Official DESIIGNER thread VOL. New English mixtape out

I never understood the whole "(insert rapper) destroyed new york hip hop" either. Lets not act like everyone in new york was selling millions of records and holding hands until 50 cent came along.

Anyone who still thinks a region is "running rap" right now needs to come from under a rock and realize the internet changed how we look at these things. The most popular rapper in the world right now is from Canada. J Cole is from NC but has not an ounce of the southern sound in his style and hes been in nyc for 10 years now. Nikki is from nyc. Kanye is from the chi. Kendrick is from la. So that says the top rappers are from all over the place. Besides Future, who from the south is making that much noise right now? And even he still hasnt entered that elite tier yet where he sell a million records. Hes knocking on the door tho. Young Thug has alot of fan fare but it hasnt translated to commercial success yet.

Dudes like Dolph, Gotti, etc. Have cult followings and can tour at small venues all across the country but those are hardly the type of artists you bring up when you say "the south is running things".

Rap is global now. The internet is why you can have a guy from brooklyn sound like hes from atlanta and vice versa. Everyone is plugged into the same network. All that region to region city to city **** is dead.

Wasn't saying that any one region runs rap (although if you had to pick, it would be the South, because everyone is tryna sound like their from there).

I was saying that the South consistently has been at the top of the hip hop totem pole for 20 years while other regions have went through dry spells.

As far as Jay and 50, they went out of their way to use their power to keep other ****** from their city down. Dusty *** hating *** ******. :lol:. 40/40 still don't play Dipset records to this day.

Jeezy isn't gonna not do his job when it comes to dealing with Ross now that he's in the offices at Atlantic.

This is a really great post.

Future stans are another level of annoying tbh. According to them "Codeine Crazy" is the greatest song ever created but is the most blatant rip off to Lil Wayne's "Me and My Drank" but they won't even say the songs are comparable.

....because they sound nothing alike.

Y'all on some "black people look the same" type **** with first Young Dolph sounds like Tity and now Me and My Drank sounds like Codeine Crazy

BUT WHAT ELSE CAN WE EXPECT FROM A NEW YORKER YOUR HEAD HURTS YALL ****** THINK **** LIKE THIS IS OKAY

50Cent.jpg

"IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A JORDAN HAT"

Last edited:
This is a really great post.

Future stans are another level of annoying tbh. According to them "Codeine Crazy" is the greatest song ever created but is the most blatant rip off to Lil Wayne's "Me and My Drank" but they won't even say the songs are comparable.

Cmon man. You the homie...but you reaching. Only similarity is they are rapping about lean in drugged out voices. That's literally it. That's like saying all weed songs sound the same. You can't tell me that this:

And this

Sound remotely similar :lol:. Cmon man. I just think dudes in NY have a hard time differentiating southern music for some reason. This is how we get the Dolph & 2 Chainz are the same people comparisons. Maybe I hear it different because we came up listening to a lot of southern sht in Baltimore. Shruggs

And to call it a "blatant rip" is way OD. Cmon man.

Last edited:
I never understood the J-Cole isn't "Southern" thing. Just cuz the ***** doesn't have a country accent...and rap over trap beats doesn't mean he's not southern. Cole has his own sound...but he heavily reps the south. My ***** Cole literally made a song called "Bun B for President" shouting out the south :lol:.

Drake, and Nicki all went to a southern label to get poppin. Nicki first with Gucci..then Cash Money. Half of Drake's sound is heavily Houston influenced. This ***** even throws a Houston Appreciation Weekend :lol:. Kendrick and them west coast ***** have their own sound though. That's why the mustard sht was so refreshing until it got whored out. Every region has contributed a new sound to hip hop within this past decade....except NY. And I actually hope NYC can get back and have a real artist to champion. But y'all rather champion Desiigner than Dave East :smh:.

The most popular rappers right now are Drake, Cole, Kendrick & Future. 2 of those dudes are from the south...one of them from the West....and the other a southern rap music Stan.

And there's nothing at all wrong with expirmenting and being influenced by other regions etc. But the kind of biting sht Desiigner and the fake Young Thug dude from New Orleans are doing to "get on" is unnaceptable. Even makes Travi$$ Scott and Lil Uzi look original. And then dudes bite hard.

Your playing a game of connect the dots to discredit NYC artist who are "relevant" or the influence the city has on rap juggernauts who aren't from the city (Cole and to a lesser extent Kendrick) we can honestly do the same thing on a greater scale to discredit southern rappers and take credit for their success. (Wayne, TI, Jeezy) NYC ain't show this much hate when Gucci dropped "it's Gucci time" :lol:

Last edited:
I never understood the J-Cole isn't "Southern" thing. Just cuz the ***** doesn't have a country accent...and rap over trap beats doesn't mean he's not southern. Cole has his own sound...but he heavily reps the south. My ***** Cole literally made a song called "Bun B for President" shouting out the south :lol:.

Drake, and Nicki all went to a southern label to get poppin. Nicki first with Gucci..then Cash Money. Half of Drake's sound is heavily Houston influenced. This ***** even throws a Houston Appreciation Weekend :lol:. Kendrick and them west coast ***** have their own sound though. That's why the mustard sht was so refreshing until it got whored out. Every region has contributed a new sound to hip hop within this past decade....except NY. And I actually hope NYC can get back and have a real artist to champion. But y'all rather champion Desiigner than Dave East :smh:.

The most popular rappers right now are Drake, Cole, Kendrick & Future. 2 of those dudes are from the south...one of them from the West....and the other a southern rap music Stan.

And there's nothing at all wrong with expirmenting and being influenced by other regions etc. But the kind of biting sht Desiigner and the fake Young Thug dude from New Orleans are doing to "get on" is unnaceptable. Even makes Travi$$ Scott and Lil Uzi look original. And then dudes bite hard.

Because hes been in nyc for 10+ years and thats where he got into the business. Yes...biologically hes from the south but musically? No.

Thats like someone saying dj premier is one of the greatest producers from the south

Last edited:
Cmon man. You the homie...but you reaching. Only similarity is they are rapping about lean in drugged out voices. That's literally it. That's like saying all weed songs sound the same. You can't tell me that this:

And this

Sound remotely similar :lol:. Cmon man. I just think dudes in NY have a hard time differentiating southern music for some reason. This is how we get the Dolph & 2 Chainz are the same people comparisons. Maybe I hear it different because we came up listening to a lot of southern sht in Baltimore. Shruggs

I've told you before wavy :lol: Don't even try to put me in box like these "other dudes" you speak of. I've actually lived in Atlanta my mom's has been there for more than half of my life :lol: don't talk to me about no damn bmore I actually got "broads in atlanta"

Last edited:
Because hes been in nyc for 10+ years and thats where he got into the business. Yes...biologically hes from the south but musically? No.

Thats like someone saying dj premier is one of the greatedt producers from the south

This i agree with. Hell i forget Premier from Texas most of the time lol

Thats like someone saying dj premier is one of the greatest producers from the south

"CAROLINA SAVIOR"

"FAYETTENAM *****"

A ***** don't gotta rap over Mike Will beats to be from the South

Cole don't ever shout out New York

Wasn't saying that any one region runs rap (although if you had to pick, it would be the South, because everyone is tryna sound like their from there).

I was saying that the South consistently has been at the top of the hip hop totem pole for 20 years while other regions have went through dry spells.

As far as Jay and 50, they went out of their way to use their power to keep other ****** from their city down. Dusty *** hating *** ******. :lol:. 40/40 still don't play Dipset records to this day.

Jeezy isn't gonna not do his job when it comes to dealing with Ross now that he's in the offices at Atlantic.

But what is that totem pole? What measurables are you using to justify this? Sales? Following? Like what tangible thing can you point to and say "this is why theyre at the top".

Again...jay not playing dipset at 40 40 and 50 cent dissing a handful of ****** has ZERO to do with why nyc doesnt have a ton of popular rappers commerically right now. The late 80s and early 90s had boroughs going at it with each other and that was before the "golden era".

And rick ross is with epic

Who ever said Cole wasn't proud of where he was raised ? **** don't have nothing to do with his influence and how he raps. Dude is 30 plus years old and has spent his whole rap career living in NYC. If u can't hear it is his music your just hating at this point.

I've told you before wavy :lol: Don't even try to put me in box like these "other dudes" you speak of. I've actually lived in Atlanta my mom's has been there for more than half of my life :lol: don't talk to me about no damn bmore I actually got "broads in atlanta"

Then idk how in the world you think Codeine Crazy is a blatant rip off of that trash Wayne put out :lol:.

Codeine Crazy is a dope song. ***** can't front on it.

I can't even argue the premier sht. That ***** from NYC to me :lol:. I don't wanna hear otherwise.

But with Cole, I don't get that feeling of sound. Just seems like he has his own sound...and reps the south.

"CAROLINA SAVIOR"

"FAYETTENAM *****"

A ***** don't gotta rap over Mike Will beats to be from the South

Cole don't ever shout out New York

So by that logic...desiigner, asap, uzi, etc dont have to rap over typical east coast beats to be from their respective cities right? Because on this very page someone mentions that the south is the main region where other rappers are pulling Sounds from.

So from a sonic perspective...what exactly is j cole pulling from the south? Let me know cause i dont hear it.

If you didnt know anything about him and heard one of songs...you wouldnt think he was a southern artist the same way if you heard asap and didnt know anything about him you may assume hes from houston.

Last edited:
ASAP got like the hardest NY accent. You'd know he's from there :lol:. But like I said earlier, There's absolutely nothing wrong with pulling sounds from other regions at all. It's what makes hip hop fun.

I'm just not for this overt biting sht. Could care less where your from.

I never understood the J-Cole isn't "Southern" thing. Just cuz the ***** doesn't have a country accent...and rap over trap beats doesn't mean he's not southern. Cole has his own sound...but he heavily reps the south. My ***** Cole literally made a song called "Bun B for President" shouting out the south
laugh.gif

Drake, and Nicki all went to a southern label to get poppin. Nicki first with Gucci..then Cash Money. Half of Drake's sound is heavily Houston influenced. This ***** even throws a Houston Appreciation Weekend
laugh.gif
. Kendrick and them west coast ***** have their own sound though. That's why the mustard sht was so refreshing until it got whored out. Every region has contributed a new sound to hip hop within this past decade....except NY. And I actually hope NYC can get back and have a real artist to champion. But y'all rather champion Desiigner than Dave East
mean.gif

^ 1) Dave East is that guy. 2) Please don't blanket my state and say we all champion Desiigner. I've told at least 7 people this past week that he's from Brooklyn, and they don't believe it, nor want to. Thanks.

Dave East cool but i really dont see what seperates him from other NY street rappers to the point where hes getting noticed the way he is. Id take alot of other NY rappers over him & i aint talkin bout old dudes either

Last edited:
While he's at it, Future should just make a Slime Season 4 and remove that trash bag Young Thug completely from the paint

Someone is already trying to do that currently...

Someone is already trying to do that currently...

Yup. And we've slandered him as well. Song just hasn't blown up yet. It actually might be worse than Panda :lol:

Wait...is that that dude Lil Uzi Squirt or something? I

Cole does have a NY influence.

ASAP Mob are HEAVY influenced by 3-6 and Houston.

Kendrick/TDE/YG/Nipsey got that own style/sound.

Drake and Nicki might as well be southern artist. They got put on by southern crews. Drakes whole sound is a simp version of the Houston sound and 90's r&b. I still don't get how folks in New York let Gucci and Wayne snatch Nicki. She had star written all over her.

And yes, the south is running **** now. West coast right behind them, NY somewhere breathing heavy in the back. It is what it is. I'll say again... They just had to take Max and Stacks from us. SMFH. They were the last REAL talented dudes from NY.

Last edited:
Can someone define what running rap means in 2016?

There are literally less than 10 artists that are seeing big commercial success like the stars of yesteryears. And we've already established that the list isnt dominated by southern artists.

So please inform me...what is running rap...and who are these southen artists that are running it

Last edited:
....because they sound nothing alike.

Y'all on some "black people look the same" type **** with first Young Dolph sounds like Tity and now Me and My Drank sounds like Codeine Crazy

BUT WHAT ELSE CAN WE EXPECT FROM A NEW YORKER YOUR HEAD HURTS YALL ****** THINK **** LIKE THIS IS OKAY

50Cent.jpg

"IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A JORDAN HAT"
What is that jolo

If the south has been "running the game for 20" years like some of you say and some kids in their 20's who just started rapping have southern influence why are yall *****ing about it ? These kids grew up on Lil John and the Eastside boys instead of Mobb Deep

once again CUT THE **** and the double standards, We know Cole is from the south EVERYTHING from his voice to flows to beat selection is heavily NY inspired, the ***** has an ODE to NYC on Born Sinner... If ****** are gonna condemn rocky for being influenced by the south (Meanwhile the video for Peso is 100% Harlem) then cole is CLEARLY influenced by NYC rap culture.

The biggest southern rapper to date, didn't get anointed The best rapper alive until after he ran with dipset for years and switched his entire style up. It's ridiculous what ya'll dudes wanna give credence to and then ignore other instances.

And also who the **** is championing desiigner ?, ya'll dudes are acting as if NYC can't promote more than one artist at a time.

Also since dudes wanna continue to bring it up, i have been around several people who aren't into trap music like that... when preach came on i've literally had women ask me if that was 2 chainz, ya'll ****** gotta realize that everyone isn't listening to catalogs of these rappers.

Last edited:
I dont even listen to Dolph but dude dont sound **** like 2 Chainz then again ive had a friend confuse Boldy James for 2 Chainz :x so i wouldn't put it past ppl to be that dumb & deaf. Casual music fans say dumb **** all the time

Back
Top Bottom