[/h1][h1]Burning questions in Bulls vs. Hawks[/h1]
Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls | Comments

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_d.gif
textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif
textsize_plus_l.gif

rose-hawks.jpg

Finding the best matchup with Derrick Rose is key to Atlanta’s survival in this series. (Scott Cunningham/NBAE via Getty Images)

With their impressive six-game win over the Magic in the first round, the Hawks now face a very different team in the top-seeded Bulls. It’s a matchup that appears much less favorable for the Hawks. Here are some quick questions to ponder ahead of Game 1:

Who will guard Derrick Rose?

The natural answer is Kirk Hinrich, but he went down with a hamstring injury Thursday night against Orlando. Hinrich will have an MRI today, and if the results are bad enough to keep him out for much of this series — or limit his mobility — Atlanta is in serious trouble.

Here’s the difference between the Magic and Bulls: Chicago is an elite isolation team, and a huge percentage of those isolations start with Derrick Rose going outside-in. The Bulls rank second in points per possession on isolation plays, while the Magic, an inside-out isolation team, ranked just below the league average on those plays, according to the stat-tracking service Synergy Sports. In other words, the game plan the Hawks used to thwart Orlando does not apply here; Chicago’s perimeter players can break down defenses in ways Orlando’s could not. The Hawks cannot shut down Chicago’s offense by playing a defense-first behemoth on Joakim Noah, staying home on Chicago’s perimeter guys and watching the bricks fly.

Rose is the reason for that, and if Hinrich can’t guard him, the trickle-down effect could be devastating. Folks will suggest Atlanta turn to Joe Johnson, who could use his size and smarts to mirror what the bigger Paul George did to Rose in the first round. But Johnson, nearing 30, does not have George’s quickness, and chasing Rose around for 40 minutes a game is a lot to ask of your No. 1 offensive option.

That leaves Jamal Crawford (avert your eyes!) and perhaps Jeff Teague, who played just nine minutes total against Orlando. Hinrich was crucial in holding Rose to 14-of-45 shooting in the first two Atlanta-Chicago matchups this season; without him, Larry Drew may not have a workable plan on hand.

The Hawks are not a good offensive team, and they were awful against the Magic even in victory; Atlanta scored just a little more 100 points per 100 possessions in that series, a mark that trumped only those of Indiana and New York in the postseason and would have had the Hawks neck-and-neck for dead last in the regular season. Chicago’s defense is better than Orlando’s, and it will eat up the simplistic kind of isolation attack Atlanta ran against the Magic.

Atlanta can only hang in if it drags the Chicago offense — not exactly a scoring machine — down to its level. They do not appear as well-equipped to do that to the Bulls.

Who, exactly, do the Hawks play?

The Hawks started their normal lineup, with Al Horford at center, in two of their three games against Chicago, and they went to their big lineup (with Jason Collins starting) in one game only because Josh Smith was injured. Collins and Zaza Pachulia, so crucial against Orlando, logged just 84 minutes combined in those three games, and it’s not clear how useful either will be against a mobile energizer like Noah.

The good news for Atlanta is that the Josh Smith-Horford tandem is big enough to hang with the Carlos Boozer-Noah front-line duo, so Atlanta could slot Marvin Williams back into his starting slot at small forward and not compromise itself defensively. One potential drawback: Going this route for extended minutes might give Tom Thibodeau the option of having Boozer guard Smith and thus eliminate one of Boozer’s major defensive issues — his problems with pick-and-pop threats. Horford is an elite pick-and-pop guy; Smith is a guy you want shooting jumpers. On the flip side, sticking Noah on Horford will take Noah out of the paint when Horford pops to the perimeter.

It’s an interesting trade-off, especially when you consider Williams, a forgotten man against Orlando until he knocked down a series of big jumpers in Game 6, is probably Atlanta’s best option to guard Luol Deng.

Decisions, decisions.

Can Atlanta protect the glass?

To Drew’s credit, the Hawks transformed themselves into a much better defensive rebounding team this season, but that success did not translate against Chicago. The Bulls, one of the league’s best offensive rebounding clubs, destroyed Atlanta on the offensive glass in all three games between the teams this season, putting up an offensive rebounding rate in each one that would have led the league, according to Hoopdata.

The Hawks will have to do much better, and this issue dovetails in a way with general lineup issue outlined above.

Does Carlos Boozer know the playoffs started?

We addressed Boozer’s dispiriting recent play here, and you can bet Atlanta’s middling offense will target Boozer to scrap together some points here and there. He should be stout enough to hold up in the post against both Smith and Horford, but the problems will surface when Atlanta gets him moving — on dribble attacks by Smith and pick-and-pops featuring Horford.

Boozer will give up some points on defense, but he’s going to have to get them back for Chicago offensively — something he failed to do in shooting below 40 percent against the Pacers. Expect him to do better, or expect more minutes for Chicago’s fantastic bench defenders, especially Taj Gibson.

How will Atlanta handle the Bulls’ 2-guard rotation? 

Keith Bogans, at 6-foot-5, isn’t tall enough to guard the 6-8 Johnson. Ronnie Brewer brings an extra couple of inches, but Johnson should be able to back him down and get those mid-range looks he loves. The Bulls want no part of Kyle Korver on Johnson.

This is another area where Atlanta’s lineup choices come into play. If Williams logs a lot of minutes, Chicago might feel comfortable hiding its shooting guards on Williams so that Deng, a perfect matchup for Johnson, can take on Iso-Joe. Things get dicier if Smith gets time at small forward or if Atlanta can give heavy minutes to the Hinrich-Crawford-Johnson combination they often use to close games.

The Bulls have been closing playoff games with Korver at shooting guard, and they’d probably have to manage with him defending Hinrich if Atlanta does feature that three-guard set. That could be a problem; Chicago’s defense allowed 13 more points per 100 possessions against Atlanta this season with Korver on the court, according to NBA.com’s StatsCube database. Still, it remained pretty stingy even with Korver on the floor (it was insanely stingy with him on the pine), and its offense lit up the Hawks with Korver out there.

PREDICTION: This just looks like a bad matchup for Atlanta, a mediocre team that benefited from a unique matchup advantage against Orlando. The Hawks can’t pull that trick again, and they’ll struggle to score against Chicago unless they work a bit harder to generate good looks.  Bulls in five.

Originally Posted by jmause3

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

the waiting is killing me
2 more days
pimp.gif

Just read Booz didnt practice again today
eyes.gif

I hate having dreams about Bulls games several days before they actually play 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Last night had a dream Jo had 25 and 21 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't wait til monday night...

Jmause your avy got a kid ready to do somethin mean to a chick 
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by arstyle27

People hating on Derrick are starting to piss me off.

Really? Most people are just pointing out that 35%FG shooting sucks and if he weren't being gifted so many trips to the line, his stats would really suck balls. I remember game 4 of the Denver series, that other PG out west got ROASTED, for going 12-30 when end of the day, that is 40% and still higher than what Rose shot for his series, where the barely scraped by every game against easily the worst team in the playoffs and the media can't stop fellating him, hell you gotta take a #. Son was 4-22 and I watch ESPN show all 4 baskets and just make it seem like he was killing and I had to turn the tv off.

That shooting percentage is mostly affected by the two horrible games (1 game winner incl) in 3 & 4 in Indy.

THE ONLY STAT THAT MATTERS IN THE PLAYOFFS IS WINS/LOSSES-Bulls 4-1, 12 more to go!

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Originally Posted by arstyle27

People hating on Derrick are starting to piss me off.

Really? Most people are just pointing out that 35%FG shooting sucks and if he weren't being gifted so many trips to the line, his stats would really suck balls. I remember game 4 of the Denver series, that other PG out west got ROASTED, for going 12-30 when end of the day, that is 40% and still higher than what Rose shot for his series, where the barely scraped by every game against easily the worst team in the playoffs and the media can't stop fellating him, hell you gotta take a #. Son was 4-22 and I watch ESPN show all 4 baskets and just make it seem like he was killing and I had to turn the tv off.
Blah blah blah. You dont know #%!+ about my team.

I got Bulls winning in 6 but can I ask do Bulls fans have any faith Booz will show up big in this series?

Originally Posted by HOOD17

I got Bulls winning in 6 but can I ask do Bulls fans have any faith Booz will show up big in this series?

Congrats to Thibs
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But i dont even know what to expect from Booz anymore.  I think this is a better matchup for him to do something offensively, but he has to stop the dumb fouls

Rose MVP
pimp.gif

Coach of The Year for Thibs
pimp.gif

i kind of think everyone doesn't care if Carlos shows up or not we are gonna find a way to win regardless....

I hope he does, but at this point I'm not sure what to expect.  If he can get his mojo back especially scoring from the post, it'll definitely be a plus.  It seems like a mental/confidence thing for him at this point.

I've always wonder why did they not let Taj become the starting power forward going forward? I would love to take the risk on him more than any pf that was a free agent. He may not be a great post scorer but you know what your going to get. Just my thoughts. 

@$++ the Drose haters...@$++ the Chicago Bulls haters as well....

I could care less what people think about a team that's achieving great success at a high level this year. They don't like us, oh well so be it.

Were still going out to compete hard every game.

We still have the MVP of the league and one of the must humble sports stars in ANY sport around.

Still have a coach thats going to hold us accountable for our mistakes and expect us to go all out every game.

Led by a player who is going to give it his all when it's crunch time and accept the load of blame if we lose a game.

Still a contender.

Still the %%$+@#%*%!*@@ Chicago Bulls.

I've always wonder why did they not let Taj become the starting power forward going forward? I would love to take the risk on him more than any pf that was a free agent. He may not be a great post scorer but you know what your going to get. Just my thoughts. 
Well, I think there are several factors involved.  Prior to the all-star break Booz was averaging 20 and 10.  After the break, he had a sprained left ankle and his numbers started dipping a little bit.  Then he sprained his left ankle again late in the season and now the turf toe coincided with his numbers free-falling.  Some local writers speculate that being out so many games early in the season may be affecting his overall play now.   

Even so, Indiana still sent a quick double to Booz in the last series though maybe not as frequent as they did in the earlier games.  This is the prime reason that Taj will not start, even going forward.  Not to mention, the organization probably thinks that it's not ideal to bench your prized free agent acquisition in the middle of a possibly deep playoff run.  Plus Thibs is pretty damned stubborn when it comes to his rotation as evidenced by Bogans still starting.  If Booz can't get it going early in this series, he'll remain the starter but you'll see Taj rotate in earlier for him.  Even if Booz completely tanks it this series and the Bulls advance, I still don't think Taj would start. 

Damn, from of the looks of game 1, we will be in south beach for the ECF. That's cool though as the majority of my bets are bulls vs heat...

conrats Thibs, well deserved

HI HATERS
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

That shooting percentage is mostly affected by the two horrible games (1 game winner incl) in 3 & 4 in Indy.

THE ONLY STAT THAT MATTERS IN THE PLAYOFFS IS WINS/LOSSES-Bulls 4-1, 12 more to go!
Only reason why Drose's fg has been down is cuz they played good defense on him. If anything Bulls fans should be happy that we can win games without scoring through derrick. Indy doubled up on Rose and made sure he never got an easy shot in 3+4 but that doesnt mean he couldnt find a way to score 12/15 from the line? and like 3 3's in game 4? How are you gonna say hes got a weak FG% but still is able to lead all scorers in every game. 
I feel like people are hatin cuz Bullies are the 1st seed. Expect NT adversity to be strong with this one. 

Back
Top Bottom