::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

As a Dutch person, I just watched the craziest match last night.
Hope you guys beat up Belgium, but on the other hand Bradley messed it up last time to Portugal.

I think I'm the only one here who likes penalty shootouts.

I love a shootout - but it does feel harsh. It doesn't really have anything to do with the better team.

I would rather they just played until someone scored - I get the arguments about players being tired leading to poor play and injuries - but it just seems a better measure to choose the winner.

I love a shootout - but it does feel harsh. It doesn't really have anything to do with the better team.

I would rather they just played until someone scored - I get the arguments about players being tired leading to poor play and injuries - but it just seems a better measure to choose the winner.
Exactly. Love watching it too, but still find unfair and it's more based on luck. The team that starts with it, most of the time has the advantage of winning.

Flip a coin..

PK is the best and honestly what else can you do. You play to a tie. They give you overtime and if that doesn't work, equal amount of PK to finish it all off.

You can't get much easier than that. Truthfully if they just did who scored first in OT you could waiting all day

Golden goals on extra time would make things more interesting. PKs are too emotionally draining :lol

Golden goals on extra time would make things more interesting. PKs are too emotionally draining
laugh.gif
Agreed

Yes, love them.

Ostensibly crude, but they're still the only logical way to end it really.

Also means teams tend to play more attacking in ET to avoid them... the main criticism of the Golden goal was that teams would just put emphasis on not conceding rather than scoring.

Cruelest thing ever if it's your team that loses of course, but if they win, the feeling of joy and relief after the nail biting tension of 10+ spot kicks is immeasurable...
Or so I've been told anyway... I'm English so I wouldn't know 
laugh.gif

frown.gif

I actually caught the Costa Rica keeper getting off the line as soon as it happened. I was surprised that the Greek player started mourning the miss right away instead of complaining to the ref. Too bad, because in this case it really looks like it made the difference between a save and a goal, and ultimately advacement or going fishing. It wasn't a terrible kick from the Greek player.

I don't think I remember where a player was asked to re-take a penalty in a shootout though, and I can barely remember it happening during a live game penalty.

I do think that Costa Rica was the right winner. Greece deserved to lose for not being able to score more than 1 goal in what, 50-60 minutes with being a man up.

Golden goals on extra time would make things more interesting. PKs are too emotionally draining
laugh.gif
Golden goal sounds great in theory, but there's a reason why they discarded this rule: Very few teams took the gamble to attack and go after a goal. They would just play with very low risks and just wait for the 2 x 15 mins to pass for the penalty shootout.

I think that they should increase the number of penalties from 5 to 7-8 before going into sudden death. 5 feels like a little too low a number where luck might play too big of a role.

On the other hand, Ozil, on Germany, has said he's not fasting because the game is too big

Last edited:
Neutral. I've enjoyed watching France so far, but I need a Nigeria win to get my bracket back on track lol.

How is it a better measure if it's from poor play and fatigue ?

Someone giving up a counter because they got no legs after 100+ minutes isn't fair or skill full.

And they have to play another game after that?

Not to mention PK make it as fair as possible.

It rewards the fitter team - it's still an athletic contest. That just feels better than a random kick at goal.

I actually caught the Costa Rica keeper getting off the line as soon as it happened. I was surprised that the Greek player started mourning the miss right away instead of complaining to the ref. Too bad, because in this case it really looks like it made the difference between a save and a goal, and ultimately advacement or going fishing. It wasn't a terrible kick from the Greek player.

I don't think I remember where a player was asked to re-take a penalty in a shootout though, and I can barely remember it happening during a live game penalty.

I do think that Costa Rica was the right winner. Greece deserved to lose for not being able to score more than 1 goal in what, 50-60 minutes with being a man up.
only time Ive seen a re-kick was last season. Arteta scored but there was an Arsenal player who crossed the 18 too early and then he bagged the second. Very uncommon.

It rewards the fitter team - it's still an athletic contest. That just feels better than a random kick at goal.

The level of playing significantly drops most of the time in ET. Plus if they keep you put the players in risk of getting hurt and that's not good for the sport.

Pk's are not just about luck, you also need skill. there is a saying in spanish that says " a missed pk is a badly taken pk. there is guys that are masters at taking pk's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom