OFFICIAL FINAL FANTASY XIII THREAD-- OUT NOW FOR PS3/XBOX360**********

It is linear, but I don't understand how people praise X so much and hate on this.... its been extremely similiar in that aspect (minus the towns).

Well, haven't played a solid FF since X but since this is on a new generation system, i expect this to be smooth. Off to purchase.......

surprised the 360 got an equal rating as the ps3 in ign and gamespot. i was expecting a 9.0 or better but regardless im still copping.

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

Originally Posted by debs 168

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

I haven't bothered to buy this, but i'm going to assume it must not be wowing anyone...you can tell a good game by the size of an NT thread pertaining to it.

its an rpg, tho. the replies will come but the game just came out so you'll have to wait. the main story is around 35+ hours. some ppl say even more. there's no way the thread will grow a lot until ppl reach that mark.
bingo.

RPG threads on NT are always slow moving. I was watching my roommate play this game, joint looks
eek.gif
pimp.gif
And he wasn't crying about how linear it is, like some people.

-The Juice
So far this is a good game, but not that great of an RPG. You don't even get to do any side missions until chapter 11 (13 total), and all of those are battle missions.

Everything else is too damn linear which is bothering me as an old school RPG head, its one thing to evolve but to dismiss it completely? I knew all of this going in but damn....

IDK man this is a good game but does not have that FEEL that I'm used to. Battle system still annoys me a bit but its definitely a nice touch in a lot of areas (especially with the interactive Eidolons).

Just make sure you give each character a specialty rather than an all around skill when developing them, it'll make your life easier down the line.

....and I don't even want to get into the whole Ultimate Weapon guide yet, from some of the Japanese translations there is sooooo much you gotta do.
laugh.gif
sick.gif

I know this is a FF thread but after fives hours of playtime in it I gotta say Mass Effect 2 > FF XIII

I'm not feeling the story at all plus vanille & hope are annoying as hell. The battle system is cool and whatnot but these characters are not moving me at all. I'm playing this on a 360(its free) and if it doesnt pick up by the end of the first disc, I think I'll be giving up on this game.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

I know this is a FF thread but after fives hours of playtime in it I gotta say Mass Effect 2 > FF XIII

I'm not feeling the story at all plus vanille & hope are annoying as hell. The battle system is cool and whatnot but these characters are not moving me at all. I'm playing this on a 360(its free) and if it doesnt pick up by the end of the first disc, I think I'll be giving up on this game.
Gets better after a bit, trust me.

I'm actually starting to dig the fighting system, its pretty complex and innovative. I would still prefer the OG style but this wouldn't be FF without any risks involved.

Game is good overall. Not as great and expansive as the others. But the visuals on the PS3 version are just amazing!!

for those that obtained Odin...
was it as difficult for you as it was for me?
feels like it took me at least 30 tries... I was ready to Google it.
what was your strategy?
please use spoiler tags too

for odin i..
Spoiler [+]
had both characters on ravager paradigm which has chain bonus i think and just chucked away until i had to heal with hope. i used that shroud with the haste and i think had hope on synergist for a quick protect and repeated ravager chains until i had to press square. took me 3 tries lol.

this game feels like ffx but on autopilot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NeptuneBeats187

laugh.gif
@ IX being your favorite.

Mine is at home right now... haven't cracked it open yet. I have been playing FFXI for a bit as of recent. Mainly due to a lot of the new updates, and FFXIV releasing soon. That's just going to stomp any and everything straight out.

What server?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RetroXIII

for odin i..
Spoiler [+]
had both characters on ravager paradigm which has chain bonus i think and just chucked away until i had to heal with hope. i used that shroud with the haste and i think had hope on synergist for a quick protect and repeated ravager chains until i had to press square. took me 3 tries lol.

this game feels like ffx but on autopilot
laugh.gif

smh.gif

took me like an hour

Odin took me a good 10 tries.

Spoiler [+]
I pretty much just alternated between ravager/medic and ravager/ravager. Once his shield is up I attacked with both parties, and had Lightning become a medic during Odin's attacks (he mainly picks on Hope).

....oh, and I recommend you build Vanille's Saboteur crystalium because it has a lot of stuff that will be useful come later on. I also suggest saving your CP points to specialize in a specific path (whether its Ravager, Medic, etc), just give each person a role and have them all with high leveled spells rather than all around games.

I HATED the battle system to start, especially the first two hours of the game (which were tedious and boring IMO), but once you're past Shiva it becomes a much more tactical game with a lot of thinking ahead, even during the simplest of fights. I prefer battling with 2 characters during the game as opposed to 3, doesn't feel as congested and out of control.

Alot of haters in here....
laugh.gif

I love the game. Well I agree it doesn't feel like a true FF, I have vastly enjoyed the direction they went. I still grind for CP, the linearity of the game is not an issue.

For those that played FFX, you couldnt choose where you went until you got the airship which was at least halfway through....

Battle system is excellent. My only gripe is how I die during regular battles more than I would against a boss.

And too the person that put Mass Effect > FFXIII, why?

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Alot of haters in here....
laugh.gif

I love the game. Well I agree it doesn't feel like a true FF, I have vastly enjoyed the direction they went. I still grind for CP, the linearity of the game is not an issue.

For those that played FFX, you couldnt choose where you went until you got the airship which was at least halfway through....

Battle system is excellent. My only gripe is how I die during regular battles more than I would against a boss.

And too the person that put Mass Effect > FFXIII, why?
pimp.gif
I like this post.

there is like 100 hours of gameplay and dudes are complaining because they cant explore the mountains?
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

-The Juice

^ Exactly.

I mean, the storyline (so far) has been one of the better in any recent release.

Honestly, SE uses Final Fantasy to try new things with the genre. Sometimes they have amazing success (expanding to 3D, cut scenes, FMV, ect), sometimes they meet with failure (intital FFXI release), but I like that they are constantly trying new things and keeping it fresh.

There are RPG's out there for people who like the same thing ...cough*Star Ocean*cough...

And we still have FFXIII Versus coming down the line in teh near future (I hope).

argh, finally beat the elemental turtle thingy w/ lightning and hope ...one of the toughest battle for me
mad.gif
...had to try like 10 times to figure out how too beat him

+Spoiler

That cutscene with Sazh and Vanille ( that one where she draws the line in the dirt) had me
laugh.gif
. I say he smashes before the end.

Originally Posted by eteam o2

for those that obtained Odin...
was it as difficult for you as it was for me?
feels like it took me at least 30 tries... I was ready to Google it.
what was your strategy?
please use spoiler tags too
one try with odin, no lie. wait until you get further into the game the bosses gets even tougher. 

If you are up to Chapter 7 (healing the Rifts).....

Spoiler [+]
After you finally get to Hope's Dad's home when the PSICOM soldiers invade the home, thats a great spot to accumlate some CP. Each battle takes only about 35-55 seconds each if you use RAVAGER-COMMANDO-RAVAGER to accumulate the stagger on each of the the enemies. Every time you take a quick walk around the home the enemies keep coming in, so just rack em up.
pimp.gif

They also drop an item called Incentive Chip which serves no purpose with upgrading anything (only 1 exp) but sells for 2500 a pop at any shop, and Gil is hard to come by so this is a good spot to just stack up some extras.

There are better spots later in the game from what I've read, but if you are just getting up to this point in the game like I am, spend some time here.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Odin took me a good 10 tries.

Spoiler [+]
I pretty much just alternated between ravager/medic and ravager/ravager. Once his shield is up I attacked with both parties, and had Lightning become a medic during Odin's attacks (he mainly picks on Hope).

....oh, and I recommend you build Vanille's Saboteur crystalium because it has a lot of stuff that will be useful come later on. I also suggest saving your CP points to specialize in a specific path (whether its Ravager, Medic, etc), just give each person a role and have them all with high leveled spells rather than all around games.

I HATED the battle system to start, especially the first two hours of the game (which were tedious and boring IMO), but once you're past Shiva it becomes a much more tactical game with a lot of thinking ahead, even during the simplest of fights. I prefer battling with 2 characters during the game as opposed to 3, doesn't feel as congested and out of control.
eek.gif
 10 tries???

This is on my FIRST try... with 5 stars
smokin.gif
.  I got used to the whole system pretty quick.  The new battle system is exciting, makes it more of a strategic RPG.  Lovin' the game so far

15gxn3q.jpg

2mcynpe.gif

Back
Top Bottom