Official Chicago Bulls Offseason Thread

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Damn I come back from getting my !%# kicked in my first game to see the Bulls doing the same thing the Warriors.

It's more than the shoesRose's electric play and humble demeanor making him a budding endorsement starEmail Print Comments7 By Jon Greenberg
ESPNChicago.com
Archive
CHICAGO -- Some years into a Nike partnership that turned him into the most famous athlete in the world, Michael Jordan mused about the effects of his commercial success.

"What Phil (Knight) and Nike have done," he once said, "is turn me into a dream."

A dream for some, a hero for others, and a measuring stick for commercial success for every athlete who followed him.

[+] EnlargeGary Dineen/NBAE/Getty Images
Derrick Rose has had a lot to smile about early in the season, averaging almost 24 points and nine assists in six games.Everyone, from inner city ballers to suburban bar mitzvahs boys to pygmies, Eskimos and bedouins, wanted to be like Mike, and those images, be they from Nike or Gatorade, crystallized Jordan as the ideal.

Derrick Rose grew up in the shadow of Michael Jordan's Chicago, a talented kid on the South Side far removed from the luxury suites of the United Center, the near North Side steakhouses and Jordan's suburban mansion.

Now, thanks to a crossover that makes grown men weep, an indefensible first step and more than enough Air, Rose finds himself as Jordan's heir. Rose would dispute that, and he's six championships and a decade of pinch-yourself moments shy of Jordan's legacy.

But as far as basketball goes, this is Rose's Chicago now, whether he realizes it or not.

He's the one driving $110,000 cars, living nice in the suburbs and headlining 41 shows a year at the United Center (not counting playoffs). While fans fretted about adding LeBron James or Dwyane Wade, it was clear Rose was developing into a star in his own right. Through the first six games of this season, he was averaging almost 24 points and nine assists.

But Derrick Rose isn't a dream. Not yet. But soon. And while he's been earning his reputation on the court these past two seasons, we're seeing the birth of Rose as commercial icon.

Rose's debut shoe, the adiZero Rose, just came out, shortly after his commercial campaign hit the airwaves. And if you think shoes and commercials don't matter, you're reading too much Naomi Klein and not enough Twitter and Facebook.

Rose, despite the talent and the tats and the high profile, is no attention hound. He's polite, soft-spoken and well, nice.

But he wants to be the guy on TV, because he wants to be the best. At the team's media day this fall, he said his goal is to be MVP of the league. And no one gets to that level without some pub.

"You can't hide it if you want to be the best," Rose told me recently. "You're going to get offers where people are going to need you to do things, commercials and things like that. But I look at myself as a hooper first, where I'm a basketball player and all the other things fall behind that. I'm not getting mixed up, and I know what got me to where I am right now."

It's that kind of authenticity that adidas is selling, and why they are so passionate about their young star. But while adidas is presenting Rose's speed as his main selling point, it's interesting to note how patient the shoe company was at marketing him.

You can't hide it if you want to be the best. You're going to get offers where people are going to need you to do things, commercials and things like that. But I look at myself as a hooper first, where I'm a basketball player and all the other things fall behind that.

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Rose averaging 24 and 10 right?
pimp.gif

Noah first game without a double double, what happened?

luol cleaning up the boards with 11 
Taj w/ 7

Keith 5

Pooh 3

Omer 5

It was a balanced effort 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Straight up murked us 
sick.gif
Congrats on the win, your players looked sharp. GL to your team (except against us) this season.

I'm just now watching the game...AND IM LOVING IT!

we already have good ball movement and good transition play, just wait to Boozer starts playing and giving us that low post option when the shots aren't falling!

Rose Vs. Wall

DRose needs to start playing D more physically, I would love to see him just smother Wall and shut him down.
Unfortunately Rose always plays like 8 feet away and is not too quick to switch on the pick and rolls.

that zone is really taking us out of our game early. Rose has to stop settling and shooting so much (1 for
glasses.gif
. This is what we paid Korver for

Brewer is starting to grow on me.

C'mon Kyle i love the hustle but you know better than going up with McGhee
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom