::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

pimp.gif

One of those was bound to go in.. you don't get that many chances like that and keep getting denied.

Poor defending and discipline on that one.. tough.

Look I don't know anything about soccer but intuitively, long balls seem dumb, throwing into the penalty box seems dumb.

in basketball as an underdog you employ high risk strategies to try and beat favoured teams, in basketball that means pressing, going for steals ect

What does that equate to in soccer? Aggressive Slide tackling a lot?

Last edited:
in basketball as an underdog you employ high risk strategies to try and beat favoured teams, in basketball that means pressing, going for steals ect

no :lol

there is many formation strategies depending on the siuation.

full pressing from the start try to apply pressure to opponent and hopefully score the 1st goal and then start bus parking strategy full defense :smokin

Apparently ESPN analytics guys already figured this out. I was semi right about tackling.

Top factors for underdogs

Diving deeper into the group stage numbers, we can also figure out what kind of play is working best for underdogs in this tournament. Beyond overall team strength, four factors are boosting would-be Cinderellas in Brazil, according to our research.

• Tackles: Aggressive defense, as we have noted, is key to keeping a Goliath in check. So, not surprisingly, tackles are the most important defensive metric in any David's slingshot. With a tackle, you take possession of the ball away from your opponent without committing a foul; it's the equivalent of a basketball turnover, which has proved to be one of the largest factors involved in an upset in the college game. Nigeria is in the round of 16 because they upset Bosnia-Herzegovina 1-0, in a game the Super Eagles secured by making 21 tackles. Conversely, Chile maintained possession of the ball for 64 percent of their game against the Netherlands -- but still lost 2-0, largely because they had just four tackles and hardly disrupted the Dutch.

• Average shot distance: It seems obvious that the closer you take your shots, the more likely you are to score. But the power of a short average shot distance is so large it bears emphasis. The numbers say it doesn't matter much if a team makes a lot of short passes, like Germany, or fewer longer passes, like Algeria, just so long as its possessions terminate with shots inside of 20 yards from the opposing goal.

• Offsides: Draw an opponent offside and you gain possession and a free kick; the perfect recipe for stalling the momentum of a superior antagonist. A hidden but huge key to American success so far: The U.S. has been caught offside only three times in three games, versus 16 for its opponents.

• Home hemisphere: Teams from the Americas are having an unexpected level of success at this year's World Cup. Maybe it's the fans: South Americans are packing Brazil's stadiums, and seem to be rooting not only for their own home countries, but for neighboring nations that are underdogs against European teams. Or perhaps it's the jet lag: It's significantly easier on athletes to travel from north to south than from east to west. Or it could be the heat. Still, no matter the cause, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL squads are essentially playing with home-field advantage.

Please note: We are not claiming these are the only stats that matter to soccer teams. Possession in the attacking third, pass completion percentage, aerial duels won, yellow cards -- these all have their (significant) place in soccer analysis. But SPI incorporates, directly and indirectly, many such aspects of play. What we are isolating here are the qualities that have widened the gap between expectation and reality, predicted play and actual results.

Last edited:
When Nigeria was aggressive they had France on their backheels too. Pressing and going down that right wing caused heavy problems for the French. Unlucky Nigeria couldnt get a goal before Griezmann came in. IMO he was the difference maker.

When Nigeria was aggressive they had France on their backheels too. Pressing and going down that right wing caused heavy problems for the French. Unlucky Nigeria couldnt get a goal before Griezmann came in. IMO he was the difference maker.
Griezmann definitely injected energy out there.  I thought his pace and attack mindedness was a big factor.

US is going to win. 2-1

USA VS GAUCHOS in Quarters Saturday??? My body is ready :smoking :smoking :smokin

Dude.

If that were to happened it would be tough on me.

My wife was mad at me yesterday cuz i said i would root for Argentina if they met the US.
My parents became citizens in the early 90s so they are USA fans and have always rooted for the US even when theyve played Argentina and Guatemala, my mom especially. She dresses in red white and blue and puts out the flag every 4th of July.

It will just be me, my son, and brother rooting for Argentina then....assuming they both win tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom