::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

I've never seen Spain that sloppy with the ball. In 2010 and 2012, their passes almost never got intercepted by opponents, yet in the second half yesterday, it was routine for a Dutchman to pick off their passes. I understand that they're rusty and would've liked more time to gel, but yesterday was straight up embarrassing with the star power on that roster. Netherlands looked like Classic XI out there. :lol:  Xavi needs to hit up Wade for his deer antler spray before next game...
Possession and tiki-taka mean nothing when you're chasing down two goals or more. Espana's buildup play is aesthetically pleasing, but typically doesn't allow for quick goals when needed.

Ramos and Pique were not on the same page as a CB pairing.

ESPN is giving Casillas a major pass calling it rust or lack of play as the reason for his blunders. I know he's Spain's favorite son and I'm thankful for his plentiful years of service to RM, but he's declining rapidly. Casillas was the third best keeper in the Champions League Final.

Possession and tiki-taka mean nothing when you're chasing down two goals or more. Espana's buildup play is aesthetically pleasing, but typically doesn't allow for quick goals when needed.

Ramos and Pique were not on the same page as a CB pairing.

ESPN is giving Casillas a major pass calling it rust or lack of play as the reason for his blunders. I know he's Spain's favorite son and I'm thankful for his plentiful years of service to RM, but he's declining rapidly. Casillas was the third best keeper in the Champions League Final.
Good point, and I understand that, but just wondering, why can't they switch to a more fast-paced counterattacking game when they're down and need to score? It's not like they don't have the personnel to do it, as Torres, Silva, Diego Costa, etc. play that way for their clubs, and Iniesta has the athleticism to do it. I just don't get how they could be down 3-4 and still be tiki-taka-ing to death. 

Good point, and I understand that, but just wondering, why can't they switch to a more fast-paced counterattacking game when they're down and need to score? It's not like they don't have the personnel to do it, as Torres, Silva, Diego Costa, etc. play that way for their clubs, and Iniesta has the athleticism to do it. I just don't get how they could be down 3-4 and still be tiki-taka-ing to death. 
Married to a system, I suppose. Perhaps success was detrimental to Furia Roja. Tiki-taka and dominant possession brought Espana the 2010 World Cup and 2012 Euro. Not just victoriously but by baffling opponents with superior passing and intrusive runs in the heart of defense. Xavi, the anchor in midfield, is on the absolute tail-end of his prime and San Iker is clearly past his best days. Again, I don't like the rust and lack of play excuse. He's indecisive, lacks confidence, judgement off his line at the wrong times, and vulnerable in the air on set-pieces.

COLO COLO COLO

James Rodriguez
pimp.gif

FC Porto and Colombia = Lot's of Bro Hugs!!!
Herrera yesterday
pimp.gif

Married to a system, I suppose. Perhaps success was detrimental to Furia Roja. Tiki-taka and dominant possession brought Espana the 2010 World Cup and 2012 Euro. Not just victoriously but by baffling opponents with superior passing and intrusive runs in the heart of defense. Xavi, the anchor in midfield, is on the absolute tail-end of his prime and San Iker is clearly past his best days. Again, I don't like the rust and lack of play excuse. He's indecisive, lacks confidence, judgement off his line at the wrong times, and vulnerable in the air on set-pieces.
Right. I understand that goals 3, 4, 5 were clear mistakes on Casillas's part, but what about goal 1? He came off the line, but not far enough to challenge RvP's header and as a result was caught in dead man's land. Sorry for all the questions...
laugh.gif
 Didn't start watching soccer seriously until this past year.

This Uruguay vs Costa Rica :smokin

I saw Quintero didn't get action for Colombia? I hope he gets some on the next match.

Last edited:
I really hate the offside rule..

Also, this is probably the biggest sporting event in the world.. They really should have more refs

Back
Top Bottom