Official Fall/Winter 2016/17 Boot Thread...Fall is creepin up

:lol:

They're pretty nice. They're oiled deep as hell. Few darker spots on them appear to just be from being in the box. Minor shotty stitching on the inside welt of the one toe but overall satisfied.

I'm going to have to do some reading on leather care for these. I need a leather brush, correct? Recommendations? And then red wing oil or mink oil? I know oiling won't be necessary for awhile.
I bought the redwing care kit when I got my first pair. Comes with horsehair brush oil and conditioner. It's like $30-40

Hey y'all, got a few of questions.

I've got a pair of black Moc RW's that I've had for a few of years now and with the past few wears they have been getting a sorta "ashy" look to them along creased areas. Is this just a sign of the leather drying out?

I've been applying the RW leather conditioner and still get the same look after a wear or two. Could this just be cause sometimes I break them out in the rain or snow? Should I just get a pair of boots made for the rain or snow? If so, any specific recommendations? 

Finally, what's the sizing like on Iron Rangers? 

Sorry for all the questions y'all. 

I use the same conditioner and it leaves some residue as well. I think I didn't rub it into the leather enough or that's just the way it dries. Use a wet cloth to wipe it off and maybe brush it.

You use the black color conditioner or the neutral color one?

Last edited:
I use the same conditioner and it leaves some residue as well. I think I didn't rub it into the leather enough or that's just the way it dries. Use a wet cloth to wipe it off and maybe brush it.

You use the black color conditioner or the neutral color one?
Will do. 

I use the neutral one.

new p/u

super comfy cant wait to stomp thru the woods w/ my dog in these :pimp:

Thoughts? I quite like them. It seems like Marshalls is getting a good run of these Timberland Boot Company boots.

Wore my new roughnecks and they killed my heel. I do a lot of walking at work so that didn't help. I re-tied them halfway through the day and it seems they aren't that bad if they're loose, but I prefer to have my boots tied pretty snug. I have them on again today, tied loose again. Assuming they just need to be broken in more?

Wore my new roughnecks and they killed my heel. I do a lot of walking at work so that didn't help. I re-tied them halfway through the day and it seems they aren't that bad if they're loose, but I prefer to have my boots tied pretty snug. I have them on again today, tied loose again. Assuming they just need to be broken in more?

You assumed right. I think.

They have the same leather as the 1907 (I believe) and I had the same problem.

It is just a brutal break-in man :lol:

How do they fit across the toe?

Mister Meaner Mister Meaner

Not to derail the thread but info on Vans? :nerd:

Disney Sk8 Hi, I believe from last year

I love my timberland boot company pairs. If I come across those sub $100 I'd probably grab them.

I put them down since they were closer to $200. I'll keep an eye out though since Marshalls tends to put stuff on clearance quick. They were easy enough to try on, but a ***** to get off without a horn.

How many wears till you guys do maintenance on your boots? And what kind of maintenance do you guys do.

I've been wearing the hell out of my 1000 miles for the past 3 weeks and they are already starting to look kind of beat. Typical? Also is the break in time long because they do hurt my feet some days.

How many wears till you guys do maintenance on your boots? And what kind of maintenance do you guys do.

I've been wearing the hell out of my 1000 miles for the past 3 weeks and they are already starting to look kind of beat. Typical? Also is the break in time long because they do hurt my feet some days.

Are you the one who ordered the black joints from Nordstrom Rack?

If so, those are gonna take longer to break in because of the hard leather. I am not sure how to care for them though. I am sure they have some sort of oil for that specific boot/color. I would suggest checking out their website and looking at YouTube videos etc.

That is how I learn.

With Red Wings I give it a solid 15 wears before I oil again. They are already sprayed for water resistance as well. Like has been mentioned before, when they start to look beat and dry that is when you probably should oil them. So maybe it is time. The oil also helps with the break in.

Here is a pic of my 1000 Miles after about 15 wears. I haven't done anything to these yet but they also are a softer leather.

Last edited:
For cleaning, just brush or wipe them with a cloth when you need to. For conditioning, I just do it maybe once a year or every 6 months.

I'm on my 2nd pair and they are worse off than that, trying to make it through one more winter :lol:

Right on! Going to push mine through another cold season as well. Fortunately we don't really have much of a winter in Texas so they won't endure anything too grueling.

I'll re-up in the spring or summer when boots usually go on sale. Must keep a fresh pair of these in the stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom