::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

so they base their own opinions off the opinions of others?.... seems legit :rolleyes

I dont think most just agree with whats fed to them...although many do.
There are very opinionated people on here that either agree or disagree with the status quo just like in any other sport.
That is why i like Radio shows like Jorge Ramos y su Banda cuz they let callers voice there opinion no matter how ludicrous they are. I dont follow individual players and teams year round but will read online articles and opinions when the season gets hot (year end and international tournaments)

only thing i don't get is how the casual fan knows so much about these teams and players? not like espn does a great job of reporting footie in the us.. this question is serious and to the casual fans.. how do you gain your info about teams/players ? really just curious no troll

ea_sport.gif
i am embarrassed to say...... But

Alonzo.gif

so they base their own opinions off the opinions of others?.... seems legit :rolleyes

The incorrect assumption you made was that this info is gathered from websites with "opinions".

You can easily learn about footy by reading soccer sites, espn fc, youtube, streaming games from all over the world, hell even wikipedia (a personal favorite when i want to learn about HISTORIES of certain teams).

The internet can give you pretty much all the info one needs to know about international footy, a luxury I didn't have in my youth as much of this info wasn't as accessible in the mid 90s.

C'mon son. You can't be that naive...

And for the record you asked how the casual gathers "INFO" not how the casual forms an opinion about teams/players.

Last edited:
:stoneface:

Just kidding man. Have fun
Don't worry, it probably won't happen. Portugal has had the same international problem for four years, lack of a sufficient lead striker. They can't score even when the back four keeps a clean sheet or holds the opponent to one goal. No easy task against an offensive juggernaut like Argentina. Di Maria's form encourages me for RM, but disheartens me for international play.

how is portugal going to face argentina though? they're not going to make it out of group play :nerd:

:lol: let me bolieve and dream, dammit
At least you're not practicing voodoo witchcraft like the "doctor" from Ghana. I'll be watching closely for Green and Chandler.

how is portugal going to face argentina though? they're not going to make it out of group play
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
let me bolieve and dream, dammit
At least you're not practicing voodoo witchcraft like the "doctor" from Ghana. I'll be watching closely for Green and Chandler.
I will be pissed if Green gets any meaningful minutes in the WC.... the kid ain't ready. 

Chandler, I hope shows out when he is given an opportunity.

The incorrect assumption you made was that this info is gathered from websites with "opinions".

You can easily learn about footy by reading soccer sites, espn fc, youtube, streaming games from all over the world, hell even wikipedia (a personal favorite when i want to learn about HISTORIES of certain teams).

The internet can give you pretty much all the info one needs to know about international footy, a luxury I didn't have in my youth as much of this info wasn't as accessible in the mid 90s.

C'mon son. You can't be that naive...

And for the record you asked how the casual gathers "INFO" not how the casual forms an opinion about teams/players.

wouldn't consider someone who streams games/ frequents sites as a casual fan.. additionally those sites (espnfc, etc) are composed of many writers opinions.. i believe i got my answer though thanks for chiming in for the casual fans

wouldn't consider someone who streams games/ frequents sites as a casual fan.. additionally those sites (espnfc, etc) are composed of many writers opinions.. i believe i got my answer though thanks for chiming in for the casual fans

I'm much more than a casual fan, but my first answer said it the best.

Because the internet.

Tough to fathom for you in our technologically inclined society isn't it?

yeah i think we'll see Green more after this WC. probably bad news for us if he's coming into games.

but i'm excited to see him get some time. i just think it'll be after the WC before we see him really get a chance.

which is all going to cue up the landon debate during the entire WC :lol:

Last edited:

I will be pissed if Green gets any meaningful minutes in the WC.... the kid ain't ready. 

Chandler, I hope shows out when he is given an opportunity.
Wanna learn how to swim? Get thrown in a pool.
Agreed, but for me the pool has been these friendlies and he has more or less drowned in those showings.

I would love to be proven wrong, have him subbed in at the 85th minute mark against Ghana/Portugal/Germany and find the back of the net for a game winner; I would go berserk 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
When i was a casual fan, I learned a lot through the FIFA game surprisingly :lol: and whatever that was fed to me through the media I took in without a doubt. That was until I started watching/streaming games and lurking the official football thread helped me create my own opinions.

I frequent the official football thread more than the NBA and College Football one now :lol:

Last edited:
45 Things That Will Definitely Happen At World Cup 2014

1. Players will complain that the ball is too light/moves weirdly/is part of a conspiracy perpetrated by FIFA.
2. Casual fans will complain incessantly about diving.
3. Hardcore fans will complain incessantly about Luis Suarez diving.
4. There will be reports of arguments in the Dutch dressing room.
5. Someone from the French squad will miss a game after a night of partying and “entertaining female visitors.”
6. People will rejoice at the lack of vuvuzelas.
7. People will miss being able to make vuvuzela jokes.

8. A small team will be denied a heroic win against a big team by a controversial refereeing decision in the last five minutes.
9. Pundits will express regret that “exciting” African teams with “raw talent” are let down by “poor goalkeeping” and it will be dreadful.
10. A major star will get injured in training in the weeks before the tournament and everybody will obsess over whether they’ll be fit in time.
11. They will end up playing, but will be rubbish.
12. The German team will be described as “not up to the standards of previous German sides” but will nonetheless make it to the semi-finals.
13. The Brazilian team will be described as “not up to the standards of previous Brazil sides” but will nonetheless make it to the semi-finals.
14. The Italian team will be described as… you get the idea.
15. There will be unnecessarily in-depth reporting about how hot it is.
16. Sepp Blatter will continue to look and act like Dr. Evil.

17. Maradona will give an impromptu, unintelligible sidewalk press conference.
18. After years of tempered expectations, English newspapers will get excited after a half-decent result in the group stage.
19. England will then choke in remarkable fashion. ::cough:: penalties ::cough::
20. Ronaldo will score (at least) one goal of superhuman caliber.
21. And (at least) one goal that is a complete fluke.
22. Either way, he will lift up his shirt to celebrate.
23. He will have a nine-pack.

24. David Beckham will be shown in the stands wearing an asteroid-sized watch and sitting with someone incredibly important.
25. Countless hours will be devoted to explaining “goal-line technology.”
26. Goal-line technology will not be used.
27. The directors of the TV coverage will spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on female Brazilian fans in the crowd rather than the action on the pitch.
28. Neymar will have a haircut that people will only be able to describe as… experimental.
29. Pundits will make several hundred references to Messi not being the best ever until he wins a World Cup.
45 Things That Will Definitely Happen At World Cup 2014

30. Belgium will be described as the “dark horse” of the tournament several hundred times.
31. A true dark horse will make it through to the quarter-finals through defensive determination and luck. (Bosnia & Herzegovina?!)
32. There will be a substitution drama in at least one game in Manaus, when every player on the field turns into a puddle and evaporates.
33. Pele will be shown on TV every 10 minutes.
34. There will be protests.
35. Probably a lot of protests.

35. American fans will get tired of the questionable play-by-play and even more questionable color commentary on ESPN and switch to the Univision feed even though they don’t understand Spanish.
36. Franz Beckenbauer will look stately and so will Zinedine Zidane.
37. Every time Spain plays, the cameras will constantly jump to shots of Shakira juxtaposed with Pique.
38. If Spain gives up a goal, her suffering and angst will be our suffering and angst.

39. There will be an unexpected standout (probably a tricky winger or attacking midfielder) who will get scooped up by Chelsea/Real Madrid/PSG immediately after the tournament.
40. Arjen Robben will do that thing where he cuts in from the right and shoots with his left and announcers will be apoplectic that defenders still allow him to do it.
41. He will score.
42. American announcers will utter some version of “you have to wonder how Landon Donovan’s presence could have changed things” every time a U.S. player so much as breathes wrong.
43. Gervinho will have the worst hair at the tournament.
44. Kyle Beckerman will be a close second.
45. It will be incredibly fun and unpredictable and you won’t want to miss a second.
30 and 42 are so true. And I fear 8 will be as well.

Pokemon is going to the World Cup: The Japanese national team will wear Pikachu when they play in Brazil

qnpo2w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom