd appreciate your input too. I'm starting to piece together a set. I was thinking of either the global chef's knife or the MAC professional chefs knife. Both are get very good reviews and won't break the bank. Does anyone have either?

yo can i just put any pan in the oven? my mom buys these cheap ones and i'm not sure if the plastic handle can take it. i should know this since i'm in culinary school but we use different pans at school.

and MPLSdunk, you should try going to a store and try holding the handles, that's what i usually look for when i'm looking at knives. i don't really like the handles on the global knives when i held one.

yo can i just put any pan in the oven? my mom buys these cheap ones and i'm not sure if the plastic handle can take it. i should know this since i'm in culinary school but we use different pans at school.

and MPLSdunk, you should try going to a store and try holding the handles, that's what i usually look for when i'm looking at knives. i don't really like the handles on the global knives when i held one.

Yea ill go do that. I don't really know alot of stores around here though cause everyone I know goes online. I'm just going to check out some of the cooks at work I think.

Yea ill go do that. I don't really know alot of stores around here though cause everyone I know goes online. I'm just going to check out some of the cooks at work I think.

held these the other day... I loved them

J.A._Henckels_J.A.-Henckels-Twin-Perfection-large_400x400_s.jpg

henckles twin profection

basically same shape as the 1731 professional knife

held these the other day... I loved them

J.A._Henckels_J.A.-Henckels-Twin-Perfection-large_400x400_s.jpg

henckles twin profection

basically same shape as the 1731 professional knife

Nice. I need to just demo some knives so I can figure it out. I have a general idea from knives I've used in the past but I am just going to try a bunch anyways. I don't know if I want Japanese or German style though. From what I've used I'm leaning toward Japanese.

Nice. I need to just demo some knives so I can figure it out. I have a general idea from knives I've used in the past but I am just going to try a bunch anyways. I don't know if I want Japanese or German style though. From what I've used I'm leaning toward Japanese.

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

roast chicken w/ honey hoisin sambal glaze

pasta w/ fresh & sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and an egg

ox tail & beef tendon braised in black bean sauce, w/daikon, carrots, etc.

Tri tip w/veg stir fried in black bean sauce

Chicken salad w/fuji apples

chicken pho

Osso bucco style stew w beef tendon, pork shank & ox tail

damb you know how to throw it down in the kitchen. yum!

Back
Top Bottom